Tribute Timothy Liljegren Part 3 - Everyone wants Flowers.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sandin and Liljegren are very different. Sandin has top tier puck skills that can get him out of danger but if he bobbles the puck, he's not fast enough to make up for it. Liljegren is also a lot better one on one and more physical too while being the better skater. I feel way more comfortable having Lilly out there.
Post automatically merged:

If Sandin EVER adds another gear of speed to his game, the Leafs laugh to the bank. He would have one of the most interesting skillsets of D in the entire league.
Now while there are a few exceptions not many guys change their strides at pro level to increase footspeed .. but he could work on developing his leg muscles further to add more power and a little more speed but it won't be enough as his footspeed is mid tier AHL level .. my issue is I don't see him tearing down his stride to lengthen it .. it is a very hard thing to do almost impossible .. but if he ever did then I could jump on board very easily with him being an NHL potential #1 as he has every other skill required in spades .. it is toughest GM call on da team

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure how and why people are turning this in a Sandin vs Lily thread. Both have big potential and may very well be two top 4 D for us!
Think it’s more likely Lilligren an eventual top pair player while Sandin settles in on the bottom pair.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Think it’s more likely Lilligren an eventual top pair player while Sandin settles in on the bottom pair.

based on what? The sample size for both is so small and if we are being honest, both didn't look particularly amazing when they were on the top pairing at various points this season and last (for Sandin). Both have looked way better in 2nd and 3rd pairing roles with an established veteran. Both struggled in different ways when paired with Rielly. So maybe Rielly is the problem lol.

Never-the-less, it's so hard to predict how they will shape up and the point is, we won't know until a few years down the line. I'm pretty sure the organization views both as Top 4 dmen. Both are going to be given every opportunity to grab a hold of those spots even as early as next season.

Now while there are a few exceptions not many guys change their strides at pro level to increase footspeed .. but he could work on developing his leg muscles further to add more power and a little more speed but it won't be enough as his footspeed is mid tier AHL level .. my issue is I don't see him tearing down his stride to lengthen it .. it is a very hard thing to do almost impossible .. but if he ever did then I could jump on board very easily with him being an NHL potential #1 as he has every other skill required in spades .. it is toughest GM call on da team

I also think this knack on his skating is so over blown and exaggerated. He's not slow, but he isn't the fastest guy. It really doesn't matter. If Boosh's speed is enough to play top d-pairing minutes, Sandin who is more skilled will be fine. Even the best of skaters get blown by. It's just something to nit pick at to tear him down which is pretty dumb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
based on what? The sample size for both is so small and if we are being honest, both didn't look particularly amazing when they were on the top pairing at various points this season and last (for Sandin). Both have looked way better in 2nd and 3rd pairing roles with an established veteran. Both struggled in different ways when paired with Rielly. So maybe Rielly is the problem lol.

Never-the-less, it's so hard to predict how they will shape up and the point is, we won't know until a few years down the line. I'm pretty sure the organization views both as Top 4 dmen. Both are going to be given every opportunity to grab a hold of those spots even as early as next season.

I also think this knack on his skating is so over blown and exaggerated. He's not slow, but he isn't the fastest guy. It really doesn't matter. If Boosh's speed is enough to play top d-pairing minutes, Sandin who is more skilled will be fine. Even the best of skaters get blown by. It's just something to nit pick at to tear him down which is pretty dumb
I don't view it as a nitpicking thing when Sandin is slowest man on team in full ice races goal line to goal line every camp .. also was 2nd slowest on Marlie team camp in year I was in attendance at that one too .. those of us who played and know da finer points of technique in skating understand what da issue is .. Keefer and Dubie know it too .. but there are people in life who put blanket over their head and pray for a different outcome I get it

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Liljegren and Sandin are both great. Both will be top 4 fixtures. Sandin going down has made people forget how effective he was when in the lineup. We're going into next season with:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - x

That's damn deep, and Topi Niemela is on the way too (don't worry, you'll know his name soon enough if you don't already ;))

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Liljegren and Sandin are both great. Both will be top 4 fixtures. Sandin going down has made people forget how effective he was when in the lineup. We're going into next season with:
When healthy, Sandin has shown a lot of potential on the offensive end (Kaberle like) but on defense side I think he has more work than Lilijegren.

What I would like to see from Sandin to take the next step is improve foot speed and gain some strength - He doesn't look out of place on the offensive end but when it comes to the opposite side of the puck it was apparent that he was overwhelmed by Montreal's physicality in the playoffs last year.

Both Sandin and Liljegren will be valuable pieces going forward.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’ll be better able to judge Liljegren after tonight’s game, the biggest game in his young career. So far his game has continued to improve as the season progressed. Tonight he will face a charged up Stanley Cup winning team that will try to pressure him at every turn. Happy he’s a partner like Geo to keep him grounded, and hoping TL continues to impress. A solid game tonight and Timothy Liljegren is a staple on our backend. I think he does it. GLG!

Reactions: freshwind

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
So many pucks to the point wasted tonight. Not like we have a d man on the team that knows what to do with the puck at the point or anything like that.

Vasi is swiss cheese this series I bet at least one makes it in, either clean screened or tipped.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
So many pucks to the point wasted tonight. Not like we have a d man on the team that knows what to do with the puck at the point or anything like that.

Vasi is swiss cheese this series I bet at least one makes it in, either clean screened or tipped.
"is" swiss cheese? 😢

That is now a "Was" my friend. No more playoffs for the good guys.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I read how horrible Liljegren was in game 2. How about the rest of the players?

Also read about someone scoring a couple meaningless goals in a loss, but I didn't hear about any of the Leafs goals in this game being meaningless.

NHL wrong?

1653870590408.png

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I was one of the more skeptical Liljegren posters the past few seasons but didnt post much about him.

He played great this season and seemingly got better as the season went along and the mishaps became less and less.

Should become a very dependable top 4 RHD who provides a bit of everything.

I think it was a mistake made by the team to take him out of the lineup against TB.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I read how horrible Liljegren was in game 2. How about the rest of the players?

Also read about someone scoring a couple meaningless goals in a loss, but I didn't hear about any of the Leafs goals in this game being meaningless.

NHL wrong?

View attachment 553599

What sticks out is the penalty differential. Even if we did squeak by Tampa we'd probably have 4x the penalties of Colorado in the final, thanks to Gary and his pro-USA reffing team.

Keep Lily and demote the coach who wasn't playing him enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad