Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
we have not even seen what this kid is fully capable of yet. His game hinges entirely on his confidence level. The more he plays consistently, the better version of Timmy we get.

I'm happy that Timmy is starting to get some love on this board finally. Those who have watched him on the Marlies in years past should not 1 bit surprised by this level of play. Hard to argue the results I guess, but he's been this good for a while. Have to wonder what took them so long in giving him a real look

One thing that has always impressed me with Timmy is his risk/reward assessments. He just doesn't compromise positioning to cheat offensively all that often. And when he does, he is hardly ever wrong. Something that young offensive/2-way D-men struggle with regularly. Even Dermott still struggles from time to time with this, albeit less often each passing year. From the minute I began watching Timmy with the Marlies I saw top pairing upside. I know I am not alone in this regard. He seems to compliment Sandin quite well in this "Sheltered" bottom pairing role. From an eye test standpoint, their controlled exits are absolutely phenomenal IMO. So much poise.

We are in for a treat to watch these 2 play together for the next however many years.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
giphy.gif
:laugh: He still around? Had him on ignore the last little while so wouldn't know

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
we have not even seen what this kid is fully capable of yet. His game hinges entirely on his confidence level. The more he plays consistently, the better version of Timmy we get.

I'm happy that Timmy is starting to get some love on this board finally. Those who have watched him on the Marlies in years past should not 1 bit surprised by this level of play. Hard to argue the results I guess, but he's been this good for a while. Have to wonder what took them so long in giving him a real look

One thing that has always impressed me with Timmy is his risk/reward assessments. He just doesn't compromise positioning to cheat offensively all that often. And when he does, he is hardly ever wrong. Something that young offensive/2-way D-men struggle with regularly. Even Dermott still struggles from time to time with this, albeit less often each passing year. From the minute I began watching Timmy with the Marlies I saw top pairing upside. I know I am not alone in this regard. He seems to compliment Sandin quite well in this "Sheltered" bottom pairing role. From an eye test standpoint, their controlled exits are absolutely phenomenal IMO. So much poise.

We are in for a treat to watch these 2 play together for the next however many years.

If they keep this up we have 3 quality 2nd pairings, which is best case scenario for a team without a true elite #1.

Not to mention, years of team control to have these guys around for at least 5-7 years, quality replacements for when Muzzin and Brodie inevitably phase out.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Uh, he is so far from Rasmus Andersson. His comparable would be somebody like Calle Rosen, a soft and timid defenceman on the bubble of NHL employment who can skate a bit with the puck if he gets it and has average to middling decision making skills. Of course if you read this thread he's some infinite ceiling defensive unicorn and the reason Marner and Matthews showed up for the first time last night against Vegas. He was plus 2 against a disinterested club who was missing half their forwards and despite playing with Matthews all night didn't manage a point. He's much closer to the KHL than the Norris trophy but don't let that ruin any fantasies you may have.
Ah shut it Holeo,
You could eat a can of alphabet soup and remove it halfway through your digestive system and throw it on a blank piece of paper and it would make more sense than the b.s spouting out from your mouth (keyboard) like a faulty tap.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The sad part, those of us who said that it takes time and it didn’t mean he was a bust, we’re somehow hating on the kid. He’s still young, his development is right where it should be and I’m glad the team didn’t ruin him by following the silliness expoused here when he clearly wasn’t quite ripe. Now we see the byproduct of patience. Good on him.

statements like these always baffle me. The team literally does not care about HF Boards. They never have and never will. Liljegren’s development was never going to hinge on what posters think on here.

Nevertheless you do make some great points, the development plan they have come up with. Seems to be working, he seems hungry.

Reactions: Cams

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
the fact is the Leafs are a better team with Liljegren, and a worse team with Holl. Things should stay the same until Liljegren starts to struggle, which might never happen

I’d like to see them test him against Tampa and other good teams just so we can get a glimpse of him in high pressure situations. But I have to say I do agree, him in for Hall makes more sense. Sucks we lost out on McCann over Holl but oh well.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Glad to see a lot of you eating crow.

Yeah, I'll take some of that. I truly didn't see him becoming a full-time NHL defenseman.

The fact that he dialled back a lot of his mental mistakes has me shocked at what he's developing into. I can see his confidence rising with each period as well. I think he still takes some unnecessary hits in his own end, but that will come with time I think.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah, I'll take some of that. I truly didn't see him becoming a full-time NHL defenseman.

The fact that he dialled back a lot of his mental mistakes has me shocked at what he's developing into. I can see his confidence rising with each period as well. I think he still takes some unnecessary hits in his own end, but that will come with time I think.

I’ll double down on this. I agree, I didn’t see it either. But I can accept I may be wrong.

Reactions: chamchibap

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Big mistake would be to take him out now .. let him get a months worth of games under his belt .. Holl is a 6th/7th dman in NHL and he will be nothing more than that ever .. when an injury occurs if we have CAP space then nice to have him there to fill in here and there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad