NFL: Titans exploring building a new stadiun

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Stadium opened in august 1999, so it will just be 23 years old. Man that seems like a short lifespan for a stadium. Yes it will take 3-5 years depending on how quickly they secure land and get plans and zoning approved and build the stadium but 26-28 years isn’t a long time for a stadium to last.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
why

the stadium is fine
Probably to attract a super bowl. Nashville is a great town to have fun. would need a 70k stadium to do it. Plus Nashville weather in mid Feb is what typically? But given the torn acl by WR in big games like metchie in the SEC game in Atl, Williams in Indy in the ncaa playoff and OBJ in the SB in LA I do hope they would have natural grass if they do build a new stadium.

but man this is why cities should stay out of the arena and stadium business.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
why

the stadium is fine

Did you read the article?

Funny that the Dolphins renovations were ~$500 million, and that stadium has been around since 1987. This project would cost more, hilarious. Ross also funded that himself(think the NFL helped out). Why can't other owners do the same?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Did you read the article?

Funny that the Dolphins renovations were ~$500 million, and that stadium has been around since 1987. This project would cost more, hilarious. Ross also funded that himself(think the NFL helped out). Why can't other owners do the same?

20 years after it opened, Gillette Stadium is still the only 100% privately funded stadium in the league.

All land and construction cost was private and all public infrastructure costs have been reimbursed.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not even close to as egregious as Atlanta getting TWO new stadiums when their others were built in the 90s

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
20 years after it opened, Gillette Stadium is still the only 100% privately funded stadium in the league.

All land and construction cost was private and all public infrastructure costs have been reimbursed.

I honestly feel like any new stadium in the NFL needs to be privately financed like that. They make so much money, it's insane that they hold cities hostage for stuff like that.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I honestly feel like any new stadium in the NFL needs to be privately financed like that. They make so much money, it's insane that they hold cities hostage for stuff like that.
How many other events outside the nfl does a stadium like these hold a year? Do they get 25-30 non football events a year normally?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
How many other events outside the nfl does a stadium like these hold a year? Do they get 25-30 non football events a year normally?

I know state farm has monster truck, soccer games, ncaa tournament games, stuff like that. How often they have events though not sure. Might be different for other stadiums since the cardinals can roll their field outside so there is no wear and tear on the field itself.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nashville is definitely trying to get into that game of stadium events. They’re hosting Summerslam this year in the stadium. They getting an outdoor hockey game. They get it up and running, maybe they get involved in the expanded college football playoff. But the Super Bowl is a big one, you look at St. Louis, they built the dome and never hosted the super bowl and now they’re gone. Not saying Nashville is destined for that fate otherwise, but you just don’t know. The Adams’ are still from Houston, and there was tumult surrounding them until the one sister took over. You look at stadiums built since the 70’s, 32 years is in around the lifespan, and they’ve been wanting a MLB team too which would definitely require a new stadium, so yeah they’re gonna start talking about it.

Sep 19, 2008
Not even close to as egregious as Atlanta getting TWO new stadiums when their others were built in the 90s
this probably disturbs me the most

atlanta fans claim turner field was built in an unsafe area and they moved to a safer area

then again i can't verify as I've never been to atlanta

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
this probably disturbs me the most

atlanta fans claim turner field was built in an unsafe area and they moved to a safer area

then again i can't verify as I've never been to atlanta
Neither have I, but they built Turner field for the Olympics. If it was good enough for the Olympics, then it should be good enough for a baseball team

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I thought the main reason they wanted out of Turner was because the downtown location made getting to the games very hard for people with traffic

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought the main reason they wanted out of Turner was because the downtown location made getting to the games very hard for people with traffic
It was still good enough for the Olympics

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Even a stadium with multiple tenants like Heinz Field sits empty ~335-340 days a year, with maybe an event a month during the long off-seasons. Absolutely ridiculous that these things still get a dime of public money.

Of course there's teams that would find even that not enough control of the stadium, what with Pitt and high school championships constantly being blamed for the condition of the field.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even a stadium with multiple tenants like Heinz Field sits empty ~335-340 days a year, with maybe an event a month during the long off-seasons. Absolutely ridiculous that these things still get a dime of public money.

Of course there's teams that would find even that not enough control of the stadium, what with Pitt and high school championships constantly being blamed for the condition of the field.
NFL season is between late August (pre-season) to New Year's, then playoffs if they are good enough to host them in January. Not many non sporting outdoor events for colder cities, like NE/Buffalo/Cincinatti, etc. between late October to March.

Unfortunately, the MLS crowds for the majority of cities do not require an NFL capacity stadium. A few work like Seattle, Atlanta, but most would be like NE where the attendance is under 20K for a 68K capacity stadium. So, talking under 30% filled. Which is why most have a separate stadium than the NFL team.

So, it's a massive cost to build and maintain given the number of events. Teams try to put on as many college games as possible to help maximize revenues, which then brings into question the use of turf vs grass which would get beaten up when teams play on consecutive days like we saw with USC and the Rams.

A group of NFL players want the league to mandate grass in all stadiums. So, see which ones do make that change. Half the league plays on turf.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: