Salary Cap: To make the playoffs, or not make the playoffs...that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Grabner was of underrated usefulness over most of his Islanders career, but Art Staple last year said he's got groin problems. Those are chronic and without his wheels and acceleration, Grabner's nothing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The only way would be to trade for a more expensive player than Kunitz and be forced to include Kunitz in the deal.

I wonder if the Kings would have interest in a deal involving Kunitz and Lucic? If Lucic doesn't fit their cap beyond this season, perhaps they'd take Kunitz (someone who plays a style that fits them)?

That would be the right deal to make, because even if we can't re-sign Lucic we would be rid of Kunitz forever.

If LA weren't at the top of their division, I could at least understand something like that from their perspective (it would take a plus but at least logically makes some sense). With them going for a Cup, why would they intentionally get worse just so they can have a competent player for next year?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
If the Pens are going after a dman in free agency, I hope they go after Demers. He'd fit well with Dumo.

Maatta Letang
Dumo Demers

solid af

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If the Pens are going after a dman in free agency, I hope they go after Demers. He'd fit well with Dumo.

Maatta Letang
Dumo Demers

solid af

Sounds good. I would suspect Dallas would try to re-sign at least one of him or Gogo but if he makes it to FA, I'd be interested.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What's everyone's opinion on trading for Grabner (if he's cheap).

Other than bringing something different to the lineup then Kunitz does, does he really help us? I mean his speed would be nice... but he's even less skilled then Kunitz is - which is saying something. Also, where would he play? Because right now - for better or worse, we look something like this (when healthy):

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Fehr - Bonino - Bennett
Rust - Cullen - Porter
Wilson - Plotnikov

Now I'm not a Porter fan at all (I liked what he brought in his first stint this season, but he's very replaceable). And I like what I've seen from Wilson. But unless we're trading one of Kunitz or Bonino... (and I can't see us trading either without getting a body back), I'm not sure what the point of acquiring Grabner would be.

I'd certainly kick tires on him in the offseason if both Kunitz and Bonino are moved, as in a bottom 6 role I think he would be a nice piece to have. But only if the price (cap/term) is right, and other moves are made to open up some roster spots.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
TIOPS today...

Futures of Cole and Plotnikov
Mulling trade for another former Ranger
Talking to Western Conference team

If anyone wants to update the board, its gonna be a long week.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The only way would be to trade for a more expensive player than Kunitz and be forced to include Kunitz in the deal.

I wonder if the Kings would have interest in a deal involving Kunitz and Lucic? If Lucic doesn't fit their cap beyond this season, perhaps they'd take Kunitz (someone who plays a style that fits them)?

That would be the right deal to make, because even if we can't re-sign Lucic we would be rid of Kunitz forever.

I'm sure LA will find a way to get rid of Brown and keep Lucic. With how LA does things, I'm guessing they plant some incriminating evidence on Brown to get rid of yet another bad contract.

Anyways. If we're going after a UFA, I like Ladd. And the more I read about that Rychel kid, the more I think this team should be doing what it can to pluck him away from the Blue Jackets before they clear out some of their own bad contracts and make room for him to stay longterm.

This organization should be trying to find Sidney Crosby's longterm LWer. You can find a capable #4 D-man in free agency. Longterm, we shouldn't need more than that with Letang, Dumo, Maatta and Pouliot.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
TIOPS today...

Futures of Cole and Plotnikov
Mulling trade for another former Ranger
Talking to Western Conference team

If anyone wants to update the board, its gonna be a long week.

Notable former Rangers that could be traded:

Benoit Pouliot
Derek Dorsett
Brandon Prust
Lee Stempniak

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But no, I don't see Grabner replacing Kunitz. I really don't see anyone replacing Kunitz to be honest. For example, if the Penguins traded for Boedker, they'd probably play him with Malkin and move Hagelin down to line 3.

There is no way they could afford that cap wise (unless he's taking a pretty cheap contract) We have 63m committed to the cap next season (with Dupuis on LTIR). So about 9-10m in cap space assuming a slight raise in the cap.

We have to sign Maatta and Bennett. I figure those two will cost somewhere between 3.5-5.5m depending on what contract Maatta gets (bridge/long term deal). Then we have to fill out the depth F ranks. Call that 5x700k (3.5m). Add in a 7th D and a backup and that's another 1.4m.

So not signing any big contracts and best case we're around 7.5-8.5m just taking care of our own players and filling out the roster. Give Maatta a long term contract and we're around 9.5-10.5m spent.

So no, odds are we're not going to be doing much in FA this summer. And if we do, it's going to be predicated on moving salary out, with guys like Kunitz, Bonino, Daley and Cole pretty close to the top of the list based on what they currently provide, their value and their cap hits.

MrWilson*

This organization should be trying to find Sidney Crosby's longterm LWer.

Even as an obvious and much maligned Kunitz supporter, I actually agree with this statement--just not this season.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
There is no way they could afford that cap wise (unless he's taking a pretty cheap contract) We have 63m committed to the cap next season (with Dupuis on LTIR). So about 9-10m in cap space assuming a slight raise in the cap.

We have to sign Maatta and Bennett. I figure those two will cost somewhere between 3.5-5.5m depending on what contract Maatta gets (bridge/long term deal). Then we have to fill out the depth F ranks. Call that 5x700k (3.5m). Add in a 7th D and a backup and that's another 1.4m.

So not signing any big contracts and best case we're around 7.5-8.5m just taking care of our own players and filling out the roster. Give Maatta a long term contract and we're around 9.5-10.5m spent.

So no, odds are we're not going to be doing much in FA this summer. And if we do, it's going to be predicated on moving salary out, with guys like Kunitz, Bonino, Daley and Cole pretty close to the top of the list based on what they currently provide, their value and their cap hits.

it was literally just an example to show that kunitz will stay with crosby no matter what lol. that's all.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Perhaps not Lucic, but I could see some sort of deal like that happening this season. All depends on who Rutherford is looking at and what holes he really wants to address. There's potentially a lot of moving parts here.

The good news is I'm not really all that worried about what he'll do. Yes he made a massive mistake with the Despres/Lovejoy trade last season (and it still pisses me off). However... he's also admitted it twice now that it was a mistake. Which means I'm not worried about him moving Maatta or Dumoulin in a ****** trade. Same with Pouliot or Sprong. And it's not like we have much for futures left, so I'd think even he would realize we kinda need what few we have left.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Maatta Letang
Dumo Demers

solid af

Sounds good. I would suspect Dallas would try to re-sign at least one of him or Gogo but if he makes it to FA, I'd be interested.

I actually suspect that Dallas will focus on Demers and let Gogo walk, solely as Demers will cost less then Gogo (I figure 4-4.5m vs 5.5-6m).

But if he makes it to FA, he would be at the top of my list - and well before getting a better LW.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Pouliot would either be the perfect fit or a complete train wreck. There would be no in between with that guy.

Such a talented player with all the tools you could ask for in terms of vision, shot, skating, size, etc.

But he's odd in that Kessel type way, where you have no idea if the guy is purposely dogging it sometimes or if he's just one of those guys that truly believes he's trying his best when he's doing poorly and has nothing more to give.

The "good" version of Pouliot would be a point per game player and a perfect compliment to either 87 or 71. He'd make THEM better and vice versa. He's that talented and that dangerous.

The "bad" version of Pouliot would be absolutely devastating.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
it was literally just an example to show that kunitz will stay with crosby no matter what lol. that's all.

I honestly do not think he will. I can see a multitude of trade options that see Kunitz getting moved for various reasons. A couple examples: Kunitz for various rentals: Ladd/Eriksson/Hudler/Hamhuis/Vrbata/Boedker/Lucic/McGinn/etc.

Something like that while not sexy, gives a team an asset now and next season for someone who'll be gone this summer. There are still teams in the playoff hunt who would benefit from something like this. Remember, not ever team is just looking for futures and to rebuild. Most still want to be successful in the short term. And while many on here will look at that and scoff, I still maintain that Kunitz holds a LOT more value around the league them most here give him credit for.

Other options are deals where he's moved out for pure futures. However the only way I see that happening is in the offseason, and only if Rutherford wants to spend a little money and doesn't want much back for Kunitz. However this is where we'll get screwed. He'll either suck ass in the playoffs and down the stretch, and thus we'll either not be able to move him, or if we do, will not get much in return (which wouldn't be the end of the world). Or he'll continue like he has been since Dec 2nd (50 pt pace) and he'll be seen as part of the solution and kept around.

Either way I think we're going to get screwed.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Pouliot would either be the perfect fit or a complete train wreck. There would be no in between with that guy.

Such a talented player with all the tools you could ask for in terms of vision, shot, skating, size, etc.

But he's odd in that Kessel type way, where you have no idea if the guy is purposely dogging it sometimes or if he's just one of those guys that truly believes he's trying his best when he's doing poorly and has nothing more to give.

The "good" version of Pouliot would be a point per game player and a perfect compliment to either 87 or 71. He'd make THEM better and vice versa. He's that talented and that dangerous.

The "bad" version of Pouliot would be absolutely devastating.

Id roll the dice on Pouliot as long a Kunitz is going back the other way.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed, but, nothing exciting about the other list either, unless it may be a Hamhuis and Dorsett package. Pouliot's contract is no peach either.

Would you trade Kunitz for Pouliot? 1.5x3.8m or 3.5x4m. I think Pouliot would be a nice add... but at that contract you've basically cemented at least one of Pouliot/Hagelin to our top 6 for the next 3 years. And that's assuming both do not play there. While that might (just maybe) not be the end of the world... neither does it excite me all that much.

That said, Edmonton fans have been very happy with Pouliot. Might not be showing up on the stat sheet, but he's doing the little things to help his line be successful. Plus odds are Kunitz would not waive to go to Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad