Rumor: Tobias Rieder could spend 2016/17 in KHL

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He is the Comp.Avg. almost exactly. If I'm Arizona, I have four RFA deals on the table, with no room for any negotiation of any kind. Pick one:

1yr, 2.00, 2.00avg
2yr, 5.50, 2.25avg
3yr, 7.00, 2.33avg
4yr, 10.0, 2.50avg

If we want to buy back UFA, certainly he has a right to ask for more:

5yr, 14.5m, 2.9avg
6yr, 20.0m, 3.33av

yes it'll be more expensive if you buy his UFA years, i see him getting ~3.5M for a 6 year deal.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
yes it'll be more expensive if you buy his UFA years, i see him getting ~3.5M for a 6 year deal.

And Arizona should focus on a shorter deal. 4yrs costs 10mil and 6yrs cost 21mil? That means you're paying an avg of 5.5mil per year for the extra two years. No thanks. Not for Rieder. Keep it short.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
And Arizona should focus on a shorter deal. 4yrs costs 10mil and 6yrs cost 21mil? That means you're paying an avg of 5.5mil per year for the extra two years. No thanks. Not for Rieder. Keep it short.

I highly doubt we could get him for 10 mill at 4years. We are not gonna buy any FA years at 2.5 mill per. I'm assuming he has 2 yeas left at RFA but that's just off the top of my head and could be wrong.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

No way. They just signed Murphy for 6 years @3.85 mill. Murphy is a top 4D right now with top 2 potential. Reider is a third line winger with second line upside. Even if he becomes a solid second line winger, he isn't worth what Murphy is today as a top 4D.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
He is the Comp.Avg. almost exactly. If I'm Arizona, I have four RFA deals on the table, with no room for any negotiation of any kind. Pick one:

1yr, 2.00, 2.00avg
2yr, 5.50, 2.25avg
3yr, 7.00, 2.33avg
4yr, 10.0, 2.50avg

If we want to buy back UFA, certainly he has a right to ask for more:

5yr, 14.5m, 2.9avg
6yr, 20.0m, 3.33av

But both of those make me extremely nervous. I'd prefer to bring him right to UFA and not actually buy back any of those years.

I think you are dreaming with those numbers. But at least it is a beautiful dream.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I love Rieder, but the facts remains he's probably a 3rd line forward in the NHL. I think a lot of teams have recently made some poor choices handing out 4-6 year contracts to bottom 6 forwards. No matter how much we love their play, those are the guys that teams should generally be looking for opportunities to replace with better, younger or cheaper talent, not lock them up for a half decade.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
The days of paying for intangibles are done.

Did that end today?

I love Rieder, but the facts remains he's probably a 3rd line forward in the NHL. I think a lot of teams have recently made some poor choices handing out 4-6 year contracts to bottom 6 forwards. No matter how much we love their play, those are the guys that teams should generally be looking for opportunities to replace with better, younger or cheaper talent, not lock them up for a half decade.

Can you name a few? Not disagreeing just curious what deals you are not too fond of.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

This. We as fans get a little carried away about our players thinking they can't be replaced.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Nino Niederreiter did 14+22 for 36 in his ELC contract year.

Received: 1.9, 2.6, 3.5 on a 3 year bridge.

Rieder should get 2.3 aav for 2 years or 2.6 for 3 years.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hanzel
Rieder
Mayo

For

Grabovski
Pulock
Strome

?

That's robbery for Arizona.

NYI is loaded with middle six left wingers already and they are fine with Barzal, Nelson, and Strome as options down the middle. Pulock has the potential to be NYI's first true QBPP since Streit departed and a viable top four defenseman as well. Stome is still valued highly by NYI, this would be selling on him low.

Grabovski's contract expires in two years (before Tavares needs an extension), it's not really hurting them. Plus, it's very possible he ends up on LTIR.

Hanzal's a good third line center, but will demand a big pay raise and has an injury history. Mayo is a prospect.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
That's robbery for Arizona.

NYI is loaded with middle six left wingers already and they are fine with Barzal, Nelson, and Strome as options down the middle. Pulock has the potential to be NYI's first true QBPP since Streit departed and a viable top four defenseman as well. Stome is still valued highly by NYI, this would be selling on him low.

Grabovski's contract expires in two years (before Tavares needs an extension), it's not really hurting them. Plus, it's very possible he ends up on LTIR.

Hanzal's a good third line center, but will demand a big pay raise and has an injury history. Mayo is a prospect.

Value isn't that far off. Strome is coming off a terrible year and he's constantly in the coaches doghouse, Pulock has potential but he still hasn't shown anything in the NHL yet.

NYI is getting a good, complete 2C (dunno how you can say Hanzal is a 3C) and a good, young winger who is very likely to become a complete top 6 winger (he's currently a high end 3rd liner). Grabovsky is a massive cap dump, Mayo needs to be swapped with another prospect or pick to even out the value (mostly because Hanzal only has 1 year left on his deal).

Sorry but Strome isn't worth what he was 5 years ago, his value keeps going down each season. If we're talking about Strome from a few seasons ago, then yea it wouldn't be a good deal for NYI.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
To be fair, Rieder is a great two-way player that brings more than points.

To be fair, Niederreiter is a great 2 way player that also forechecks and hits. Lead the team in takeways at mid season (before war on ice went down)

varano

Jun 27, 2013
To be fair, Rieder is a great two-way player that brings more than points.

No....
This is exactly what I'm saying. The days of paying for intangibles are done.

Guys aren't dishing insane contracts anymore for being a "shut down guy" or "two way player"...

We signed winik two years in a row because of his intangibles at a fair market value deal. That I get.
But giving a guy like this 5 million a year makes no sense.

Nino is actually a very good comparable contract wise.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Value isn't that far off. Strome is coming off a terrible year and he's constantly in the coaches doghouse, Pulock has potential but he still hasn't shown anything in the NHL yet.

NYI is getting a good, complete 2C (dunno how you can say Hanzal is a 3C) and a good, young winger who is very likely to become a complete top 6 winger (he's currently a high end 3rd liner). Grabovsky is a massive cap dump, Mayo needs to be swapped with another prospect or pick to even out the value (mostly because Hanzal only has 1 year left on his deal).

Sorry but Strome isn't worth what he was 5 years ago, his value keeps going down each season. If we're talking about Strome from a few seasons ago, then yea it wouldn't be a good deal for NYI.

So his value went down after a 50pt rookie season the following year? I'm gonna take giant a leap and say no on that. He had a sophomore slump, he isn't the first and wont be the last.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No....
This is exactly what I'm saying. The days of paying for intangibles are done.

Guys aren't dishing insane contracts anymore for being a "shut down guy" or "two way player"...

We signed winik two years in a row because of his intangibles at a fair market value deal. That I get.
But giving a guy like this 5 million a year makes no sense.

Nino is actually a very good comparable contract wise.

Players get paid for intangibles. Not every player can score, or defend, or take FO's, so what you are saying is wrong. There is talk that the Coyotes are offering in the 2.3 range is about right, or as you say market value. What insane value is to you may be market value for that player and team. Now, if Rieder got 5 mill. that would be insane.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad