Rumor: Tobias Rieder won't attend Coyotes camp - Agent Requests Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
one, do you know what lindholm is asking for? If so, please point me to the source. Two, lindholm has a hell of a lot more leverage in contract negotiations since he's not replaceable; we're talking about a guy superior to morgan rielly (and i'm a leafs fan.)

rieder's well within his rights as an rfa to do what he's doing, and the coyotes are within their rights to tell him to go pound sand for having an inflated sense of self-worth.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
2.2 per for 2 years seems fine for him. Far better players took smaller bridges at some point so it can't be just about the money , can it ?

2.2 for 14+23 player is completely reasonable.

Could be even lower, so I guess Rieder has intangibles.

member 157595

Thank you, much appreciated. It's off-topic but I'd give Lindholm $6-6.25M/year all day long if it's for 8 years, personally. I love Ekblad but he's overpaid at this stage.

Rieder's not particularly special and he's asked for a trade from two teams prior to his 25th birthday. Whether he's getting bad advice or he's initiating this himself is beside the point; he's damaged goods right now at this rate. When you consider the level of forward talent that Arizona has in the pipeline...he's really gambling here IMO.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So what you're advocating for here is that players should set their own prices and GMs should bend over backwards to give them that? The offer from Arizona is perfectly in line with other similar calibre players. Why is the issue with Arizona, and not Reider? This is the second trade he's requested after not really proving himself.

You give one player that extra value they want, and all players are going to want that extra 10% or so to sign in Arizona. For a team that is trying to pinch pennies with its budget, that is a death sentence. This sends a message that you'll get your fair value - you want that extra 500k? Earn it.

Ridiculous. You're talking as if this is an 8 year deal. 500k is a joke for a team that spends nothing on payroll.
That's my point. You guys are slamming the guy as if he's asking for insane term and insane numbers. In two years if you don't like him he's off your books. I don't see the coyotes at any point in the next year going out and spendind mega bucks on free agents so why nickle and dime a guy for such a ****** contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ridiculous. You're talking as if this is an 8 year deal. 500k is a joke for a team that spends nothing on payroll.
That's my point. You guys are slamming the guy as if he's asking for insane term and insane numbers. In two years if you don't like him he's off your books. I don't see the coyotes at any point in the next year going out and spendind mega bucks on free agents so why nickle and dime a guy for such a ****** contract.

Are you suggesting that its okay to overpay him because he wants a shorter deal? What about if they don't want to move on from him in 2 years? He'll want a raise then too, and he'll want to play hardball then. You overpay a guy like Rieder now and you set a precedent going forward that you will cave. With so many young guys on the team, caving on a relatively meaningless player and contract really sets them up to be in the weak spot with future negotiations. Play hardball now, and your future guys might be less likely to try the same tricks.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Are you suggesting that its okay to overpay him because he wants a shorter deal? What about if they don't want to move on from him in 2 years? He'll want a raise then too, and he'll want to play hardball then. You overpay a guy like Rieder now and you set a precedent going forward that you will cave. With so many young guys on the team, caving on a relatively meaningless player and contract really sets them up to be in the weak spot with future negotiations. Play hardball now, and your future guys might be less likely to try the same tricks.
Or they'll look at you like your a cheap POS like Lindholm does
Or hate you Ryan Johansen did . Also see pk subban and how nickle and dining went for the habs.

You have tons of cap space in the future. If you have to give him a raise because he's improving and you want to keep him, then you have a 50-60 point player. Why would you think you could extend him for nothing at that point? He will hate you even more and ask for a super high amount next time.

Except he's bailing now and you won't get much for him. Again bad asset management

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Or hate you Ryan Johansen did . Also see pk subban and how nickle and dining went for the habs.

You have tons of cap space in the future. If you have to give him a raise because he's improving and you want to keep him, then you have a 50-60 point player. Why would you think you could extend him for nothing at that point? He will hate you even more and ask for a super high amount next time.

Except he's bailing now and you won't get much for him. Again bad asset management

That's basically my view. The hardline stance of "take this or your qualifying offer of 875kx1" is pretty short sighted and just breeds ill will.

I also think the agent playing to the media is a contributing factor, so I'm a little sympathetic to the idea of not wanting to bendover and reward stupid behaviour.

This is such a small difference to bridge that it seems idiotic that either side has burned their bridges by drawing a line in the sand.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's basically my view. The hardline stance of "take this or your qualifying offer of 875kx1" is pretty short sighted and just breeds ill will.

I also think the agent playing to the media is a contributing factor, so I'm a little sympathetic to the idea of not wanting to bendover and reward stupid behaviour.

This is such a small difference to bridge that it seems idiotic that either side has burned their bridges by drawing a line in the sand.

That's all true.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Tobias Reider is not a Lindholm, Johansen, Subban caliber of player. Nor is he a 50 point player. Not even a 40 point player. You don't give these dime a dozen young guys extra money just because you are afraid that they might ask you to overpay later. That's how you ruin your cap situation.

Arizona gave up a garbage prospect to get him. As long as they get someone who can contribute it isn't "bad asset management".

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens could use another LWer at some point. And we're reaching a point in time with Pouliot where he either forces his way onto the roster, or I bet he's the chip we use to bring in said LW. I know the Coyotes would prefer a RHD, but he's been a RD in the past.

How does Rieder compare to Boedker? Similar wheels and skillsets?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Philly has four forwards for two expansion draft slots (Weise, Raffl, Laughton, Cousins), so a deal that sent two of them to Arizona for Rieder + a pick could be good for both teams.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Philly has four forwards for two expansion draft slots (Weise, Raffl, Laughton, Cousins), so a deal that sent two of them to Arizona for Rieder + a pick could be good for both teams.

Beat me to it!

Laughton + for Rieder makes some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad