News Article: Toby Enström will not play in the olympics

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Aww...:(

I do like that thread on the main boards btw. Apparently Toby is a locker room pest in Winnipeg!:laugh:

Honestly, I don't get where people come up with this ****. Toby from every single thing I've heard is a very well liked teammate and very loyal to Winnipeg and the org. But, I suppose that isn't 'interesting' enough.

I'm just glad that players realize that the internet is full of haters and most fans in Winnipeg love them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Personally I like to see as many Jets as possible playing in the Olympics. Everyone has a right to make their own decisions but in my mind playing for your country should be seen as your duty. Imagine if guys like Crosby, Toews, Weber etc. decided they didn't want to play for Canada.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Personally I like to see as many Jets as possible playing in the Olympics. Everyone has a right to make their own decisions but in my mind playing for your country should be seen as your duty. Imagine if guys like Crosby, Toews, Weber etc. decided they didn't want to play for Canada.

...I wouldn't really care that much?
Obviously I want them to play, but if Sid said "I feel like I'm best protecting myself from injury by focusing only on the Pens" I would appreciate that and support him.

I would rather the Winnipeg Jets succeed than see Jet players represent their countries. I think that playing when they could be resting hurts us. I won't knock anyone for choosing to go, I just hope they aren't given the opportunity.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
...I wouldn't really care that much?
Obviously I want them to play, but if Sid said "I feel like I'm best protecting myself from injury by focusing only on the Pens" I would appreciate that and support him.

I would rather the Winnipeg Jets succeed than see Jet players represent their countries. I think that playing when they could be resting hurts us. I won't knock anyone for choosing to go, I just hope they aren't given the opportunity.

Sorry I just disagree. Playing for your country on the highest stage is an honour. BTW the Hawks did okay in the 2010 playoffs after having their top 3 players play in the Gold medal game. Our division opponents will see lots of their players play in the Olympics are you suggesting this will give us an advantage over them?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry I just disagree. Playing for your country on the highest stage is an honour. BTW the Hawks did okay in the 2010 playoffs after having their top 3 players play in the Gold medal game. Our division opponents will see lots of their players play in the Olympics are you suggesting this will give us an advantage over them?

Yes.
It may not be enough, since they're better. But I 100% believe rest is FAR better for a player than flying to Russia and doing everything associated with the Olympics.

It might be an honour, but its far from a duty.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes.
It may not be enough, since they're better. But I 100% believe rest is FAR better for a player than flying to Russia and doing everything associated with the Olympics.

It might be an honour, but its far from a duty.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I can imagine a number of reasons for Enstrom declining the belated offer:
1)I have long believed him to be not 100% physically, although he is looking pretty good right now. At best, he wants to prevent further injury to a small body wracked by abuse over the past 2 seasons Big Risk.
2) He was not invited to the initial camp, meaning he is far down their depth list, so he assumes his potential contribution to the team to be limited. Limited Reward
3) There are some indications that the coach does not hold him in high regard and visa versa. We should be especially sensitive to that one. Burmi Syndrome (Sometimes it's better to not walk in to a bad situation rather than walk away)
4)Given the above, he may honestly feel that other, younger players should be given the opportunity and honour to compete for their country, one he has had and that comes to very few players in a lifetime.

There may be other reasons as well that Enstrom has chosen not to disclose, in keeping with his private and modest nature. I am perfectly willing to respect both his decision and his right to keep the detailed reasons private. The abuse he has taken on the main board is really unfortunate and is a mirror for some here to look into when players on our team disappoint.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
highest paid jet, super slight, im sure chevy tapped him on the shoulder about that one. hey kid, hang around the peg for two weeks or visit a tropical island, just dont go to the olympics. wonder if he got a bonus. i kid, i kid......wel....

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
A little disappointed. Enstrom, despite some of his shortcomings could have provided something on the olympic ice for the Swedes.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Honestly, I don't get where people come up with this ****. Toby from every single thing I've heard is a very well liked teammate and very loyal to Winnipeg and the org. But, I suppose that isn't 'interesting' enough.

I'm just glad that players realize that the internet is full of haters and most fans in Winnipeg love them.

I suggest that rather than being steadfastly condescending towards everyone who doesn't agree with your sunny view of the situation, you spend some time getting up to speed on the club vs country controversy that has been the subject of much debate for several years.

Anyone familiar with this knows that Toby's apparent excuse is the "the dog ate my homework" equivalent when it comes to representing your national team.

He is likely being pressured by the Jets organization, there are likely financial / insurance issues at play, and the previous 'snub' is probably also contributing to this. Being comfortable with these possibilities does not make you a hater.

Just one of several examples from other sports:

http://www.businessofsoccer.com/2013/09/08/club-vs-country-injury-compensation-and-the-club-protection-program/

So, my friend, that is where some of us come up with this **** .

Last edited by a moderator:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I suggest that rather than being steadfastly condescending towards everyone who doesn't agree with your sunny view of the situation, you spend some time getting up to speed on the club vs country controversy that has been the subject of much debate for several years.

Anyone familiar with this knows that Toby's apparent excuse is the "the dog ate my homework" equivalent when it comes to representing your national team.

He is likely being pressured by the Jets organization, there are likely financial / insurance issues at play, and the previous 'snub' is probably also contributing to this. Being comfortable with these possibilities does not make you a hater.

http://www.businessofsoccer.com/2013/09/08/club-vs-country-injury-compensation-and-the-club-protection-program/

Dude, read his post and read the context. Wow.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I stand by every word I said. Again, I prefer to be positive about the situation instead of ripping the guy on a bunch of presumptions. If you'd prefer to go all cloak and dagger and try to manufacture other reasons why Toby said no then by all means, go ahead.

Hell, you may very well be right. I just like to try and be as positive about things as I can, especially when there is no proof to support the negative.

Potato, potato.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Enstrom audio

Enstrom-at-practice-300x200.jpg

Tobias Enstrom spoke after practice- On decision not to play. What were his reasons? Do his past injuries play into this? Tough decision to make. Did he take some time to make the call? Did the travel play into it? Was it harder considering Sweden is considered a Gold Medal favourite?

To listen click here.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I was responding to an ongoing series of comments woW chicka Wow WOW

Someone on the main boards said Toby was a locker room pest, Jet said he didn't know where people come up with that **** and then you linked to an article about "club v country" as "where people come up with that ****"

If that article is where people came up with that, could you quote the part on Toby's locker room presence?

It's not as though the points you raised aren't completely valid on their own and you are completely within your rights to call it the Olympic equivalent of "the dog ate my homework" - it's just not a response to the post you quoted so triumphantly. I dunno, if you meant that as a reply to the entire discussion it's a bit misleading to say that "So, my friend, that's where we came up with X" when X is a defined idea (Toby being a locker room pest) that has no relevance to your post.

Not trying to jump down your throat, just saying that's why people were saying you missed the context.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Someone on the main boards said Toby was a locker room pest, Jet said he didn't know where people come up with that **** and then you linked to an article about "club v country" as "where people come up with that ****"

If that article is where people came up with that, could you quote the part on Toby's locker room presence?

It's not as though the points you raised aren't completely valid on their own and you are completely within your rights to call it the Olympic equivalent of "the dog ate my homework" - it's just not a response to the post you quoted so triumphantly. I dunno, if you meant that as a reply to the entire discussion it's a bit misleading to say that "So, my friend, that's where we came up with X" when X is a defined idea (Toby being a locker room pest) that has no relevance to your post.

Not trying to jump down your throat, just saying that's why people were saying you missed the context.

Ah yeah I see I did mess that one up. Sorry folks

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
In my opinion, the little fella is not going because he does not want to be a healthy scratch for the length of the tournament. He would rather spend time with his famly. If he leaves Winnipeg during the break, his story will be proven a lie.

I have my doubts that he would even have made the team.

Lidstrom lite is more like Diet Enstrom.

My 2 cents

I like his compete level but as the coach says, he is good, nothing else at this time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In my opinion, the little fella is not going because he does not want to be a healthy scratch for the length of the tournament. He would rather spend time with his famly. If he leaves Winnipeg during the break, his story will be proven a lie.

I have my doubts that he would even have made the team.

Lidstrom lite is more like Diet Enstrom.

My 2 cents

I like his compete level but as the coach says, he is good, nothing else at this time.

Good meaning average on what will probably be another year as a non-playoff team. Does anyone want a player on their country's Olympic team to be an average NHL player unless your country is Belarus.

My personal opinion is that too many guys on HFBoard-Jets value most of the Jets talent far too high, ex. Antro, Hainsey, Wellwood, Mittens no one wanted these guys even at a bargain price, Hainsey got signed really late as fill in for season ending injury to a Canes D man, who knows if he would have got picked up.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I personally have no issues with toby taking the olympic break off for some r&r, training and family time. it is his own personal choice to whether he would like to try to make the team or not. perhaps he had a bad experience while partaking in the 2010 olympics or maybe it is as simple as "been there done that" and would rather concentrate on bettering his nhl career. regardless I am ok with his decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00