Post-Game Talk: Tippett sucks

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I'm not even talking about increasing the second unit's time. Blow. It. Up. Split up McDavid and Draisaitl unless the team absolutely needs a goal. Spread. The. Wealth.

That's another way to go about it. It would again get more fwds involved in the pp and gain some offensive confidence and traction. Plus maybe help develop other dmen's offensive games (ie Bear)

This would actually also create more competitiveness between the 2 pp units (if Connor and Drai separated). There might be more urgency for each pp to get things done instead of seeing them now sometimes with little urgency and getting complacent because they know they can have the full 2 mins if they wanted to stay on.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Do you guys still watch the games? This team is trash and not worth your time. Waiting for the next rebuild though.

giphy.gif

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Drai-Yamo-Nuge-Kahun-Koekoek or Bear pp unit

McD-Turris-Neal-Ennis-Barrie pp unit

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even Pittsburgh doesn't split Malkin and Crosby on the PP. Toronto also runs Matthews, Marner, Tavares on one unit. The reason is it's stupid to split apart your best players on the PP.

The PP will get it going, not worried about that. RNH is just being super lazy on wall plays, Barrie is afraid to shoot so he is deferring too much, Chiasson sucks, some of these issues will iron themselves out with Neal back and as Barrie gets more comfortable.

This team's problem is Tippett has them playing awful 5 on 5 hockey and none of the support players have any pride or energy.

When a 5'7 kid who doesn't even have 82 NHL games under his belt is making the rest of the "supporting cast" look bad it tells you a lot.

Kailer Yamamoto also gets little to no PP time. Does he cry about it? No. He goes out and competes hard.

Reactions: dustrock

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Even Pittsburgh doesn't split Malkin and Crosby on the PP. Toronto also runs Matthews, Marner, Tavares on one unit. The reason is it's stupid to split apart your best players on the PP.

The PP will get it going, not worried about that. RNH is just being super lazy on wall plays, Barrie is afraid to shoot so he is deferring too much, Chiasson sucks, some of these issues will iron themselves out with Neal back and as Barrie gets more comfortable.

This team's problem is Tippett has them playing awful 5 on 5 hockey and none of the support players have any pride or energy.

When a 5'7 kid who doesn't even have 82 NHL games under his belt is making the rest of the "supporting cast" look bad it tells you a lot.

Kailer Yamamoto also gets little to no PP time. Does he cry about it? No. He goes out and competes hard.
Toronto actually did start splitting the units. They put them back together last game because Matthews was out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean if PP time is supposed to boost your 5 on 5 confidence, apparently RNH and Chiasson and Barrie haven't gotten that memo.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mean if PP time is supposed to boost your 5 on 5 confidence, apparently RNH and Chiasson and Barrie haven't gotten that memo.
RNH has a goal and two assists at even strength. I mean even last season Sam Gagner was a PP weapon they barely used. It's kind of frustrating right now seeing talented players be underutilized because we have to overwork the star forwards. Does that make sense if the results are poor?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH has a goal and two assists at even strength. I mean even last season Sam Gagner was a PP weapon they barely used. It's kind of frustrating right now seeing talented players be underutilized because we have to overwork the start forwards. Does that make sense if the results are poor?

His one ES goal was largely due to Yamamoto busting ass, in 6 games RNH has zero goals and like one 5 on 5 point with McDavid. Not good enough.

Reactions: Messrules11

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
He had five more points at EV in 16/17 than Peca had when he was here. The correct answer is Ryan Strome, but our expectations exceeded what the player was capable of in the role. A half dozen games into Turris' time here and history is repeating itself.

I'd like to see our coach allow these players to piss a drop before declaring them failures. Because odds are they're all likely a little bit better than 0 goal scorers.

When your top two centers are Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, your bottom six centers aren't going to be in the Selke conversation. It's imperative to find value when your system isn't churning out prospects to fill the roles internally.

Trading Strome for Spooner still boils my blood to this day.

Absolutely mind-numbingly stupid trade.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Strome was dominating defensively. Dude was on the ice for four 5v5 goals against in the 18 games before he was traded.

Then you've got Turris who was on the ice for four goals against in his first three games here.

Yeah, Strome did a sneaky-good job as 3C while he was here. 34pts in 82 games while only being -4 in 2017/18 was about as much as we could ask out of that spot.

Even the offensive struggles (2p in 18g) to start the 18-19 season were made up for largely by the strong defensive play you alluded to. And I’m sure his offensive production would have come back as the season went on.

Just really terrible asset management by a really terrible GM.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Do you guys still watch the games? This team is trash and not worth your time. Waiting for the next rebuild though.

Yessir. I feel like one of those women who always complain about their terrible ex but keep going back to them even though they're a piece of shit. That terrible ex is the Oilers and yes I am a masochist. We all are.

Reactions: King1s

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Strome was dominating defensively. Dude was on the ice for four 5v5 goals against in the 18 games before he was traded.

Then you've got Turris who was on the ice for four goals against in his first three games here.

How was Strome when he first got here? Not exactly fair to compare a guy with a year under his belt with a team and their systems and a guy that just made the move to a new club.

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
How was Strome when he first got here? Not exactly fair to compare a guy with a year under his belt with a team and their systems and a guy that just made the move to a new club.

I don't know why people dump on players that have just started with a new team, especially this season. They have had no time to settle in with new team mates, city and system.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't know why people dump on players that have just started with a new team, especially this season. They have had no time to settle in with new team mates, city and system.

If you were to make a Turris highlight reel for this season, it would probably be three dump-ins from center ice and that's it. You'd probably have a tough time even finding a three second clip of him carrying the puck.

There's guys showing flashes who aren't quite comfortable with the system or his linemates and then there's guys who are completely useless.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you were to make a Turris highlight reel for this season, it would probably be three dump-ins from center ice and that's it. You'd probably have a tough time even finding a three second clip of him carrying the puck.

There's guys showing flashes who aren't quite comfortable with the system or his linemates and then there's guys who are completely useless.

He had at least one key shot block on the PK and almost scored on a pass from Pulju. The highlights have been few and far between, but when you have guys like Archibald and Nygard playing a line too high in the lineup it happens.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian and Chaisson are our 5th and 6th highest paid forwards. Let that sink in, such trash.

More reasons why Holland doesn't get an out in this.

The Kass deal was horrific. That we haven't found better than Chiasson years later is indictable. Holland is just picking off winger cast offs every season and trying to throw them against the wall.

We need a splash deal. The team has to look at moving somebody like RNH. Do it now before the contract impasse becomes too heated. Do it while memories of elevated seasons playing with McD and Drai still remain.

Nuge has underperformed his entire career. He'll be 28 this season and severe drop off will occur with this player by the time he's 30. Let some other team have that problem and that contractual cost. If the Oilers can get a decent forward for Nuge they should. Would've liked someone like Dubois but lol Nuge isn't close to that value despite having several years experience advantage over Dubois.

We've been elevating Nuge worth with his EV toi, and 1st PP slot. Theres no way Nuge is ever a 60pt player without that. But let some other club think that, and get a more competitive player here in return for him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
More reasons why Holland doesn't get an out in this.

The Kass deal was horrific. That we haven't found better than Chiasson years later is indictable. Holland is just picking off winger cast offs every season and trying to throw them against the wall.

We need a splash deal. The team has to look at moving somebody like RNH. Do it now before the contract impasse becomes too heated. Do it while memories of elevated seasons playing with McD and Drai still remain.

Nuge has underperformed his entire career. He'll be 28 this season and severe drop off will occur with this player by the time he's 30. Let some other team have that problem and that contractual cost. If the Oilers can get a decent forward for Nuge they should. Would've liked someone like Dubois but lol Nuge isn't close to that value despite having several years experience advantage over Dubois.

We've been elevating Nuge worth with his EV toi, and 1st PP slot. Theres no way Nuge is ever a 60pt player without that. But let some other club think that, and get a more competitive player here in return for him.

What player gets to 60 points without good ES time and PP time? That literally never happens. You just described every 60+ points player in the entire league. Over the past 3 seasons, RNH is around 85th in P/60 at ES and 35th in P/60 on the PP. So lets say a combined 60th best offensive player in the league for his minutes played. The 60th highest forward in the league right now, makes $6.375 M. So RNH might end up being slightly overpaid if he signs close to $7 M, but he is in the ballpark for sure for the value he is bringing. Considering how he is used on the Oilers, and how difficult it would be to find somebody to replace him on the open market (Edmonton not exactly being highest on most players destination list), I will be pretty shocked if we don't resign him.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What player gets to 60 points without good ES time and PP time? That literally never happens. You just described every 60+ points player in the entire league.

I don't think Nuge even gets 50pts without the plum toi and plum PP time. Of course if you're RNH more than 1/3 of your career pts are PP which really elevates the view on this players production, but actually reveals how ordinary he is at EV production. Even with lots of star help throughout his career Nuge has only 298EV pts. Compare it with his contemporaries. Hall has 403EV career pts. Even Eberle has 380. None of them are as close to PP reliant for pts as Nugent Hopkins is.

RNH for almost his entire career, somebody else has been driving the production. It would be plain ugly trying to see Nuge ever pulling the cart on a club. That would be an absymal club.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't think Nuge even gets 50pts without the plum toi and plum PP time. Of course if you're RNH more than 1/3 of your career pts are PP which really elevates the view on this players production, but actually reveals how ordinary he is at EV production. Even with lots of star help throughout his career Nuge has only 298EV pts. Compare it with his contemporaries. Hall has 403EV career pts. Even Eberle has 380. None of them are as close to PP reliant for pts as Nugent Hopkins is.

RNH for almost his entire career, somebody else has been driving the production. It would be plain ugly trying to see Nuge ever pulling the cart on a club. That would be an absymal club.

Yes RNH is better at PP than he is at ES, see my previous post for that. Even if you only judged him for ES, so 85th in the last 3 years for P/60, and completely ignored his PP production, he isn't that overpaid. The 85th highest paid forward makes $5.875. So by this metric, if you ignored his PP production, he would be overpaid by a whopping 125k/season. You are somewhat right, RNH doesn't drive offence by himself, but he isn't paid like a player that does that either. On the average, he is paid roughly correctly right now at $6 M. Yes, you can cherry pick some players that are on better deals around that range, and you can cherry pick to find worse deals as well. But on the whole, he is in the correct range for what he makes vs the production he provides.

An argument I can get behind is that he has been slightly overpaid for the early years of his deal, I wouldn't argue that. Hopefully this will act favorably in contract negotiations, but I somehow doubt it, lol.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's almost like these guys are humans and not robots and take time to get accustomed to their surroundings and coworkers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad