Tin foil hat theory about the Hall to Arizona trade

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Everything important has already been said, so let me just pipe in with: What the hell was Chyka thinking with this trade?

1st+Bahl for a rental?

There had to be pressure from above.

As hopeless as Arizona feels right now, Edmonton reminded us that no matter how poorly your organization is run, any team is a draft lottery away from respectability. Didn't work out for some others, but you never know what could happen.

News to me we are considered respectable, feel like every time I see someone bash us, it's because they havent got over the draft lotteries from years ago. Funny how bitter fans can be. Not aimed at you, I just dont think the site holds the Oilers in much esteem, still.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would think no matter what it starts out as. It will quietly get reduced.
Wasn't New Jersey fined a 1st or something? Did they pay it? what did they pay? how'd they get out of it? who wrote about them getting out of it? what page of the news did it make?
I have no recollection.. it was quietly swept under the rug.

Mentioned it on the first page of the thread: As punishment for the cap circumventing original Kovalchuk contract in 2010, the league fined the Devils three million dollars and took away the Devils 2011 3rd round pick plus the Devils had to forfeit a 1st round pick between 2011 and 2014. While the details seem to have been kept quiet, the Devils eventually appealed the decision and the NHL amended the punishment in early 2014. The fine was reduced in half and rather than forfeiting the 1st round pick in 2014, the Devils pick was moved to the end of the 1st round (off the top of my head, I think it would have been 11th normally).

268291_10100343224557064_7043460_n.jpg

And here's a picture of the draft board I took in 2011. The Devils 3rd round pick (#69) was missing due to it being forfeited.

Mentioned it on the first page as well, but the Blues got fined in 1999 when the NHL found proof that they had tampered with Scott Stevens in 1994. That punishment wasn't reduced from what I can remember.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Okay Ladies

I got my tin foil hat on for this idea that is so crazy I think it makes sense

On the December 16th the Arizona Dogs traded for Taylor Hall, giving up amongst other things their first rounder. Around that time we also get rumours of Arizona breaking serious rules of testing JR prospects in a clear violations the NHL CBA and code of conduct for draft eligible draft prospects.

It was in Early Jan that it comes out that they are in fact under investigation for doing these tests.
TSN is now reporting that they are suspected of testing between 40 to 80 prospects and there is to be a hearing at some point in time

GM's 'very concerned' about allegations against Coyotes getting resolved

Here is the tin foil hat theory I have. This is a form of tampering and end running around NHL rules. The NHL has been fairly constant in how they deal with this end runs and it usually means losing that years first rounder. Arizona knowing full well they have broken a few rules decide to go all in on Hall give up their first rounder knowing full well the NHL may very well strip them of that pick. It looks like Arizona is guiltly and other GMS are unhappy even more now with the combine being cancelled.

Arizona tested up to 80 prospects in this forth coming draft. Arizona knowing that they NHL will find them guilty, throw a hail mary and trade that first to NJD for Hall. Now Arizona only have their 2nd, 4th and afterwards picks to lose from this years draft (unless the league wants to be really vindictive and take 2021 first away from them)

Like I said, my tin foil hat is on very tight for this theory and it is not like we do not have other hockey issues to talk about.

You are Arizona and you catch wind of the fact that the leagues has found out what you are doing and you realise you have broken some rules and a quick history of how the nhl deals with law breakers usually means a lost of a first rounder. You know Hall is in play and decide to trade the first you may very well have lost after the investigation for a former first overall and NHL MVP, while soon to be a UFA, there is a chance Arizona could keep him if he likes the place. Many players love Arizona.

Did Arizona in their minds decide they knew they were going to lose the pick and decide to get an asset for it before they lost it, hoping the NHL takes their 2nd away in this draft?

If Hall does not stay in Arizona it is a pretty bad trade and a clear win for the devils. But if the Hall stays in Arizona and Arizona is found guilty of the rule violations, knowing that in past history (Devils and Blues) where the teams lost first rounder due to breaking rules--in fact doesn't Arizona come out a head? and even if he walks away, the pick given up for him would be the pick the NHL would have stripped the club of anyway.

Sounds crazy I know--but I have been thinking about it after seeing a few TSN articles and listening to sports radio. Arizona may have traded a pick that they nay have very well have lost for nothing for a top winger and a chance that he may like the city and state and stay. That may have been their plan all along

Like I said--tin foil hat is on really tight for this one--but hey--I have in day 6 of issolation here in the UK and I am bouncing off walls

Tin foil hat or not. Most draft previews I see has next year not being as a good as this year. If Arizona does resign Hall, the gamble was worth it, They will be a playoff team, if there is a season next year, and that lost pick could be in the mid 20's

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Arizona is penalized a first round pick, they'll still lose a first round pick in the next draft.

I'm not sure what the conspiracy behind giving up more picks for Taylor Hall would be. They've got egg on their face.
It turns out you were correct because that's exactly what happened.

NEW YORK (Aug. 26, 2020) -- The National Hockey League has sanctioned the Arizona Coyotes for violating the NHL’s Combine Testing Policy during the 2019-20 season, directing the forfeiture of the Club’s 2nd-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and 1st-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

Reactions: belair

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I'm pretty sure the CBA says that the penalty for testing players pre-combine are fines of up to $250,000 per incident.

The potential penalty is millions of dollars in fines. Not draft pick forfeitures.
Imagine 60x$250k. That would really cause Arizona to have to be relocated

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i can see it as a hail mary by chayka, not arizona. he realizes what is coming and tries to improve the team now enough to save his bacon, or at least polish his resume for a job hunt.

it would also explain his messy badly timed exit, which he may have been trying to conclude before the nhl hammer came down and his new employer knew about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad