Injury Report: Timothy Liljegren Will Miss “Significant Time” -- December 16, 2023 Update.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
When has jumping a player ever resulted in adequate payback? I don't think it is the right response... I'd rather they give some good crosscheck to the ribs in from the net or on the boards or target him every time he gets the puck.

Marchand will just turtle if jumped and the fanbase will want more.

I agree with a response but disagree with most people's suggestion for the response, make his life hell every time he is near a Leaf, that is the appropriate response.
didn't see this till after i posted - you're right.. 100% do all those things.. combine it all. jump him, next time in corner do that crosscheck or elbow, stay in his ear everything, stick him

but you do both, if you only do the cheap shit that plays into their game

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't know if he was on the ice with Marchand, but it's immaterial.

How does a Rielly on Point hit in the corner result in Stamkos feeding Matthews his lunch? Doesn't matter, Reaves could have engaged any Bruin, anywhere.
What my point was, Keefe whining he didn't like the response, yet he doesn't put out his heavyweight against the culprit? That was hockey 101 a few years ago, why do you have the guy if not to address? He should have been out their next shift against Marchand, on whatever line was next up. Keefe acts like he was just some passive observer, which is maddening.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
BTW, you're right, he didn't land any punches on Kessel and if anyone's interested, this was a really enjoyable quick video of Scott explaining what happened I just found (looking to prove you wrong but again, you were right).

I think everyone is right that wants a response, I wasn't trying to say that is wrong, I just think the approach is wrong... that is all. Just rough him up, do borderline plays all night on him, make his life hell, slashes, crosschecks, and if there are scrums, get in there with him.

We had no response and I don't like that either.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Reaves could have done anything to any Bruin player like when he trucked that Wild guy with an open ice hit. Let Boston decide if they want a response.

He didn't have to go Marchand hunting, but he also could have... Marchand is so greasy he doesn't get the benefit of respect.

I have no respect for Reaves as a player and the concept doesn't even make sense to have a hesitating goon with his mind on other stuff.
He's fit in seamlessly with the rest of the team. He stupidly didn't read the email his first two games and had to be reminded what we stand for. He learnt though.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
1 yr deals to start with;
Marner hasn't lived up to his contract thus far this season; Mathews after 2 hot games to being with back2back hattricks hasn't done much

Klingberg has been a good add on the backend producing offense from backend reducing burden on Rielly.

Domi hasn't been too bad IMO

Bert needs to do his thing and he will eventually

Reaves needs to do more and it is to be seen

That Tavares contract is screwing a lot of how team can be balanced and next season it will be a bigger problem. You cannot step back without taking into account that contract when it comes to team building and team balance.

Tre is not even 6 months into the job you gotta give GM some time here

I actually liked the Klingberg signing, but he gives as much as he gets. With McCabe out, I fear there isn't a suitable option for his partner, so his 5v5 play is going to be an issue.

Added to that, Lilly is now out, which has created a chasm in the blue line which was already not the deepest to begin with. It shouldn't take an expert to see that was the issue that really addressing as well as decongesting the cap while getting forwards that can provide depth scoring.

Domi and Bertuzzi were brought in, but both look "meh" at best to this point.

So, he really hasn't changed or addressed any of the key issues making it the same team essentially, and can't be considered a better GM just by default.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think everyone is right that wants a response, I wasn't trying to say that is wrong, I just think the approach is wrong... that is all. Just rough him up, do borderline plays all night on him, make his life hell, slashes, crosschecks, and if there are scrums, get in there with him.

We had no response and I don't like that either.

Agreed I think. But if you've watched him over the years, the guy's a master of evading hits, etc. Very hard to get him which makes players even more frustrated and a big part of his success. Some have hit the lottery on him though. :)

Reactions: Ananda and bax

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's a fools game to judge the GM signings this early. I honestly ain't one bit concerned about Bert or Domi, they're known quantities trying to find a rhythm on a stack forward group, get back to me in Feb. Reaves was always a minor move(that apparently lives in people's head here rent free lol)and Klingberg is as advertised. Dubas left a mess, Tre is still an open question.

Precisely!

Judging the GM so early especially when GM has to deal with the garbage left over; and also plan for the future while not even 6 months on the job is hilarious

Klingberg has 5 points in 10 games and Mo has 7 points in 10 games. Marner is yet to find his groove.

Domi/Bert weren't brought in to be ppg players, if they do that; its just added bonus. They were brought in to be complimentary players and they will find their games or can be easily shipped out in Feb.

The plus/minus stat is usually frowned upon but IMO it does provide some useful information. McCabe had been terrible to start the season, Reaves of course has to be better defensively but we need the core4 to be in a significant PLUS category; once that happens everything will fall in place IMO

the 5 on 5 scoring needs to pick up and it needs to start with the core4 first.

1699119022104.png

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The correct response is measured in emotional volume by the team, not a specific checklist of punching, scrumming, cross checking, fighting where, when, how and whom. It's only supposed to express that you care about each other and that can't happen without hell to pay, to discourage it from happening again.

The Leafs measure F's across the board.

I agree with a response, but firstly, in the moment, I don't think anyone thought it was dirty, and even the Foligno/Perry fight was split on our board if it was dumb or warranted from what I remember, I look at that as a similar situation, so I can let it slide.

But after you have time to re-evaluate, I definitely think there should have been a response and I agree with them failing, the entire team.

I really hope that there was actually a discussion amongst the players and Keefe said he was disappointed to the media, I hope he told the players.

I hope there is serious change because in the past there has been a response (Winnipeg game that was brought up was the best example), but this year this team just feels all over the place, so hopefully they build on this embarrassment.

My posts about this are not me disagreeing with the lack of response, because there should have been one. I just disagree with most people's assessment on how they should have responded.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Somebody, anybody, should have been fighting him off the draw next shift. Domi, maybe Bert would have been good answers? But literally anyone.
Inaction on behalf of Liljegren teammates sends a message on its own,

There is no TEAM/Pack mentality or "All for one and one for all" which is needed to be a Cup contender if its really every man for themselves.

On other teams you see how players support and defend their teammates to the point that even on clean hits they come to the aid immediately.

Newcomers like Bert and Domi are really acting like individuals concerned only about themselves and their next contracts, and not about the comradery of being good teammates even when not contributing offensively. But then its hard to only blame them also because even Timmy's long-term teammates didn't blink an eye either when one of their own got hurt on a dirty and dangerous play.

This team is badly broken and just a bunch of individuals. IMO

Reactions: PromisedLand

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Agreed I think. But if you've watched him over the years, the guy's a master of evading hits, etc. Very hard to get him which makes players even more frustrated and a big part of his success. Some have hit the lottery on him though. :)

I 100% agree, he didn't stay a rat his whole career without learning how to avoid these confrontations and hits.

Sometimes I will rewatch this hit, it is beautiful.

Also loved the Lindgren (I think) crosscheck on him that was immediate retaliation that sent his helmet flying.

Edit: was Buchnevic

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Treliving spent 20 million on Bertuzzi, Domi, Kampf, Samsanov, Klingberg, and Reaves.

The best players have been Nylander, Tavares, Matthews, Rielly, and Woll.

"Look at all the trash Dubas left"

It's early things can change, but come on, you can't be this delusional.
Dubas didnt get any of those players…he inherited them all. All he did was overpay them to stay. He gutted our picks and prospects for useless players that didnt help anything in the playoffs.

Plus he gave NMC to all the players most importantly marner so we cant trade him.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas didnt get any of those players…he inherited them all. All he did was overpay them to stay. He gutted our picks and prospects for useless players that didnt help anything in the playoffs.

Plus he gave NMC to all the players most importantly marner so we cant trade him.

He didn't trade a single significant prospect, so, glad you're following the team. We finally have ELCs that can start playing for the team, this is much better than the years before.

He re-signed them and kept them with the team, you are allowed to move players if they don't fit the team you want to make.

I'd take a single Tavares over every signing made this off-season so far.

I'll say again, it is early, hope they step it up, but the 20 million dollars wasted this year so far is terrible and people are still complaining about Tavares making 2 million too much.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I actually liked the Klingberg signing, but he gives as much as he gets. With McCabe out, I fear there isn't a suitable option for his partner, so his 5v5 play is going to be an issue.

Added to that, Lilly is now out, which has created a chasm in the blue line which was already not the deepest to begin with. It shouldn't take an expert to see that was the issue that really addressing as well as decongesting the cap while getting forwards that can provide depth scoring.

Domi and Bertuzzi were brought in, but both look "meh" at best to this point.

So, he really hasn't changed or addressed any of the key issues making it the same team essentially, and can't be considered a better GM just by default.

I think Klingberg's play has relatively improved compared to the start of the season with McCabe not being his partner. McCabe was absolutely terrible to start the season. Last season besides Mo we had no offense from the backend (see pic below)
1699119704508.png

We can at least expect Klingberg to clock in at around 40+ points that is a positive as far as I am concerned and reduced offensive burden on Rielly. that is a serious position of concern that was addressed. Now could it have been better sure... but for better you have to "pay more" and Leafs had no cap space thanks to dubas.

Injuries, although they suck, are part and parcel of the game. This is when good teams/coach devise a strategy/systems to adopt to the new circumstances they find themselves in.

Boston had a bunch of injuries last season and they found a way to make it work. Same happened with Avs with Mack/Landeskog and even Makar misssing games last season but they found a way to make it work. Avs were decimated with even Nichushkin and Lehkonen missing a bunch of games.

Domi and Bert will find their games IMO or worst shipped out around Feb they are UFA free wallet contracts anyway; Leafs couldn't bid higher for others as there wasn't any cap left over due to dubas completely effing over the leafs

I think few of the biggest needs given how last season panned out were:;

1) needed more offense from D (added: Klingberg)
2) needed more "snot" in the top9 with players who don't get pushed over and can also produce a bit (added: Domi, Bertuzzi TBD how this pans out)
3) Matthews/Nylander contracts (Signed Matthews; Willy negotiations on-going)
4) Last and definitely not the least -> needed someone to take teammates to war with them (added: Reaves to hopefully change the softass mindset of this team-> would it happen? To be seen.... based on recent tweets posted in this thread apparently they had a discussion so TBD)

and more importantly, as was the case before, need more "belligerence, testosterone, pugnacity" from the core4 to begin with. Leaders need to lead with example and by that I don't mean fighting; but playing through checks; winning puck/board battles, winning races to 50-50 pucks; blocking shots; and heck even taking body when need be instead of poke-checking like morons.

I think Tre has done enough to address the needs given the time and cap space that was afforded to him and things that needed to be addressed in a very short time span.

You can't really judge a new GM when he is not even 6 months into a job.

Other teams aren't waiting to bendover and take all of Leafs' garbage and their own best to the leafs for free. It takes two to tango. Leafs had a GOLDEN opportunity during Matthews/Nylander/Marner RFA contracts when leafs had all the leverage which was absolutely squanered by dubas now we have to deal with the consequences and adapt given the circumstances. Which IMO Tre has done well so far with his very limited time with the club

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The whole idea is if your teammate gets wasted like that, stick up for him immediately. Figure out later if it was "legal" or not.

How can anyone come into this forum as a Leaf fan and defend what Marchand did? wtf is the matter with you cucks?
They do it for the attention and everyone continues to provide it for them.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So much for the new SNOT squad...

I have an observation regarding the team's toughness.
Mitch, Willy, JT will NEVER scrum it up in defense of a teammate. (Auston is a maybe/probably not)
That is too many non-combative players for one team.

I have never said this but Mitch should be the odd man out, deal him to a team that is already team-tough and he will be awesome. Too hard to win in the playoffs with so many guys that won't push back.
I disagree with moving MM and I'll use your argument. MM would be absolutely awesome on a team that had some real grease, and trading him to one isn't going to get you grease from a team who wants to stay greasy.

Try again on who should be moved if anyone gets moved and it ain't Filthy Billy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They do it for the attention and everyone continues to provide it for them.

What does this even mean?

They do it because some guys are just nasty and have no problems doing dangerous things to win. You think he was thinking I am going to trip this guy for likes or mentions?

Its just how he is. Oddly enough that edge is something our team lacks and imagine my shock we are put out of the playoffs routinely in a hurry.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Reaves on the lack of response to the Marchand hit the other night; “It was addressed in the room. It’ll change going forward”.

I would've paid to be a fly on the wall when this was addressed.

I imagine some of the tougher guys did some out of line shouting. Probably while Keefe was okaly dokalying about the respect of the handshake line and 2 goal comeback.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
WTF kind of hellhole answer is this?

Translation. I dont want to get my pretty face hit or concussed but, we gotta look into it and do things differently like stern looks and yelling.

There are way better responses in womens hockey.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What my point was, Keefe whining he didn't like the response, yet he doesn't put out his heavyweight against the culprit? That was hockey 101 a few years ago, why do you have the guy if not to address? He should have been out their next shift against Marchand, on whatever line was next up. Keefe acts like he was just some passive observer, which is maddening.
Your heavy is never going to be the guy fighting Marchand. Its happened once in the last 25 years that i can think of and John Scott's a running joke because of it

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Keefe: 'I hated everything about' Maple Leafs' response to Marchand hit

Reactions: thewave

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We can at least expect Klingberg to clock in at around 40+ points that is a positive as far as I am concerned and reduced offensive burden on Rielly. that is a serious position of concern that was addressed. Now could it have been better sure... but for better you have to "pay more" and Leafs had no cap space thanks to dubas.
Well, it is also up to him to alleviate or fix the cap issue as well. As I said it's not a secret what the issues are concerning the team.

and more importantly, as was the case before, need more "belligerence, testosterone, pugnacity" from the core4 to begin with. Leaders need to lead with example and by that I don't mean fighting; but playing through checks; winning puck/board battles, winning races to 50-50 pucks; blocking shots; and heck even taking body when need be instead of poke-checking like morons.

This is probably an overblown issue and I doubt it's fixed by the group of Bertuzzi, Domi, and Reeves. If it doesn't come from the "big guys" then it's likely not going to mean much.

Domi and Bert will find their games IMO or worst shipped out around Feb they are UFA free wallet contracts anyway; Leafs couldn't bid higher for others as there wasn't any cap left over due to dubas completely effing over the leafs

Bertuzzi has an NMC. So he's here unless he doesn't want to be. Domi's trade provision is less of an issue, but finding a taker may be harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad