Speculation: Tinordi's next season

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
In the wake of the Emelin injury, let's talk about Tinordi.

-I remember reading from some posters that he looks to have gained a bit of weight (surely he's still not 205 as he's listed on the habs site)
-He (IMO) was very good considering the circumstances in both callups last year
-I think he has a great ceiling as a shutdown Dman (top4)

What are your point predictions for him next year?

Do you expect him to at least be a solid 'band-aid' until Emelin is back?

Do you think he could surpass our expectations?

Do you think he could slump?

Thanks in advance.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Going to become an instant fan-favorite

was captain of the usa development team at 17, captain of the london knights after just 1 year, got a letter A in his rookie AHL season

were gonna love this kid, no doubter he starts in montreal

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
In my mind, Tinordi is playing in Montreal next season.

Starting to think the same too.

He'll start the season in Montreal based on Emelin's injury, and I think he will make it much too difficult to be sent down once Emelin is healthy. He will have his ups and downs, it's normal, but he's a very good young player.

I think he'll get the Jonas Brodin treatment from Habs fans. He won't have the numbers, but we'll cry foul when he's not nominated for Calder. His importance will only be noticed if you watch the games.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I hope he can at least get up to 220lbs. If he can, he alone could make our team much harder to play against. Plus his size should be fantastic for the PK.

I do hope that he stays up when Emelin Returns. Hopefully he leapfrogs the cube.

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Gorges-Diaz
Boullion

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't see how he doesn't start in Mtl unless he SUCKS in camp. Barring any trades which doesn't seem to be happening, I'd say something like this to start the season...

Markov - PK
Gorges - Tinordi
Bou - Diaz
Drew

When Emelin returns,

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - PK
Bou/Diaz - Tinordi
Drew

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
I hope he can at least get up to 220lbs. If he can, he alone could make our team much harder to play against. Plus his size should be fantastic for the PK.

I do hope that he stays up when Emelin Returns. Hopefully he leapfrogs the cube.

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Gorges-Diaz
Boullion

Why would you use Tinordi on the right side? Emelin has proven he can play on his opposite side.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
With Emelin's injury and the fact that Bergevin signed no big UFA defenseman, there's little doubt in my mind that he will play here next season.

He's probably not 100% ready, but he fills a huge need. I will be happy if the team trust another young guy to step in in a somewhat important role, just like they did with Gallagher last year.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Starting to think the same too.

He'll start the season in Montreal based on Emelin's injury, and I think he will make it much too difficult to be sent down once Emelin is healthy. He will have his ups and downs, it's normal, but he's a very good young player.

I think he'll get the Jonas Brodin treatment from Habs fans. He won't have the numbers, but we'll cry foul when he's not nominated for Calder. His importance will only be noticed if you watch the games.

I personally have him on my top-6, with or without Emelin. We need his physicality, and he got some big-time experience last season.

When healthy, roll:

Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Diaz/Bouillon
Drewiske

That makes it much more balanced. Next summer, try everything in your power to sign Girardi, let Markov go, let Bouillon go, and promote Beaulieu. Ideally, you'd also trade Gorges for a bigger guy.

Girardi - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges (if you can't trade him) - Diaz/Beaulieu
Drewiske

Even with Gorges and Diaz, we couldn't say our D is soft anymore.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's written in the stars guys. Tinordi has to be paired with Subban. Less responsibilities, can focus on defensive play and physicality, etc... This pairing would be extremely complementary, and would IMHO provide something we haven't had since Komisarek's good years with Markov. Except Tinordi is more mobile, less inapt defensively, and IMO tougher.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Why would you use Tinordi on the right side? Emelin has proven he can play on his opposite side.

Tinordi has said he's comfortable with either side in an interview. And Emelin is fine on the right side, but he is much more effective on his natural side. He hits with more ease, and Subban would benefit from someone like Emelin, who can keep up with him skating wise (Emelin is a fantastic skater)

Also Tinordi is the kind of Dman Markov needs as his partner.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I personally have him on my top-6, with or without Emelin. We need his physicality, and he got some big-time experience last season.

When healthy, roll:

Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Diaz/Bouillon
Drewiske

That makes it much more balanced. Next summer, try everything in your power to sign Girardi, let Markov go, let Bouillon go, and promote Beaulieu. Ideally, you'd also trade Gorges for a bigger guy.

Girardi - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges (if you can't trade him) - Diaz/Beaulieu
Drewiske

Even with Gorges and Diaz, we couldn't say our D is soft anymore.

Gorges-Diaz is an awful second pair of defensemen. But it's a pretty good 3rd pairing imo. If we have depth to have 4 better guys than them, healthy (Markov, Subban, Tinordi, Emelin), our defense will probably be quite good. Not contending team good, but still effective. That, of course, is if Tinordi can be that physical presence we need on the back-end, something we clearly lack.

PricePkPatch*

It's written in the stars guys. Tinordi has to be paired with Subban. Less responsibilities, can focus on defensive play and physicality, etc... This pairing would be extremely complementary, and would IMHO provide something we haven't had since Komisarek's good years with Markov. Except Tinordi is more mobile, less inapt defensively, and IMO tougher.

I would expect 25-30 minutes of play regularily for this pairing if all goes well. They are going to be our biggest minute eaters

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Tinordi is a top 4 defenseman in the NHL, a lot of teams including Vancouver and Washington tried to move up in 2010 to draft him and failed to do so.

He is basically a better skating, fighting and playmaking Hal Gill, he will have a long successful NHL career and I think he will be a key player in Montreal in the next few years.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
wouldn't be surprised if he plays his way into a permanent role this year, but I hope there's enough competition in place that if he does stay, it's by merit vs by default.

worries me a bit that he'll be our only serious physical presence on the back end... Tinordi's style/attitude is such that he won't hesitate to get his nose dirty and drop the gloves if necessary, but i'd hate to see the young guy end up getting hurt while being the sole "policeman" on the back end

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
He's listed at 216lbs on www.hockeydb.com, so I'm hoping that he can be over 220lbs by training camp, he should probably be close to, if not past, 230lbs in a few years, hopefully.

He fills a huge need on our D, so I have every reason to believe that he'll start in Montreal.

We shouldn't expect too many points from him, seeing as he had 13 points in 67 games with the Dogs last year, he his production is around that pace, or even slightly below, I'd be happy.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Tinordi-Subban will be a force for many years to come.

Beaulieu is still 1-2 years away. His offensive numbers are coming along nicely.
Don't forget Ellis, he looks to be underrated. Ellis maybe a Josh Gorges.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
wouldn't be surprised if he plays his way into a permanent role this year, but I hope there's enough competition in place that if he does stay, it's by merit vs by default.

worries me a bit that he'll be our only serious physical presence on the back end... Tinordi's style/attitude is such that he won't hesitate to get his nose dirty and drop the gloves if necessary, but i'd hate to see the young guy end up getting hurt while being the sole "policeman" on the back end

I'm interested in Pateryn for that reason. He has a legit mean streak and could provide some sandpaper for the backend, but yes you're right about this year. Tinordi should end up in that role, let's hope he blossoms in it.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I loved his fearlessness in the end of the season and in the playoffs. Of course he needs to adjust his game to NHL level hockey, but imo there's no reason why he shouldn't be spending all of next year's season in Montreal.

PricePkPatch*

Emelin won't disappear out of thin air because Tinordi gets better position..

Tinordi/Emelin as our 1st and 2nd pairing heavy punch is something I can feel happy about. At least, if we can move Emelin back on the left hand side.

Like someone said:

Emelin/Subban
Markov/Tinordi

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Tinordi has to be playing on the left side...

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillie-Drewiske

hogtownhabsfan*

He's listed at 216lbs on www.hockeydb.com, so I'm hoping that he can be over 220lbs by training camp, he should probably be close to, if not past, 230lbs in a few years, hopefully.

He fills a huge need on our D, so I have every reason to believe that he'll start in Montreal.

We shouldn't expect too many points from him, seeing as he had 13 points in 67 games with the Dogs last year, he his production is around that pace, or even slightly below, I'd be happy.

From what I understand he played at 218lbs last year, and has put on a decent amount of muscle since then already. He'll probably be around if not over 230lbs by training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad