News Article: Toby Enström will not play in the olympics

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What a beauty.

Anyone who thinks Toby is anywhere near a problem on this team is lost. He's part of the solution.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Gotta love the commitment. :clap:

He also probably doesn't feel too bad considering the depth at D Sweden has accumulated. It's a tough defense to make as is.

Maybe not, but he just lost his chance at ever playing for the national team again. But guess he doesn't care anyways so...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You gotta love Google Translate :laugh:

cYgbTK9.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Maybe you can google translate the comments to get an inside view of what the swedes feel.

From what I can gather (Google Translate is dicey at best) people are understandably upset. Some can't understand why he would pass up a chance to play for Sweden at the Olympics just to focus on a team they don't think will make the playoffs. Others think that the guy running the team is the reason some guys pass up playing for Sweden.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
From what I can gather (Google Translate is dicey at best) people are understandably upset. Some can't understand why he would pass up a chance to play for Sweden at the Olympics just to focus on a team they don't think will make the playoffs. Others think that the guy running the team is the reason some guys pass up playing for Sweden.

Pretty spot on. Our coach is not the most popular one we've ever had, let's just say that... But hockey being the 2nd most popular sport in Sweden, the national team gets decent attention during olympics and world championship (at least when we win/compete for medals during the later stages), and even though Enström is not a famous name in Sweden (now it will be though, media loves these kinds of stories!) people here will have a hard time forgiving anyone for passing. Kim Johnsson kinda got away with it because people here just forgot who he was. :laugh:

NHL is not big over here, so we usually appriciate any tournament where we get to see our best players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pretty spot on. Our coach is not the most popular one we've ever had, let's just say that... But hockey being the 2nd most popular sport in Sweden, the national team gets decent attention during olympics and world championship (at least when we win/compete for medals during the later stages), and even though Enström is not a famous name in Sweden (now it will be though, media loves these kinds of stories!) people here will have a hard time forgiving anyone for passing. Kim Johnsson kinda got away with it because people here just forgot who he was. :laugh:

NHL is not big over here, so we usually appriciate any tournament where we get to see our best players.

I can see it from both sides. I understand Swede's POV that you were born and raised in the country, you should honor your homeland by representing them in the Olympics. Also, it's an opportunity of a lifetime. How many people actually get to do that?

On the other side, as a Jets fan I am really encouraged to have a guy who is so invested in our city and hockey team that he would pass that opportunity up in order to focus on helping us make the playoffs. I wouldn't have been upset if he had decided to play for Sweden, that's for sure.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Ya, I have a Swede friend who thinks the Coach may also play a role in Enstrom's decision.

Not my opinion, but his.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
It got changed, he was added.

If he was on the initial list ( he was not-----snub), He may have been more receptive of going. They snubbed him first. I remember a thread on Wpg Jets HFboards discussing how Enstrom was beter than 1/2 the players on Sweden innitial defensive List.

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013
Would actually prefer as few Jets as possible to play. I think the guys that go over are going to be exhausted from the mental stress plus travel/games when they get back. Some teams may find themselves at a disadvantage during the stretch run if they have 5 or 6 players in Russia - chance those guys could fade a bit at the end of the season.

I realize there is also a benefit playing with other high skill guys for your national team, but I think the disadvantages probably outweigh the advantages. Would prefer a really well rested Jets team for the (hopefully important) last few months.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
He knows the NHL is shut down during the Olympics right? There's obviously more behind his decision, be it coaching, family, etc. I know we're all homers but don't assume his snub is related to a love affair with the city of Winnipeg.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
But by all accounts we will have several players going. Mostly for the US (Bogo, Wheeler, maybe Buff) and Czech Republic (Pavs), with an outside possibilities for Jokinen (Finland), Kane and Ladd (Canada).

Do we dislike players who choose to go?

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Snubs the National team back for initially snubbing him, books 2.5 week holiday during season, wind over gullible local fans in process ... all in a day's work.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
The coach probably didn't even know Enström existed for not long ago.
I don't like him(the coach) but I would like to see Enström in the team. Sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad