Tin foil hat theory about the Hall to Arizona trade

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Okay Ladies

I got my tin foil hat on for this idea that is so crazy I think it makes sense

On the December 16th the Arizona Dogs traded for Taylor Hall, giving up amongst other things their first rounder. Around that time we also get rumours of Arizona breaking serious rules of testing JR prospects in a clear violations the NHL CBA and code of conduct for draft eligible draft prospects.

It was in Early Jan that it comes out that they are in fact under investigation for doing these tests.
TSN is now reporting that they are suspected of testing between 40 to 80 prospects and there is to be a hearing at some point in time

GM's 'very concerned' about allegations against Coyotes getting resolved

Here is the tin foil hat theory I have. This is a form of tampering and end running around NHL rules. The NHL has been fairly constant in how they deal with this end runs and it usually means losing that years first rounder. Arizona knowing full well they have broken a few rules decide to go all in on Hall give up their first rounder knowing full well the NHL may very well strip them of that pick. It looks like Arizona is guiltly and other GMS are unhappy even more now with the combine being cancelled.

Arizona tested up to 80 prospects in this forth coming draft. Arizona knowing that they NHL will find them guilty, throw a hail mary and trade that first to NJD for Hall. Now Arizona only have their 2nd, 4th and afterwards picks to lose from this years draft (unless the league wants to be really vindictive and take 2021 first away from them)

Like I said, my tin foil hat is on very tight for this theory and it is not like we do not have other hockey issues to talk about.

You are Arizona and you catch wind of the fact that the leagues has found out what you are doing and you realise you have broken some rules and a quick history of how the nhl deals with law breakers usually means a lost of a first rounder. You know Hall is in play and decide to trade the first you may very well have lost after the investigation for a former first overall and NHL MVP, while soon to be a UFA, there is a chance Arizona could keep him if he likes the place. Many players love Arizona.

Did Arizona in their minds decide they knew they were going to lose the pick and decide to get an asset for it before they lost it, hoping the NHL takes their 2nd away in this draft?

If Hall does not stay in Arizona it is a pretty bad trade and a clear win for the devils. But if the Hall stays in Arizona and Arizona is found guilty of the rule violations, knowing that in past history (Devils and Blues) where the teams lost first rounder due to breaking rules--in fact doesn't Arizona come out a head? and even if he walks away, the pick given up for him would be the pick the NHL would have stripped the club of anyway.

Sounds crazy I know--but I have been thinking about it after seeing a few TSN articles and listening to sports radio. Arizona may have traded a pick that they nay have very well have lost for nothing for a top winger and a chance that he may like the city and state and stay. That may have been their plan all along

Like I said--tin foil hat is on really tight for this one--but hey--I have in day 6 of issolation here in the UK and I am bouncing off walls

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Arizona is penalized a first round pick, they'll still lose a first round pick in the next draft.

I'm not sure what the conspiracy behind giving up more picks for Taylor Hall would be. They've got egg on their face.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I mean I guess there is no point in financial repercussions. At the end of the day the NHL didn’t spend so much time and money to do some thing like that. I’m sure it just goes away.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Arizona is penalized a first round pick, they'll still lose a first round pick in the next draft.

I'm not sure what the conspiracy behind giving up more picks for Taylor Hall would be. They've got egg on their face.

but I think a case could be made for them to lose their second this year and they may still have Hall.

2021 is not as deep as 2020

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
but I think a case could be made for them to lose their second this year and they may still have Hall.

2021 is not as deep as 2020

I've been on here for 10 years and heard this about every single draft. This one is always super deep and next years sucks. Then a bunch of draft eligible kids hit their development stride and the cycle repeats.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
TLDR but I seriously hope you are not suggesting the league will penalize the Coyotes to forfeit their 2020 1st rounder or any other picks which belongs to the Devils or the Coyotes were dumb enough to think they could pull a fast one.

"Cant take away our 1st round pick if we already traded it"

f8deef878867dee11b7a15a0a55765b4.jpg

No. Just no.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Or you are saying from the Coyotes POV:

Hall, no 2020 1st and 2021 1st (I forgot the conditions if he re-signs does that pick also go to NJ>>>>
no Hall and no 2020 1st?

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could see it, just in the way that the league wants the Coyotes to find success. That doesn't mean that they will let the Coyotes get away with it. But, I do think they will look at the state of the franchise and might go easier on them. After the Hall trade, and with Hall leaving, them losing their 2020 1st, and them missing the playoffs, their 2021 1st rounder is critically important going forward.

It's a hedge. If the trade worked out, maybe the league would feel better about taking the 2021 1st. But, it would mean that probably Hall re-signs and they are a playoff team now so it's worth it in the end.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We'll see how severe an indiscretion that the NHL deems this, at least off hand this didn't strike me as something that was overly egregious.

Trying to think of the last few draft pick punishments. Toronto lost a 2009 4th due to a contract that the NHL said wasn't legal. For the original 17 year Kovalchuk contract that was rejected, the Devils forfeited a 2011 3rd rounder immediately but the NHL gave a four year window [2011-2014] to forfeit the 1st. Eventually the NHL amended the punishment and the Devils were pushed to the end of the 1st round in 2014.

When the Blues were found guilty of tampering with Scott Stevens, the league gave a five year window [1999-2003] for the Devils to take a 1st round pick and to swap 1st round picks in a different year. Devils ended up taking the Blues 1st in 2001 and swapping in 2003.

But yeah, as the other folks have said, the NHL could just as easily tap a 2021 (or later) pick.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I have another theory:

To prevent the NHL from taking a closer look at the Coyotes' illegal testing, Arizona developed the coronavirus and planted it in China.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad