Speculation: Tkachuk & Bennett 2019 contracts

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Holdout left wing Keith Tkachuk signed a one-year contract extension with the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday, ending a dispute that led to his suspension when he failed to show up for training camp.
Terms weren't disclosed.

Tkachuk, who had two years left on a five-year contract, had insisted he would return to the fold only if he gained financial concessions in an extension that would place him among the NHL's highest-paid players at his position.

The team captain was to get $2.8 million this season and $3 million in 1999-2000 but reportedly wanted a five-year package worth $40 million, an average of $8 million a year. He had rejected two offers, including a three-year extension worth $33 million, an average of $6.5 million a year.

Hmmmmm

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
8×8 would be a more than fair deal.

Anything less on an 8 year deal and I'll give Treliving my kidney

I'd rather pay him less on less term. He is not the best player on the team, and none of the comparables say he's worth that kind of money. Just because league scoring is up and taking advantage, doesn't mean he's gonna get draisatl like money.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He’ll get very similar to what Nylander got. Tkachuk is great, don’t get me wrong, but is he a perennial top 30, 70+ point scorer....I’m not a 100% sure. He won’t get proven, year after year, money.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tkachuk isn’t a flash in the pan. Since Dec of last year he’s been scoring at a PPG which is basically equal to Gaudreau. I also do think he’s emerged as our top player. I’m fine giving him 7 per x 8 years.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Tkachuk isn’t a flash in the pan. Since Dec of last year he’s been scoring at a PPG which is basically equal to Gaudreau. I also do think he’s emerged as our top player. I’m fine giving him 7 per x 8 years.

After Nylander, this may be more 7.5-8, but he'll have to produce the rest of this year either way.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
After Nylander, this may be more 7.5-8, but he'll have to produce the rest of this year either way.

With less taxes in Alberta, less pressure, and teh fact Tkachuk hasn't been as productive as Nylander from 2016-2018 season I hope we can get him for less, at most only a little more.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
With less taxes in Alberta, less pressure, and teh fact Tkachuk hasn't been as productive as Nylander from 2016-2018 season I hope we can get him for less, at most only a little more.

Again, I think this depends mostly on where Tkachuk ends this season. Either way, Tre seems to be a wizard with big RFA contracts.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
6.75 x 4 + 8 x 4
Tkachuk can play under the Gaudreau / Gio cap for the first 4 of his contract then get paid in the back 4 and I’d be happy.

Bennett more of a wildcard if he hits 45 points I could see something like EL but cheaper 6 x 4.25 - 4.5
Or he could go with another short contract under 3.5 if he can’t find 45

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Toronto overpaid Nylander. Tkachuk is better in my opinion. Not as fast of course, maybe doesn't have Nylander's shot, but is better in the corners and net front presence and has that I'll drag you along quality needed to win championships. If Tre does hand out Nylander money he won't exceed it by much and at the end of the day will have much better value for the duration of the contract.

Reactions: Shawnofthedeadz

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Tkachuk is that kind of player that would take a discount to keep the team he plays for competitive.

Fingers crossed he’s 6.75m. Anything lower than that is a miracle, anything higher than that is not a shocker.

The jury is still out on Bennett.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I just don’t see how an RFA winger makes more then 7.5. I also think Tkachuk slows down a bit offensively and gets something similar to Nylander.

Gaudreau has 64 and 78 and got 6x6.75.

The cap has gone up 8-10% since. To me the inflation in cap should account for the difference in talent between Johnny and Tkachuk.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I absolutely love Tkachuk but he's not the best player on this team, and should never be the highest paid player.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah I don’t see how Bennett can ask more then a Ferland type bridge deal. Love the kid but intangibles only get you so much. Tangibles get you paid in the NHL

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Once upon a time, everyone thought Brad wouldn't be able to sign all our players. Once upon a time nobody thought we'd be able to sign Gaudreau and Monahan for less than Gio. Once upon a time this board was freaking out (and HF too) when Gio's initial ask was $9 million. Once upon a time we thought we were going to lose Backlund. Once upon a time we were convinced Lindholm and Hanifin were going to cost over $10-12 million to sign long term.

Need I go on?

This fanbase has freaked out about cap crunch year over year, and Brad keeps wowing us. I expect the same with Tkachuk, or at least I'm optimistic he'll get a deal done we can be happy with. Brad's internal signings have been pretty good. External.... mixed bag.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Once upon a time, everyone thought Brad wouldn't be able to sign all our players. Once upon a time nobody thought we'd be able to sign Gaudreau and Monahan for less than Gio. Once upon a time this board was freaking out (and HF too) when Gio's initial ask was $9 million. Once upon a time we thought we were going to lose Backlund. Once upon a time we were convinced Lindholm and Hanifin were going to cost over $10-12 million to sign long term.

Need I go on?

This fanbase has freaked out about cap crunch year over year, and Brad keeps wowing us. I expect the same with Tkachuk, or at least I'm optimistic he'll get a deal done we can be happy with. Brad's internal signings have been pretty good. External.... mixed bag.

Devils Advocate..

Brad does keep wowing us, howmst'ever hes been able to buy-out a lot of his mistakes to this point and I think we are nearing the end of his ability to do should say, the Neal signing not work out. We are also at a point now where I don't think he can reasonably ask Tkachuk to stay within the Gio cap, which makes things really interesting.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Devils Advocate..

Brad does keep wowing us, howmst'ever hes been able to buy-out a lot of his mistakes to this point and I think we are nearing the end of his ability to do should say, the Neal signing not work out. We are also at a point now where I don't think he can reasonably ask Tkachuk to stay within the Gio cap, which makes things really interesting.

Yes and no to an extent. I think the 4 years at 6.75 or under and the backloading it a bit helps. Also really depends on what happens with goaltending this offseason, and how big a raise Bennett is gonna get. Sam is on pace for 27 points. While I think he's going to surpass that, I'm not 100% sold he breaks much over 40 at most short of a ridiculous tear somewhere. Then comes down to if he can find a taker for Stone or not.

Would the Seattle expansion bump of the Cap happen this offseason if it's approved today?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yes and no to an extent. I think the 4 years at 6.75 or under and the backloading it a bit helps. Also really depends on what happens with goaltending this offseason, and how big a raise Bennett is gonna get. Sam is on pace for 27 points. While I think he's going to surpass that, I'm not 100% sold he breaks much over 40 at most short of a ridiculous tear somewhere. Then comes down to if he can find a taker for Stone or not.

Would the Seattle expansion bump of the Cap happen this offseason if it's approved today?

From my limited understanding, yes it would as the teams receive their share of expansion fees immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad