Salary Cap: To make the playoffs, or not make the playoffs...that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The former Ranger is Prust, btw.

mrw-a-friend-said-he-wasnt-going-to-watch-deadpool-because-he-hates-ryan-reynolds-176100.gif

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Pouliot would either be the perfect fit or a complete train wreck. There would be no in between with that guy.

Such a talented player with all the tools you could ask for in terms of vision, shot, skating, size, etc.

But he's odd in that Kessel type way, where you have no idea if the guy is purposely dogging it or if he's just one of those guys that truly believes he's trying his best and has nothing more to give.

The "good" version of Pouliot would be a point per game player and a perfect compliment to either 87 or 71. He'd make THEM better and vice versa. He's that talented.

The "bad" version of Pouliot would be absolutely devastating.

I would rather go after Dick Axelsson, he is basically a more physical Rick Nash. He has had some some mental problems but seems to have but most of it together. Sure might play with to much heart some times, but that wouldn't I see has disadvantage for this team.
Another guy I would be interested in his the Speedster Fredrik Pettersson, he agitator, who is great on the forecheck, with decent playmaking skills and the best slapshot and onetimer among Swedish forwards.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have no interest in Prust. But, again might be a part of a bigger package including Hamhuis. Such as we'll take Prust if you take Cole.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pouliot would either be the perfect fit or a complete train wreck. There would be no in between with that guy.

Such a talented player with all the tools you could ask for in terms of vision, shot, skating, size, etc.

But he's odd in that Kessel type way, where you have no idea if the guy is purposely dogging it sometimes or if he's just one of those guys that truly believes he's trying his best when he's doing poorly and has nothing more to give.

The "good" version of Pouliot would be a point per game player and a perfect compliment to either 87 or 71. He'd make THEM better and vice versa. He's that talented and that dangerous.

The "bad" version of Pouliot would be absolutely devastating.

He seems to have been a good fit in EDM as a glue guy on their scoring lines. He was a fourth overall pick who isn't that kind of impact player in this league. Like Perron, you wonder what kind of player he is.

I sure as **** am not sending a 1st their way like last time, but I wanted him to sign with us back in 2014.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
His agent requested a trade, and they've been trying to trade him for awhile.

That is the opposite of what IC says, however.

that wouldn't surprise me with how he's been handled/treated

does TIOPS literally have any sources though? I just see people **** on him constantly

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
that wouldn't surprise me with how he's been handled/treated

does TIOPS literally have any sources though? I just see people **** on him constantly

He's about as reliable as Eklund, but he may have gotten even less right in his life than Eklund has.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
He's about as reliable as Eklund, but he may have gotten even less right in his life than Eklund has.

so what you're saying is this is good that he's reporting Plotnikov requested a trade, because it's probably wrong and/or opposite?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ehhh, I didn't say they aren't trying to trade him. I said he has no value.

He has not requested a trade and if/when he does, TIOPS won't be breaking it.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That time of the year when fake rumors come out for click bait. I would not be surprised if Plots really DID want out though, and i'll be surprised if we even have another player from Europe wanting to sign with Pens any time soon.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I actually suspect that Dallas will focus on Demers and let Gogo walk, solely as Demers will cost less then Gogo (I figure 4-4.5m vs 5.5-6m).

But if he makes it to FA, he would be at the top of my list - and well before getting a better LW.

Demers, Gogo...aslong as we get a top 4 dman that can move the puck. Gogo would be playing on the 2nd unit, no way would Letang get replaced by a guy who knows what he's doing on the PP, can't have that.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
That time of the year when fake rumors come out for click bait. I would not be surprised if Plots really DID want out though, and i'll be surprised if we even have another player from Europe wanting to sign with Pens any time soon.

same

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I would imagine that, were the Penguins looking to make a move, that you'd probably have to think, "where is their surplus?" And "what do they need?"

So, number two, first: a top-6 LW and a top-4 D.

If they get a top-4d, let's pretend it's Hamhuis, he would likely slot in with Letang. Now, let's just say they won't move Maatta or Dumoulin.

We now know their surplus. Daley or Cole, maybe Lovejoy, but probably not.

Now, if that top-4D is younger and better, the surplus is Daley or Cole or maybe one of Dumoulin and Maatta, but gosh, that would have to be a really spectacular dman they're getting.

For LW, their surplus is still Cole and Daley, and honestly, one of them likely has to go for salary purposes.

Then you think Kunitz or Bonino or Bennett would be available, with their value being listed in that order. Hypothetically.

Now, you might wonder, "do Daley and Cole and Kunitz have value?!?"

Top-4D are always in demand. Cole is not one but Daley may be. He's certainly helping his case right now.

Now, again, let's just pretend. Let's say there are 5 top-4D on the market. Not just top-4D, but "oh wow, really?" Plus Hamhuis. Now you might think this hurts Daley's value, but Daley wouldn't be going for futures, it would be a hockey trade, and Daley wouldn't command as much in return. So that might make him more attractive. Plus, his contract, if he plays like he has for the Pens, is really nice. 3.3, not 4.4 like some mistakenly suggest).

Plotnikov may be an add on to one of those deals, but nothing close to the centrepiece. Maybe they snag a 5th for him at the deadline. Who knows. No one knows. Everything is awesome.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I would imagine that, were the Penguins looking to make a move, that you'd probably have to think, "where is their surplus?" And "what do they need?"

So, number two, first: a top-6 LW and a top-4 D.

If they get a top-4d, let's pretend it's Hamhuis, he would likely slot in with Letang. Now, let's just say they won't move Maatta or Dumoulin.

We now know their surplus. Daley or Cole, maybe Lovejoy, but probably not.

Now, if that top-4D is younger and better, the surplus is Daley or Cole or maybe one of Dumoulin and Maatta, but gosh, that would have to be a really spectacular dman they're getting.

For LW, their surplus is still Cole and Daley, and honestly, one of them likely has to go for salary purposes.

Then you think Kunitz or Bonino or Bennett would be available, with their value being listed in that order. Hypothetically.

Now, you might wonder, "do Daley and Cole and Kunitz have value?!?"

Top-4D are always in demand. Cole is not one but Daley may be. He's certainly helping his case right now.

Now, again, let's just pretend. Let's say there are 5 top-4D on the market. Not just top-4D, but "oh wow, really?" Plus Hamhuis. Now you might think this hurts Daley's value, but Daley wouldn't be going for futures, it would be a hockey trade, and Daley wouldn't command as much in return. So that might make him more attractive. Plus, his contract, if he plays like he has for the Pens, is really nice. 3.3, not 4.4 like some mistakenly suggest).

Plotnikov may be an add on to one of those deals, but nothing close to the centrepiece. Maybe they snag a 5th for him at the deadline. Who knows. No one knows. Everything is awesome.

With Daley playing well, why not just keep Daley? Do that, and you still have Kunitz, Cole and Lovejoy to dangle.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I dunno how we will do it but let's trade Kunitz, Cole, Bonino and other pieces and somehow land Bodker and Gogo. Maybe Pouliot for Bodker (then re-sign him asap), Kunitz+other stuff for Gogo (then re-sign him before he hits FA), Cole for futures, Bonino to Ducks for something or to Montreal for DSP. In less then 1 year JR would then have got rid of Kunitz, Sutter, Dupuis, Scuderi....MIRACLE!!! ALMOST THERE!!!!

edit- Oh and let's also trade Lovejoy for futures...suck it Guerin!

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With Daley playing well, why not just keep Daley? Do that, and you still have Kunitz, Cole and Lovejoy to dangle.

Two reasons. One, if we're bringing in a D (either a rental that we want to sign or one with term), we cannot afford Daley making 3.3m next season to play a depth role.

Two, you have to have a buyer. There might not be a buyer for Cole, while there likely is a buyer for Daley.

In short, Rutherford has a lot of options depending on what he wants to do and who he's willing to move.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If you move Daley you NEED another good skating top 4 guy coming back in return, whereas if you move any of the other 3, you have more options.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Daley's long term future is here, but that's a huge blow to the blueline if we move him for a winger with nothing coming back.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you move Daley you NEED another good skating top 4 guy coming back in return, whereas if you move any of the other 3, you have more options.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Daley's long term future is here, but that's a huge blow to the blueline if we move him for a winger with nothing coming back.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad