Rumor: Tobias Rieder could spend 2016/17 in KHL

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Rieder’s agent, Darren Ferris, continues to assert that the two sides are not close to a deal, with a significant difference of opinion on what Rieder is worth. Rieder set career highs for goals (14) and assists (23) last season. He averaged 17:18 of ice time in 82 games in the last season of a three-year, $2.8 million entry-level contract.

Ferris said he has some strong interest from European and KHL clubs (Metallurg and Omsk are possible), and he also intimated on Friday that Rieder could receive an offer sheet from another NHL team, which would force the Coyotes to either match the offer or walk away with compensation. It is unclear whether that will happen.
http://arizonasports.com/story/742516/yotes-notes-tikhonov-returns-to-russia/

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
whats he asking and whats he being offered from Yotes?.. he had a decent year last year but im hoping he isn't asking a stupid amount of money

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Wow, I was pissed the Oilers gave him away for nothing even after the the rumour he wouldn't sign with us... but now.... he'd definitely an expensive middle-6er.

JeiJeieL

Jun 15, 2015
Kemi, Finland
are you serious? is that actually true? If so, I don't blame Yotes for letting him walk

http://arizonasports.com/story/737080/coyotes-tobias-rieders-agent-sides-not-close-contract-talks/

"Rieder’s three-year, $2.8 million entry-level contract expired on July 1. He made $920,000 last season and was due a qualifying offer with a 10 percent increase in salary. Ferris feels Toronto’s Nazem Kadri ($4.5 million AAV) is a fair comparable given his similar production level last season (45 points) and Rieder’s superior analytics in terms of possession. He also cited recently signed free agent Jamie McGinn (three years, $10 million), but the Coyotes have other comparables in mind."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You would think he would be traded or sign an offer sheet before going to the KHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As JeiJeieL posted, it came straight from Rieder's agent. We mostly assumed it was posturing but, yeah...
Yeah but for all we know that is just a starting point. All negotiations start off asking too much.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Damn, that would suck for the Coyotes. They need young guys like him. Things were looking decent for them with that young core. Hopefully they get it figured out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How does this agent view either Kadri or McGinn as comparables, let alone both? That literally doesn't make any sense. Kadri and McGinn aren't even comparables for each other. Also, there's a zero percent chance that either Metallurg or Omsk offers him a Kadri type contract.

I actually think a McGinn contact isn't that bad of an overpay (though it clearly is) but not because McGinn is a comparable (which he's clearly not).

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
How does this agent view either Kadri or McGinn as comparables, let alone both? That literally doesn't make any sense. Kadri and McGinn aren't even comparables for each other. Also, there's a zero percent chance that either Metallurg or Omsk offers him a Kadri type contract.

I actually think a McGinn contact isn't that bad of an overpay (though it clearly is) but not because McGinn is a comparable (which he's clearly not).

"My client will only accept a 3x3.33 or 6x4.5 contract. Literally nothing else."

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He wants Kadri money (~4,5m) per his agent, that's not going to happen.

4.5 million for a guy who hasn't hit 40 points yet...wow. I'm wondering if this kid has some entitlement issues. Rumor was that the Oilers traded him because he wasn't going to sign with them and would go back into the draft if he wasn't signed, so Tambellini basically had to trade him. Now he's over valuing himself as an RFA. Makes you wonder what some people are thinking. He's really impressed me in the few games I have seen him, could be a legit producer in this league as a middle six player, but he hasn't earned half of that 4.5 million yet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Normally I'd agree but the agent 3 weeks ago also in the same interview dropped the "could play in Europe" bomb and now there's this KHL rumor.
Agents will do that though, especially those who talk too much.

Personally I could see him getting moved or signing an offer sheet. I could see a few teams offering him something in the 3x3 ballpark.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Whoo rieder has to cool it. Kadri for his career averages ~50pts alon with great advance stats, he's a center who's played multiple years and produced with trash linemates. This was tobias' first good year. A bridge deal is fair but if he wants term than I think the yotes should offer 3.2x5 thats a fair deal currently. Otherwise a 2.5×2 is a fair deal for what he has shown. If he was smart he would sign a bridge and realive that with the yotes improving as a team he could pot 50-55 pts if he works hard the next two seasons and get a 5+mill deal. He isn't worth kadri money(who himself took a big discount imo) right now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Look at the very recent signings of Kevin Hayes and Jesper Fast. How can Rieder argue he deserves more than Hayes? While I'm sure the Coyotes aren't saying he's worth less than Fast, are they? How about Victor Rask? Rieder is very obviously worth at least a million less per year than Rask. There are all kinds of RFA signings this summer that can be used to set his value. He's very clearly with less than 3.5mil per year but probably worth at least 2.5mil per year.

I challenge anyone to point to a single RFA forward signing this summer that indicates he should get 3.5avg or more.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He wants Kadri money (~4,5m) per his agent, that's not going to happen.

Well that's dumb. Not only is Kadri better and more proven but he also signed a bridge contract right out of his ELC so they're not comparable in service time either, and Kadri's contract bought more UFA years than Reider's would.

His agent can't be that dumb to actually think Kadri is a comparable. Unless this is his first year on the job. Not sure who his agent is.

That being said I like him and would like to have him in the NHL still. Hope they figure something out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad