30u5q1c.jpg
|
20zpmhf.jpg

Discuss...

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is the myth that Tippett is some kind of defensive genius. That is clearly not the case.

The team is in last place. It is still early but if this continues yes surely Tippett job has to be on the line?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is the myth that Tippett is some kind of defensive genius. That is clearly not the case.

The team is in last place. It is still early but if this continues yes surely Tippett job has to be on the line?

Other coaches, like NJ's Hynes, have taken crap rosters and performed the Tippett turnaround with them. Coaches have a shelf life. Tippett is past his.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
And if you are OEL you have to be wondering what it would be like to play on a good team. UFA status is very appealing I imagine.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tip needs to head to the front office and off of the bench. Time for some new blood

When has he demonstrated any ability to evaluate players? He's even less of a fit for the front officer than he is a coach.

I'm reminded of how everyone outside the IA bubble took a moment to laugh at how enamored they were with Tippett when this news broke.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Even if Tippett takes the high road and resigns, it would be just our luck that Playfair takes over and things get even worse.

Coyotes 2.0 2.1

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
When I update the chart after the next game, I'll adjust the scale of the Tippett graph to match the Gretzky graph which will make the past few years appear slightly less nauseating. But only slightly.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Even if Tippet is a good coach, he is past his shelf life Agreed completely

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Even if Tippet is a good coach, he is past his shelf life Agreed completely

Just before they renewed his contract would have been the time to do it. I think he'll be with us at least for the remainder of this season. If no improvement, then maybe, just MAYBE, he'll be replaced.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Just fire him. He can't adapt. New words, old ideas.

But first let's play at least 20 games.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The issue is that every coach who plays a specific system automatically produces a set of diminishing returns. As soon as other teams scout and analyze his system, they can exploit it - and if he remains rigidly attached to it, then his team is easily picked apart on the ice.

Now, I don't know for sure if Tippett has stuck with "his" system the whole time he's been here or what, but common sense indicates that both the familiarity of how the Coyotes play along with the increasing ease with which opponents exploit us are signs that either his system or his coaches' have lost their effectiveness. Remember when Newell Brown took over the power play? For a while it was the only thing we were doing really well, but over time it has steadily diminished in effectiveness.

Tippett keeps talking about execution, execution, execution. Well, even the most perfectly-executed system is prone to exploitation if the other team can predict and adjust for it. Domi and Duclair prospered the most last year when they went "off-script" and let their innate talent dictate the play. I think that if we really have good prospects in the system like everyone tells us we do, we need to give them freedom to create plays rather than force them into a tiny shoebox.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
They needed to clean house and go in a new direction when they hued Chayka.

Now with his new contract we are undoubtedly stuck with Tippett. The only chance he is fired is if his contract is structured do that the Coyotes don't have to pay him if he gets re hired. He would not be unemployed long.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The funny thing is that they didn't have to extend him. He was still under contract this season. Thy could've just went the "wait and see" route. Which after four consecutive bed ******** seasons would've been perfectly reasonable. But instead they promoted him, extended him for half a decade, and let him extend al of his lackeys too. It's going to cost a fortune to cut out this boil. When we easily could've just let them all walk away for free this summer.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's going to cost a fortune to cut out this boil. When we easily could've just let them all walk away for free this summer.

The big problem is that Gary Drummond is the VP of hockey ops as well as being the string-pulling owner, and John Chayka is still a couple of years away from his thirties. Drummond doesn't have the knowledge and Chayka doesn't have the built-up capital yet to oust Tippett, even if they wanted to.

And the owners don't want to. They had a hard enough time trying to find a GM to replace Maloney (and they couldn't hire an assistant GM at all), so the prospect of making a coaching change is anathema to them. They got sold a bill of goods that Tippett is one of the best coaches of all time, based almost completely on what happened between coaching his first game in AZ to the end of 2012. They further believe that the team's issues on ice are caused by budget rather than by system.

I really wanted to believe that with the tremendous job of stockpiling the system that Chayka has done, we'd be set for a progressively-improving team that one day would be a true Cup contender. I can't believe that anymore, and it would take a miracle of epic proportions for Tippett and co. to convince me otherwise.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
In an ideal world, Tippett would be fired. I don't think he's the right coach at all to help develop Strome, he's constantly shuffling lines, he doesn't actually give ice time based on performance like he claims (ie: Gologoski is still on the second pairing, and Chychrun the third), and his defensive system hasn't been effective for us in years.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
To be fair...

2yungg6.jpg

I don't think his career stats with Dallas or even Arizona should be equally weighted with the last five consecutive years of suck.
Vrbata is getting disproportionately dumped on, imo. Should we look at Vrbata's career stats and decide to extend him five or six years?
More to the point, I believe Tippet could still be a successful coach somewhere, but that will not be here.

On the other hand...

2h588p5.jpg

Doesn't include lockout shortened year with 21 wins and .44 win %. Which is bad, but still one of the statistically stronger years of late. Another sub .500 year for the slide on the chart.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The big problem is that Gary Drummond is the VP of hockey ops as well as being the string-pulling owner, and John Chayka is still a couple of years away from his thirties. Drummond doesn't have the knowledge and Chayka doesn't have the built-up capital yet to oust Tippett, even if they wanted to.

And the owners don't want to. They had a hard enough time trying to find a GM to replace Maloney (and they couldn't hire an assistant GM at all), so the prospect of making a coaching change is anathema to them. They got sold a bill of goods that Tippett is one of the best coaches of all time, based almost completely on what happened between coaching his first game in AZ to the end of 2012. They further believe that the team's issues on ice are caused by budget rather than by system.

I really wanted to believe that with the tremendous job of stockpiling the system that Chayka has done, we'd be set for a progressively-improving team that one day would be a true Cup contender. I can't believe that anymore, and it would take a miracle of epic proportions for Tippett and co. to convince me otherwise.

He won't be fired this season. They have to ride it out. Too much money and pride at stake. We'll get the revisionist "We anticipated underperforming this year. It's a long process, etc, etc"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad