Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk + Cnd 4th in 2025 or 26 to Florida for Tkachuk (signed for 8x$9.5) for Huberdeau, Weegar, Cole Schwindt and a Cnd 2025 or 26 1st

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Not surprised Tkachuk was gunning to be the face of the team. A lot of Sutter's negative comments in the last 10-15 games of the season seemed pointed towards Tkachuk and Gaudreau to a lesser extent. I don't think Darryl really ever cared much for Matthew.

Cashing in on his value is probably the smartest thing this club has done in decades

Tkachuk hit the lottery. Was smart.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
There seems to be a lot of people who really like Tkachuk :S

Huberdeau played on primarily on a line with Bennett and Duclair (later Giroux) and put up huge stats. He also drove their PP.

Tkachuk played on Calgary's top line and there's no one suggesting that he could step into line 2 there and be even decent.

I'm not putting down Tkachuk, but this trade makes absolutely no sense for Florida, because Huberdeau-Barkov stacked lines are incredibly hard to stop but he's good enough to be separated. Huberdeau will get one of Calgary's top 2 centres and a RW, who if he can shoot, will have a good year (that's the perfect spot for Pelletier IMO).

Even after that, Florida also gave up Weegar in the deal when Weegar had a fair amount of value on his own.

Florida had a few overtimes last year where their opponents didn't touch the puck once because of Huberdeau and Barkov, and if Jo can develop chemistry with either of Calgary's C, the same thing will likely happen in Calgary. Basically, he will wait until he has the slightest advantage then exploit the crap out of it (whether it be his C sneaking around the D, or his D sneaking in).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not hard to read between the lines here.​
Eric Francis: What does your team have now that you didn’t have as much before.​
Darryl Sutter: I think we’re just a more mature team. By bringing in Kadri and the two boys from Florida, those boys are coming off big years on teams that were very effective. I’d say that, right there, is of value for us for sure.​

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Would have liked to hear Darryl go in depth on Schwindt but Francis didn't ask him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So sounds like Backlund won't be named captain and maybe nobody will. Doesn't want a captain who isn't signed to a long term contract and could leave the team in one or two years.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I'm changing course; Kadri is going to be the Flames number one center. Of the changes, Sutter seems more enthused about him than anyone else and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Before last year, Tkachuk played on the second line and was great. What are you talking about?

I think he's talking more about Tkachuk coming into Florida and making Bennett and Duclair 50+ point players like Huberdeau can.

Tkachuk played on Calgary's second line for more or less 5 years. Over those years, Backlund and even Frolik's numbers never really saw any kind of amazing improvement year over year playing with Matthew. I like Tkachuk, but I also understand his limitations.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I think he's talking more about Tkachuk coming into Florida and making Bennett and Duclair 50+ point players like Huberdeau can.

Tkachuk played on Calgary's second line for more or less 5 years. Over those years, Backlund and even Frolik's numbers never really saw any kind of amazing improvement year over year playing with Matthew. I like Tkachuk, but I also understand his limitations.
Correct. If Huberdeau played with Backlund and Pelletier, they'd put up decent numbers.

Florida lost 3 top 9 forwards and added 1. The 1 they added is being suggested to play on the top line (which is the only line that didn't lose anyone (from the end of the year). Calgary gets a guy who can either be put with one of your top 2 centres and makes his line the defacto number 1 or who could be played with Backlund and would create a 3rd scoring line. Florida gets a guy who is a good all around player but whose last name (and his brother) give him a much bigger reputation than he's earned.

Without making this trade, Florida likely splits up Bennett and Reinhart and still has 3 scoring lines. With it, they almost certainly have to play a top 6/bottom 6.

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As much as I've ragged on Chucky this off season, he's still a really likeable guy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As much as I've ragged on Chucky this off season, he's still a really likeable guy.

He's a solid guy. I don't mind him asking for the trade the way he did and making sure it was fair for him and the Flames. The Tkachuks are difficult to negotiate with, but they are solid hockey business people. Similar to on the ice, you love them on your team, you hate them as competition.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He's a solid guy. I don't mind him asking for the trade the way he did and making sure it was fair for him and the Flames. The Tkachuks are difficult to negotiate with, but they are solid hockey business people. Similar to on the ice, you love them on your team, you hate them as competition.
Agreed. Loved him on the Flames and will miss him, lots of respect for how he handled things with the Flames. Hope him and Bennett do some damage in the east.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
We're just going to have to follow the Panthers, hope that they put together Chucky, Bennett and Lomberg and dream of the chaos that might have ben on the Flames.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We're just going to have to follow the Panthers, hope that they put together Chucky, Bennett and Lomberg and dream of the chaos that might have ben on the Flames.

While fun to think, That line would be awful :laugh:

Honestly, I think the cats take a massive step back, because they don't have a player that could get 50 out of Bennett anymore. I don't think a lot of Flames fans understand the talent we got back in Huberdeau. He's as talented as Gaudreau, except massive and harder to disrupt.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Honestly, I think the cats take a massive step back, because they don't have a player that could get 50 out of Bennett anymore. I don't think a lot of Flames fans understand the talent we got back in Huberdeau. He's as talented as Gaudreau, except massive and harder to disrupt.

I think they understand him as well as the Panthers understand what they got in Tkachuk. Still very happy, but not what was envisioned and/or described.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Completely agree, Panthers will take a massive step backwards IMO. Barkov is still elite, Reinhart is finally living up to his 2nd overall draft status, but Bennett without Huberdeau will revert back to being a 30+ point guy. He played with a 115+ point player last year and had a whopping 21 assists, like bruv. They also lost Marchment who was a PPG guy for them last year. They lost 1/2 of their top defending pair. Sammy better hope Tkachuk plays with him, if Florida juices the top line with Barkov, Reinhart and Chucky, then Bennett is screeeeeewed.

I also believe Hubes will bring us AT LEAST 2 Cups.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Completely agree, Panthers will take a massive step backwards IMO. Barkov is still elite, Reinhart is finally living up to his 2nd overall draft status, but Bennett without Huberdeau will revert back to being a 30+ point guy. He played with a 115+ point player last year and had a whopping 21 assists, like bruv. They also lost Marchment who was a PPG guy for them last year. They lost 1/2 of their top defending pair. Sammy better hope Tkachuk plays with him, if Florida juices the top line with Barkov, Reinhart and Chucky, then Bennett is screeeeeewed.

I also believe Hubes will bring us AT LEAST 2 Cups.
Lmfao, 2 cups, you are as ridiculous as I am at preseason hype, I remember when we got Duane Sutter's as coach, I thought we would win multiple cups no problem LOL, and when we got Olli Jokinen I thought he would score 60 easy. I thought Valimaki was a slam dunk star defenseman. I sure hope you are right though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad