Speculation: Tkachuk & Bennett 2019 contracts

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tkachuk gets a 3 year bridge to line up with Gio’s contract expiring. Bennett might get locked up if the price is right

Tkachuk 3 years@$5.9
Bennett 6 years@$3.5-4

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
We have to keep cap space available for when Garnet Hathaway replaces him, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing that comment get bumped mercilessly during Bennett's patented month-long hot streak, then for everyone to forget about it when he disappears and finishes the year with around 30 points again.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I feel like Bennett can be this years Ferland if we make the playoffs. If he has a good playoffs his contract will cost more. If he can get 40-50 points id give him the Backlund deal.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
His stats have jumped but it might not be as dramatic as it looks at first glance if stats across the entire league have jumped. Seems like there are a million players on pace for 30+ goals this year including all sorts of ham and eggers. The goalie pad change might be a bigger deal than people think.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Tkachuk gets a 3 year bridge to line up with Gio’s contract expiring. Bennett might get locked up if the price is right

Tkachuk 3 years@$5.9
Bennett 6 years@$3.5-4

That's about the worst thing the Flames could do with Tkachuk. If Tkachuk continues at the pace he is at he should be given an 8 year deal at $7-8 mil. If Flames try and sign him after 3 years he will cost $10 mil AND we have to re-sign Gaudreau at the same time. So we have to sign two $10 mil players rather than one.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
That's about the worst thing the Flames could do with Tkachuk. If Tkachuk continues at the pace he is at he should be given an 8 year deal at $7-8 mil. If Flames try and sign him after 3 years he will cost $10 mil AND we have to re-sign Gaudreau at the same time. So we have to sign two $10 mil players rather than one.
Nah, he's still RFA after a 3 year deal. It's a hefty bridge, but still a bridge.

Would likely be at the internal cap limit ($6.75 MM) if it were a bridge.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I love Tkachuk, but he’s also had some incredible luck this year. He’s riding a 23% shooting percentage. Handing out an $8 million winger contract to a 21 year old, with no arbitration rights, is just bad cap management. He’ll get hardballed, just like Johnny and Nylander. If we lock him up long term, it’ll be under $7 million, probably $6.9, if his play continues or he’ll be held to the Gio/Johnny bar if he tails off.

Even at that it makes the cap situation extremely tight. If we can move Frolik and Stone, without taking salary back(a big if), that’s $7.8 million. Assuming they’re replaced internally, that’s $6 million and change, mostly burnt up on Tkachuk. That leaves the Smith contract, plus the expiring buy outs, approximately $5 million for Bennett and 2 goalies.

Bennett gets locked up semi long term @3.5, that takes us down to $3.4 million.
If Rittich doesn’t faulter, push for a $3 million by 2 years but that might be stretching it because I believe he’s also arbitration eligible.
Which leaves basically $1 million for a backup.

Tkachuk at $8 million isn’t even close to an option.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think Tkachuk gets 7x7, with the deal structured like

2019-20: 6.75
2020-21: 6.75
2021-22: 6.75
2022-23: 7
2023-24: 7.25
2024-25: 7.25
2025-26: 7.25

so as to "circumvent" the Gio cap.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'd be willing to bet and sign Bennett as long as possible, given a cap hit less that something like $4M. A bit of gamle on both sides, could be really good for Flames if Bennett improves, and gives Bennett financial security in case he stays as 30 point middle six guy

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Nah, he's still RFA after a 3 year deal. It's a hefty bridge, but still a bridge.

You don't bridge known core players. Period.

Chucky is the heartbeat of the team. You lock him up for a fair contract for both sides for 8 years. Since 6 of the years he would be classified as RFA there will be a slight discount.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

He's still an RFA, but you're buying 3+ UFA years and he has 3 more years of 70-80 points under his resume opposed 1.

Bridging Tkachuk for 3 years is the definition of bad cap management, arguing that it is good cap management is absurd IMO. All you have to do is look around at what has happened in the NHL in the past to realize it is a dumb idea. Subban costs $9 mil opposed to a lower limit because Montreal are morons. Signing him to an 8 year deal at $7.5 mil now is better than bridging him and then re-signing him in the new CBA and a) risk him getting $11 mil+ which is where player contracts are going, or worse b) only signing him for 5 years because that is the max length and the owners want that in the new CBA.

Handing out big contracts to players who deserve the money isn't bad cap management, Tkachuk if he signed for $8 mil is worth every penny now and in the future. If you want to argue he isn't an $8 mil player fine, but he is the Flames best and most important player. I'm sure Tre can get a good contract with Tkachuk, but I would not balk at $7.5 mil for 8 years at all. He is a better player than Draisaitl will ever be. Don't let one bad contract cloud judgement, Drai is mooch off McDavid, Tkachuk is miles better.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd be happy with a 8 yr x $7.5m contract for Tkachuk. At 6 or 7 years the Flames would probably get him for less but I'd prefer to pay more to sign him for 8 yrs.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The bar has been set with Nylander at $6.9M.

Theoretically Chucky is worth slightly less money than Nylander because he is a center but Chucky was chosen 2 picks earlier and will likely have 75-85 points this season versus Nylander's 61 last year. Keep in mind Chucky wants to win a cup... Something his father never did so he may take a slight discount to help keep the team together. Hope Tre signs Chucky before the end of the regular season because if we do win a cup all bets are off on what Chucky's contract will be worth.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The bar has been set with Nylander at $6.9M.

Theoretically Chucky is worth slightly less money than Nylander because he is a center but Chucky was chosen 2 picks earlier and will likely have 75-85 points this season versus Nylander's 61 last year. Keep in mind Chucky wants to win a cup... Something his father never did so he may take a slight discount to help keep the team together. Hope Tre signs Chucky before the end of the regular season because if we do win a cup all bets are off on what Chucky's contract will be worth.

Keep in mind league scoring is up this year as well. Personally don't think we should have any problem with tkachuk, but we will see.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
A) Nylander sucks
B) Nylander isn't a center
C) Nylander is a primadona bum and Tkachuk is a handsome gentleman
D) Nylander's GM is a kid with a pair of raisins whereas Tkachuk's GM is a wizard with a pair of boulders

Tkachuk's contract will come close to Nylanders only because Nylander's contract is f***ing atrocious and because Treliving isn't a coward GM like Dubas.

Reactions: Shawnofthedeadz

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the little softie gets 6.9M, Tkachuk is worth 8M at least.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving is going to play hardball as he does but I bet Keith will be Matty's ear the whole time to make sure he gets what he's worth. I think it'll get done before training camp but it'll be a really long, drawn out process.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Treliving is going to play hardball as he does but I bet Keith will be Matty's ear the whole time to make sure he gets what he's worth. I think it'll get done before training camp but it'll be a really long, drawn out process.

Nah Keith is a beauty. And a very rich man. He’ll tell his kid to be smart. Sign a big contract and go start earning another big one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad