Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk signed a seven-year, $57.5 million deal. The AAV is 8.214 million

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It would be amazing if the Sens hired Will Ferrell to do a video spot for the Brady captaincy announcement, ala Trebek Stutzle pick.
Will Ferrell playing Alex Trebec a la SNL skit: answer, The next captain of your Ottawa Senators.

cuts to Will Ferrel as Frank the tank behind Jeopardy podium: who is, Brady Tkachuk?

Audio cue Stone cold style glass Smash, cuts to clip of Brady doing the Frank the tank Cele after scoring

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
From what Pierre and Leblanc have intimated, the reason for the wait is that the position of captain in a Canadian market comes with a host of off ice pressures and responsibilities, along with media and marketing expectations, they want to take their time to make sure the person they choose is able to shoulder that burden.

It has been made abundantly clear that the lockeroom and on ice leadership is an established group of players already.

That is all to say that I think the ‘hold up’ is that they want Brady to get up to game speed, be with the team for a bit and have the past stresses and effects of missing camp, and a stressful negotiation well in the rearview mirror before adding a bunch of additional stress and responsibility on the player.

It seems to be yet another deliberately cautious move by the team along this development path.

It would really suck to slap the C on Brady right now if he comes out a little behind game speed for a few weeks, the guy just needs to play and make up for lost camp right now. I think that’s what they are probably watching for.

Reactions: Oriole

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
From what Pierre and Leblanc have intimated, the reason for the wait is that the position of captain in a Canadian market comes with a host of off ice pressures and responsibilities, along with media and marketing expectations, they want to take their time to make sure the person they choose is able to shoulder that burden.

It has been made abundantly clear that the lockeroom and on ice leadership is an established group of players already.

That is all to say that I think the ‘hold up’ is that they want Brady to get up to game speed, be with the team for a bit and have the past stresses and effects of missing camp, and a stressful negotiation well in the rearview mirror before adding a bunch of additional stress and responsibility on the player.

It seems to be yet another deliberately cautious move by the team along this development path.

It would really suck to slap the C on Brady right now if he comes out a little behind game speed for a few weeks, the guy just needs to play and make up for lost camp right now. I think that’s what they are probably watching for.

I also assume that they need time to identify an appropriate game for a "Brady Tkachuk Team Captain" night.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
Happy to know it's all good after a tough negotiation. Guess the Tkachuks aren't evil bad guys after all.
The most interesting part of the interview to me was that Keith basically saying all the media reports coming out were wrong. I’m guessing term wasn’t the main roadblock like the media types claimed.

Reactions: R We A Team

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The most interesting part of the interview to me was that Keith basically saying all the media reports coming out were wrong. I’m guessing term wasn’t the main roadblock like the media types claimed.
They only said this at the veeerrrrrry end.

the original reports were everyone wanted long term.
It was this board hammering that Tkatchuk only wanted a bridge and would settle for nothing less and then would leave after that.

now I’m not saying any of that is true or false.
Smart by Keith to say oh basically any negative thing you heard was false. He could be lying just the same.

Reactions: DrEasy

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It was this board hammering that Tkatchuk only wanted a bridge and would settle for nothing less and then would leave after that.
It was not just this board. That was a view that was openly and repeatedly expressed by Garrioch in mainstream media. A five-second Google search has already pulled up this quote:

"The Senators would still like to sign Brady Tkachuk to an eight-year, $64 million deal and move on from this negotiation. Brady Tkachuk’s camp still wants a bridge deal. That’s something that makes no sense to the Senators."
Source.

Does this board take these kinds of ideas and run with them? Sure. But in this case, HF Sens wasn't the genesis of the idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad