Tribute Timothy Liljegren Part 3 - Everyone wants Flowers.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Carlo Colaiacovo on suicide watch.

Again this is such a blown out of proportion reaction. Carlo has never said he doesn’t like Liljegren. He said if you have to depend on Liljegren to be a Top 2 or Top 4 defenseman. Your team is in trouble. Which was true at the time of the statement. Our vets on defense were shitting the bed and we shouldn’t have been relying on Liljegren to fill those minutes just yet. He was not ready for them early in the season and you saw a lot of mistakes.

Leave it to HF boards to turn everything into a hate fest.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Again this is such a blown out of proportion reaction. Carlo has never said he doesn’t like Liljegren. He said if you have to depend on Liljegren to be a Top 2 or Top 4 defenseman. Your team is in trouble. Which was true at the time of the statement. Our vets on defense were shitting the bed and we shouldn’t have been relying on Liljegren to fill those minutes just yet. He was not ready for them early in the season and you saw a lot of mistakes.

Only recently has his narratives changed from "Bust" to "In-experienced" just last week he was still doubling down on Leafs Lunch and was called out for it by the female host (Shilton?) as a "Hater".

He's using the inexperienced to back track all the bashing he's been doing all of this year and last.

Dude is just a verified Basher, he makes First Up unbearable.

If you need evidence, just look at his tweet history regarding Liljegren.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Only recently has his narratives changed from "Bust" to "In-experienced" just last week he was still doubling down on Leafs Lunch and was called out for it by the female host (Shilton?) as a "Hater".

He's using the inexperienced to back track all the bashing he's been doing all of this year and last.

It's true, it's been comical hearing them re-invent the reasons they had to hate on him. Apparently, it's only Gio that made him look good.

They also overrate how much he has improved this season, while he has, every young player has a chance too, his trajectory has been completely predictable based on watching him with the marlies or what you saw early in his NHL starts.

They act like its some giant miracle change that no one saw coming.

Most media guys don't actually watch the games intently enough to even have a valid opinion

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's true, it's been comical hearing them re-invent the reasons they had to hate on him. Apparently, it's only Gio that made him look good.

They also overrate how much he has improved this season, while he has, every young player has a chance too, his trajectory has been completely predictable based on watching him with the marlies or what you saw early in his NHL starts.

They act like its some giant miracle change that no one saw coming.

Most media guys don't actually watch the games intently enough to even have a valid opinion
I think this is dumbest narrative as well. Most of the big guys at TSN are doing TV now too. When they are in studio doing the games they are watching. they are also huge leafs fans and go up in the boxes. They watch, I don’t always agree with their takes but to say they don’t watch is just dumb. Especially when all they talk about is how they love going to the games in the Alumni box or how they watch leafs games. It’s why the former players takes are so hot because they are just as passionate about the team as fans.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

actually he said a team would be in trouble if they had to rely on Liljegren as a #7 dman.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I listen every morning on the way to work. He was hating a bit at the beginning of the season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
actually he said a team would be in trouble if they had to rely on Liljegren as a #7 dman.

Which was really dumb on his part. But I think he 100% flubbed what he intended to say. Again that has a lot to do with his lack of experience in terms of being on the radio. And he gets so upset during his takes he can’t even talk properly.

Again Carlo isn’t perfect, isn’t even my favourite TSN guy LOL

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren vs Tampa this year:
57.3 cf% | 66.7 GF% | 59.4 xGF%

Holl vs Tampa this year:
50 cf% | 16.7 GF% | 50.4 xGF%

Liljegren has clearly been great against Tampa this year so far. The playoffs are a whole different beast, but I think his mobility and transition ability are too good to pass up
Plus if Liljegren struggles, you have a more than capable replacement in Holl. If if were up to me, Lyb is sitting instead but I get it.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Really great to see Liljegren play well and is coming into his own. I kept saying that he needed some consistent icetime to allow him to get a rhythm going and to get more experience so that we could see if he was ready for the NHL or not and right now he's showing that he definitely is. :)

Glad that Dubas never traded him and that hopefully he never came close to doing so and for all the people who kept putting Liljegren into tons of trade proposals before we even had a chance to get a good long look at him, how bad would it be now to see him playing good for another team instead of us?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I wasn't giving him the full benefit because I wasn't sure how strong he was on the defensive end, in front of net etc. But he is just so good it might cover any short comings there. Although I would say he can at least hold his own on that end.

Reactions: francis246

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I said it in the GDT. I catch myself 10+ times a game saying "wow" towards him.

He's got that Gardiner ability where he does these little plays to make forecheckers look silly and have insanely clean breakouts. Thankfully he doesn't have that same ability to throw pizza's up the middle, but man I was arguably his biggest fan pre-season and even I'm surprised how fast he's become one of the best defenseman on this team and trusted in all situations. Sign him long term please.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Doughty JR.

What a beast

LOL… always come here for the crazy takes. He plays nothing like Drew Doughty.

Nevertheless he was outstanding last night. I’ve definitely ate crow, hes a very solid defenseman. I never want to see him out of the line up. Hopefully his confidence continues to grow. But he is def a very important piece of our future moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad