Speculation: Tinordi's next season

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Based on what?

It's actually should be the other way around, to play your offwing/offside, you are on your backhand a lot more, and Emelin is a lot better than Tinordi when it comes to puck handling skills, add to that the fact that Emelin has played a ton of RD in his days in Russia.

I don't think you're wrong necessarily. He obviously has better puck moving skills than JT. But I am 100% convinced he's the best candidate to be Subban's partner AINEC. Gorges has to rebound from last year with an easier workload, and Tinordi isn't ready for those minutes (though when he is, he will become the best candidate.)

think Emelin hit less this year because of playing RD, it's not true, while he played LD early in his rookie year, he played mainly RD, being paired with Kaberle, the reason he has less hits last year compared to his first year is because he is playing better positional, doesn't go for the hits that take him out of position like he did in his first year.

Once again, great point. What you're saying is valid. He did reduce his attempts to hit to become more defensively sound. But I will argue that being on his offwing gives him less opportunities to catch people in the traintracks. It's easier to turn to the middle and align yourself if you're on your natural side, especially if he wants to throw those big hipchecks. He obviously will still be an intimidating presence on our back end regardless of which side he plays on, but I would argue he's more effective as a LD.

Tinordi has already shown he can play both sides in the NHL and I think its more important to have a proper partner for our Norris winning #1 Dman (love saying that haha) than to cater to a rookie who has shown no real negative effects when playing on his offside. It's better for the team IMO.

Also just to be clear, I think my argument about hitting and which side a player plays on does not apply to Tinordi, who is nowhere near the skater Emelin is (he also doesn't have the timing). His strategy towards hits would be much different.

As for Tinordi, I think he is a lock to make the team, last year after training camp, Therrien said he was one of the toughest guys to cut, in terms of being close to NHL ready. After his play at the end of the year, unless something wrong happens he should make the club.

I was surprised the Habs played him on RD even though he has never played that before, not in juniors, or AHL, he did better than expected.

Like I said he has shown he can play in the big league on the right side, so I don't expect him to be hurt developmentally because of it. Of course, I wouldn't mind him on the left side either, just not instead of Emelin.

I'm not sure where he fits in the lineup, but when he is ready for top minutes, I think him and Subban are going to be an ideal top pairing. Not sure if you guys remember but I think Subban was more dominate in the later part of the 2011 season and in the playoffs, when he was paired with Hal Gill, playing 28-30 mins a game of just pure shut down hockey, remember they shutdown the Lucic DK Horton line to 6 points in all 7 games. Also gives Subban a little protection, I remember anyone that would try to touch Subban, Gill would just come and give them a big hug, and it worked.

Agreed 100%. Though let's hope Tinordi will be meaner than Gill. Let's aim for something more than a big hug:laugh:

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
As I expect and want him to become a faster and meaner Hal Gill, I don't expect him any kind of numbers this season. I just want to learn to play defence at the NHL level, to block shot, clear the crease, hit and work hard. If he does that, he will stick in the NHL for sure. We need that kind of player. And people will love him in Montreal.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think you're wrong necessarily. He obviously has better puck moving skills than JT. But I am 100% convinced he's the best candidate to be Subban's partner AINEC. Gorges has to rebound from last year with an easier workload, and Tinordi isn't ready for those minutes (though when he is, he will become the best candidate.)

Once again, great point. What you're saying is valid. He did reduce his attempts to hit to become more defensively sound. But I will argue that being on his offwing gives him less opportunities to catch people in the traintracks. It's easier to turn to the middle and align yourself if you're on your natural side, especially if he wants to throw those big hipchecks. He obviously will still be an intimidating presence on our back end regardless of which side he plays on, but I would argue he's more effective as a LD.

Tinordi has already shown he can play both sides in the NHL and I think its more important to have a proper partner for our Norris winning #1 Dman (love saying that haha) than to cater to a rookie who has shown no real negative effects when playing on his offside. It's better for the team IMO.

Also just to be clear, I think my argument about hitting and which side a player plays on does not apply to Tinordi, who is nowhere near the skater Emelin is (he also doesn't have the timing). His strategy towards hits would be much different.

Like I said he has shown he can play in the big league on the right side, so I don't expect him to be hurt developmentally because of it. Of course, I wouldn't mind him on the left side either, just not instead of Emelin.

Agreed 100%. Though let's hope Tinordi will be meaner than Gill. Let's aim for something more than a big hug:laugh:

You make a lot of great point, specially with how Emelin would be better off catching guy with his hipcheck in the middle of the ice coming from the left side.

Also on the point of Emelin being better suited to play top minutes with Subban rather than Tinordi who likely isn't ready for those minutes.

The team does have options, Gorges, and I guess Tinordi, both can play RD as well so I think if they want to make the move they can. But it also depends on Emelin, I'm not saying its the case, but a lot of Russian players actually prefer to play with offwing, Ovie, both Kovy's, even the Kostitsyn's all liked to play with offwing.

Edit: a little off topic, since I'm calling Tinordi is a lock to make the team to start the year, I'm going to bet that Beaulieu will finish the season on the Habs aswell.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Yeah, it's probably me. It's not like I'm studying to actually work in a freaking gym, heh.:laugh:

Studying and being in the gym- two completely different things. Not saying you've never been, but I'm just saying. I would never let a scrawny kid who studied kinesiology tell me how to train if hes never lifted a dumbbell.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You make a lot of great point, specially with how Emelin would be better off catching guy with his hipcheck in the middle of the ice coming from the left side.

Also on the point of Emelin being better suited to play top minutes with Subban rather than Tinordi who likely isn't ready for those minutes.

The team does have options, Gorges, and I guess Tinordi, both can play RD as well so I think if they want to make the move they can. But it also depends on Emelin, I'm not saying its the case, but a lot of Russian players actually prefer to play with offwing, Ovie, both Kovy's, even the Kostitsyn's all liked to play with offwing.

Edit: a little off topic, since I'm calling Tinordi is a lock to make the team to start the year, I'm going to bet that Beaulieu will finish the season on the Habs aswell.

Thanks for the discussion. I don't think either of us are wrong. You argue some good points yourself.

As for Beaulieu, I think that will depend on health and/or Diaz' performance. If we are scoring plenty on D and are healthy, I'm afraid he'll be stuck in the AHL (which won't do any harm).

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for the discussion. I don't think either of us are wrong. You argue some good points yourself.

As for Beaulieu, I think that will depend on health and/or Diaz' performance. If we are scoring plenty on D and are healthy, I'm afraid he'll be stuck in the AHL (which won't do any harm).

:5: lol

As for Beaulieu, I don't see him making the team out of camp, but just a feeling he'll be there at the end of the year, almost every year some of the top players from the AHL usaully find a way to finish the season in Mtl for wtv reason, in 2010, it was Subban, in 2011, I believe White came on at the end, 2012 it was Leblanc, last year was Tinordi..and Specially with this being Bealieau 2nd year in Hamilton I think he'll be ready.

Hopeful to replace Diaz, who I actually like, but our D is so small, just as bad as our forwards in comparison to other teams, him being the odd man out is must IMO.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Hopes he starts in Montreal but we already have so many D's
Emelin is not there before November.

We have Markov, Gorges, Subban and Diaz who are ahead of him.

Tinordi and Bouillon will complete.
Drewiske will be backup.

Even if we get another d-men, he is ready and the beginning of the season is certainly a good opportunity to give ice time to him.

Despite one or two bad games, he certainly learned a lot during PO.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
:5: lol

As for Beaulieu, I don't see him making the team out of camp, but just a feeling he'll be there at the end of the year, almost every year some of the top players from the AHL usaully find a way to finish the season in Mtl for wtv reason, in 2010, it was Subban, in 2011, I believe White came on at the end, 2012 it was Leblanc, last year was Tinordi..and Specially with this being Bealieau 2nd year in Hamilton I think he'll be ready.

Hopeful to replace Diaz, who I actually like, but our D is so small, just as bad as our forwards in comparison to other teams, him being the odd man out is must IMO.

Yeah I'd like to see both Gorges and Diaz on their way out as our strong Dman depth begins to take shape.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Pateryn/Ellis/Thrower/etc

Sounds pretty good. (Obviously no way of knowing about Markov and how long he'll play for)

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
1) Must hit the gym before the season starts
2) Don't see a reason why he's not gonna play for us this year.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah I'd like to see both Gorges and Diaz on their way out as our strong Dman depth begins to take shape.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Pateryn/Ellis/Thrower/etc

Sounds pretty good. (Obviously no way of knowing about Markov and how long he'll play for)

That looks pretty good

Maybe getting another top4 dmen. like you said, not sure Markov should be playing a ton of minutes 5 on 5. But don't see Gorges being gone tho, specially with how much Bergevin keeps talking about wanting character guys, I think Gorges is here to stay.

Hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if Markov isn't re-signed come next year, he'll be 35, probably going to want the same amont of money, and maybe Beaulieu might be able to QB the pp.

Have something like (2014-15)

Tinordi-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Bealieau-XXX (stay at home dmen, that plays on the pk)

PricePkPatch*

But.. But... Subban HAS to be paired with Tinordi. Isn't there a proverb that says: "He who was mentored by a giant will mentor one"?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Tinordi is the perfect partner for Subban, he'll stay home and take care of the kids. He's a lock for this year. He already won that during the playoffs, assuming he keeps it up at camp, he's a starter. Emelin coming back doesn't change a thing.

Let's not dismiss Beaulieu too quick either. I'd love to try him with Gorges and see him grow up.(This year.)

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Gorges
Diaz(4th line and 2nd PP with Beaulieu)

This makes us a lot bigger & more talented than last year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
But.. But... Subban HAS to be paired with Tinordi. Isn't there a proverb that says: "He who was mentored by a giant will mentor one"?

Maybe in a year or two but not as a rookie. Tinordi needs to start with insulated minutes before getting top line matchups like Subban will.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tinordi is the perfect partner for Subban, he'll stay home and take care of the kids. He's a lock for this year. He already won that during the playoffs, assuming he keeps it up at camp, he's a starter. Emelin coming back doesn't change a thing.

Let's not dismiss Beaulieu too quick either. I'd love to try him with Gorges and see him grow up.(This year.)

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Gorges
Diaz(4th line and 2nd PP with Beaulieu)

This makes us a lot bigger & more talented than last year.

Playing a 21 year old on the 1st pair with about 10 nHL games experience is a recipe for disaster, not success.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Subban pulled it off after half a season, didn't he?

Subban went on to win the Norris. Subban is special. Not even the biggest habs fanboys expect that of Tinordi. We'll all be extremely happy if he winds up being a top pairing stay at home d.

PricePkPatch*

Subban went on to win the Norris. Subban is special. Not even the biggest habs fanboys expect that of Tinordi. We'll all be extremely happy if he winds up being a top pairing stay at home d.

I am just saying that Tinordi can always develop over the season and end up being quite the serviceable Top 4 D by January if he keeps doing things well.

Doesn't mean he'll be at the end of his journey. Just like Subban, he'll still have a lot to learn

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
He will be here no doubt. MT will nurse him into bigger minutes as he matures. If he can be a shut down PK as Gill was then we all could be happy. I forget where I read this but our 5 on 3 PK was 21 out of 22 kills when Gill was here BUT the 1 the opponent scored Gill was in the box. So if he brings the nastiness in front of the net and uses his size to kill PP then he will be top 4 by end of year

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Tinordi playing with Subban would be a good move, even at this stage, beacuse we all know Subban can play both an offensive and defensive game. He can play with pretty much anyone and he'll still stand out. If it happens to be Tinordi he gets the security of playing with a guy who has enough energy to come back and help out on D.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I am just saying that Tinordi can always develop over the season and end up being quite the serviceable Top 4 D by January if he keeps doing things well.

Doesn't mean he'll be at the end of his journey. Just like Subban, he'll still have a lot to learn

In a perfect world, yes he would be top 4 by January, but we were talking opening night with Emelin out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad