Tinner's old timey Flashbacks - Mike Ridley

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Just because....

The other day on Hockey Central at noon Alan May was on and the guys were ribbing him. He suggested he was on a line with/was playing Hunter, Dino, Ridley as a joke.

The latter name got me thinking about an oft forgotten player in Caps history.

Some things I remember about Ridley:

One of the first games he played for us was against the Rangers in MSG. Carpenter was pretty ineffective and we ended up losing like 4-3 on a Sandstrom goal.

Ridley and Miller were a lethal cycling tandem. Their Corsi would have been through the roof I think. Whoever played with them (many cases Gartner and then Dino) would benefit tremendously.

Ridley was an excellent two way player who did pretty much everything well except be physical.

That said the guy endured more punishment in terms of hits from behind and cross checks than I've ever seen and just was relentless. I think he wore a special protector due to this. Probably led to his eventual back problems too...

Anyhow he had a MONSTER year in 88-89 with 40+ goals and around 90pts. Ken Beatrice correctly said this was an aberration at the time even tho I didn't believe him. But even after Ridley continued to be a hugely productive two way player for the Caps.

For as many times we waited for him for autographs after games he never once showed up. He was a quiet guy who would always sneak out a different exit from the other players so as to avoid the limelight and conversing with fans. He was never at any signings that I recall either.

In the 88 playoffs he had a tough break (and a bad call) off his skate that should have been offside IMO that led to MacLean's goal in the 3rd vs the Devils in game 7 of the Patrick division finals.

He was good under every coach...even Schoenfeld...despite Schoenfeld hating his guts for the perceived lack edge.

We traded him for sucky Rob Pearson who suckily sucked.

Unfortunately for Ridley he was hampered by the back injuries on and off from then on altho he was still good when he played for the Leafs and Canucks.

He is also part of the most lobsided trade in Caps history IMO as we fleeced Espo (everyone fleeced Espo tho)

Most memorable goal: Random...but it was on ESPN in 88-89 season. Doc Emrick and Clemente on the call. Caps playing in the old "Aud" in Buffalo where they pretty much NEVER won back then.

Opening faceoff goes to buffalo's Christian Ruutu who Ridley immediately strips, goes in on a breakaway and roofs it. That has to be the fastest goal to start a game in Caps history to this day. I still remember Doc's call to this day.

Caps won a wild one that game 6-4 on 2 3rd period goals from Grant Frikin Ledyard

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
ahhh, good old ridley. or as rookie color craig would say, ridleeeeeeeee.

still have my caps goalbusters poster, somewhere, he along with courtnall and dino with 40+. dino's total should have had an * next to it tho, lol.

i vaguely recall that quick goal in b-lo.

that was for sure one of poile's best trades.

excellent flasback tinner, as always.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Not Bob Crawford?

Rids was a great all around player. Everything he did, he did quietly.

I think it was his shin pad the puck deflected off of, on the non offside call before LaFontaine scored in one of our most painful losses ever. Worst. Easter. Ever.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Ridley was always a bit frustrating player for me. In those younger days of hockey fandom I kept expecting him to become a true 1st line center points wise when the reality was that he was an ok 2nd line center iceman.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still remember the goal Ridley and Miller jammed down the Flyers' throat in the comeback from 3-0 down in that playoff game 7. I was sitting right there and watched Ridley win the faceoff and then just push the puck toward Hextall and Miller jam it in. What a great game that was

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
I remember listening to the game where he got six assists (versus the redwings or the blackhawks?) on the radio. Believe that was a Caps record. Maybe it still is?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Re: goalbusters - no asterisk for Dino since Gartner would have hit 40 anyhow. David Christian had 37 too

6 assists game was at home w blackhawks in a victory like 8-4

Miller and Ridley were Joined at the hip. A superior version of Dahlen/halpern/konowalchuck

That should have been offsides on devils! Ridley never had control to send it back in zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad