Rumor: Tobias Rieder won't attend Coyotes camp - Agent Requests Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just give it to him 2.5 million is VERY reasonable

Problem was that his initial ask was really unreasonable and only now, after making every threat possible, is his camp willing to take 2.5

They're just trying to look like the good guys.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Seems kinda silly to be so far apart when the numbers are so close. But i can see what Arizona are thinking here. You can't just start handing out whatever players ask for whenever they make a scene.

You look at a very comparable player in Baertschi who Vancouver locked up for 2-years @ $1.85M and Reider's ask starts looking just a tad further out of reach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Seems kinda silly to be so far apart when the numbers are so close. But i can see what Arizona are thinking here. You can't just start handing out whatever players ask for whenever they make a scene.

You look at a very comparable player in Baertschi who Vancouver locked up for 2-years @ $1.85M and Reider's ask starts looking just a tad further out of reach.

This. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the Coyotes are doing here, but I expect they will budget a bit to get a deal done. If I were JK, I would tell him now the the tournament is over you have one week to report or you sit for the year. Maybe going to the KHL might open his eyes.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

What exactly makes Baertschi comparable to Rieder?
They are about the same age, but that's about it. Rieder has shown (slightly) better offense and is much better defensively. He was an important part on the Coyotes penalty-kill, while Baertschi wasn't used in such a role at all.

2.5 million per year is very far away from an outrageous demand for a player like Rieder.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I am pretty sure this is over term as much as dollars. The Coyotes might go to 2.5 mill, but only if they get a 3 or 4 year deal. With a 2 year deal, Coyotes are closer to 2.2 mill. It doesn't seem like the dollars are that far away, but term might be?

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
What are the Coyotes looking for in return? Would something like Rattie + Lindbohm/Vanelli be of interest?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With all the injuries Dallas has on forwards Rieder could be something to look at if the price was right .

Would ok defensive prospects + picks be enough ?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
jesus, he's worth that what are they doing?

His comps would put him below that worth. It's not an egregious overpay but given how the negotiations have played out with this information going public, I can see why the Coyotes will want to draw that line where they're at. I do understand Rieder trying to get every penny he can. I absolutely respect that but it was not likely a smart decision for his agent to go public with this stuff and ask for a trade. It will impact his options and his worth down the road.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
W
2.5 million per year is very far away from an outrageous demand for a player like Rieder.

If you assume that's the initial demand, sure. Only the agent is talking to the media though. It's more likely they started higher and went to the media with this whole "We're being reasonable" act.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
If you assume that's the initial demand, sure. Only the agent is talking to the media though. It's more likely they started higher and went to the media with this whole "We're being reasonable" act.

Newsflash, a player started asking for a high amount, and then negotiated down to a lower number.

OH MY GOD, WHAT A TERRIBLY CLASSLESS MOVE BY THE PLAYER AND AGENT. :sarcasm:

i'm missing the problem. They are currently asking for a reasonable amount. He has missed virtually no training camp time as he was at the WC, and his performance at the WC shows he's in game shape. So why not negotiate to that reasonable number today??

Why does his unreasonable ask (even if it happened) from July matter today.

That said.... What would it take to get him. Sven Andrighetto + 2nd?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Newsflash, a player started asking for a high amount, and then negotiated down to a lower number.

OH MY GOD, WHAT A TERRIBLY CLASSLESS MOVE BY THE PLAYER AND AGENT. :sarcasm:

i'm missing the problem. They are currently asking for a reasonable amount. He has missed virtually no training camp time as he was at the WC, and his performance at the WC shows he's in game shape. So why not negotiate to that reasonable number today??

Why does his unreasonable ask (even if it happened) from July matter today.

If you read the quote thread, it started with the premise that Rieder's camp has gone from a KHL threat to a softish trade request coupled with saying we're just asking for 2.5M. Rieder's camp also disclosed the Coyotes offer at 2.1

Since Rieder's camp has publicized these details, if Chayka just cuts Rieder a 2x2.5 contract tomorrow he clearly demonstrates that throwing out trade requests is a quick path to getting more money than the Coyotes think you are worth. Bad precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad