Salary Cap: To make the playoffs, or not make the playoffs...that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What's everyone's opinion on trading for Grabner (if he's cheap).

Meh. He's too expensive on the cap (3MM) and is a right winger. I'd go after him if we were picking up another LW'er in another deal, but we don't have the cap space. Plus, we already have Rust as 3rd line RW'er and I don't see Grabner as enough of an upgrade to pay assets.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Meh. He's too expensive on the cap (3MM) and is a right winger. I'd go after him if we were picking up another LW'er in another deal, but we don't have the cap space. Plus, we already have Rust as 3rd line RW'er and I don't see Grabner as enough of an upgrade to pay assets.

Grabner has been playing LW lately for the Leafs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Grabner has been playing LW lately for the Leafs.

Okay but he's still not a top 6 winger. Let's say he is a LW, then you are looking at:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Grabner-Bones/Fehr-Rust
Cullen-Fehr/Bones-Porter

Is that an upgrade? Probably, but I don't know that it's an upgrade to the right spot.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Okay but he's still not a top 6 winger. Let's say he is a LW, then you are looking at:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Grabner-Bones/Fehr-Rust
Cullen-Fehr/Bones-Porter

Is that an upgrade? Probably, but I don't know that it's an upgrade to the right spot.

I see Grabner along the lines of Hagelin. Is he an ideal top 6 winger? Probably not. But I think he'd fit in with the team well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Grabner's just fast. That's pretty much all he has in common with Hagelin.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd like Loui here, but given our cap issues, wouldn't he just be a rental for a few months?

Tough to say, I mean if we're moving cap around to sign Boekder long-term I imagine Eriksson really wouldn't be any different (probably a shorter term deal than Boedker but similar cap-hit). I'm no economist, but the Canadian dollar is probably gonna make the salary cap decline.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hagelin is also a better passer than Grabner. Which is huge considering the players he is playing with.

I would agree.

I'm not saying Grabner would be the answer to our problems, but I think he'd be a good fit for how the Penguins want to play now.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I would agree.

I'm not saying Grabner would be the answer to our problems, but I think he'd be a good fit for how the Penguins want to play now.
I would like him as well, even though Hagelin is clearly a better player. Grabner would still be a solid fit. Hell, I wouldn´t even mind taking a cheap flier on Etem too.. I´m just so in love with that speed. Replacing players like Porter or Kuhn with another speed demons.. that would be deadly. :D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They're both fast, have no hands and Hagelin is better defensively.

So why do we want a worse Hagelin in the top 6? Also, do you believe there is any chance we acquire Grabner and he plays with Crosby over Kunitz?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I would like him as well, even though Hagelin is clearly a better player. Grabner would still be a solid fit. Hell, I wouldn´t even mind taking a cheap flier on Etem too.. I´m just so in love with that speed. Replacing players like Porter or Kuhn with another speed demons.. that would be deadly. :D

Yes that speed is the one reason I'd like to see him on the team.

So why do we want a worse Hagelin in the top 6? Also, do you believe there is any chance we acquire Grabner and he plays with Crosby over Kunitz?

He's not that much worse. He probably actually has better hands than Hagelin (more career goals).

But no, I don't see Grabner replacing Kunitz. I really don't see anyone replacing Kunitz to be honest. For example, if the Penguins traded for Boedker, they'd probably play him with Malkin and move Hagelin down to line 3.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's obvious at this point that the organization and Sid like Kunitz's style of game on that line.

I wouldn't be trading major assets for any replacement unless it's for that type of player, and the coaching staff is on board with playing the ****ing guy with Sid.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
What's everyone's opinion on trading for Grabner (if he's cheap).

The Leaf's Lunch guys were joking last week that TOR will give the Pens someone for "future considerations" to ensure they get our 1st this year.

Grabner w/ 1M retained for Porter! Do it!

MrWilson*

It's obvious at this point that the organization and Sid like Kunitz's style of game on that line.

I wouldn't be trading major assets for any replacement unless it's for that type of player, and the coaching staff is on board with playing the ****ing guy with Sid.

Obviously.....

You get a gold star today.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

The only way would be to trade for a more expensive player than Kunitz and be forced to include Kunitz in the deal.

I wonder if the Kings would have interest in a deal involving Kunitz and Lucic? If Lucic doesn't fit their cap beyond this season, perhaps they'd take Kunitz (someone who plays a style that fits them)?

That would be the right deal to make, because even if we can't re-sign Lucic we would be rid of Kunitz forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad