Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
:laugh: You want me to search for something you’ve imagined o_O
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny but if you honestly think people around here haven't trashed Liljegren for years, you need to get checked out.

The problem is, you don't follow any of the Leafs prospects (you had to ask who Topi Niemala was in a different thread yesterday). People like you start to learn about players once they get called up.

I'll give you a clue - search any of the prospect threads on this board over the last 4 years. Yes - we have a prospects thread.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I’m pumping the breaks on my excitement. Stu Percy also looked great in his first few games

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny but if you honestly think people around here haven't trashed Liljegren for years, you need to get checked out.

The problem is, you don't follow any of the Leafs prospects (you had to ask who Topi Niemala was in a different thread yesterday). People like you start to learn about players once they get called up.

I'll give you a clue - search any of the prospect threads on this board over the last 4 years. Yes - we have a prospects thread.
I suppose there are some haters. Also very very true, a cadre of unrelenting pumpers who took any critique of the kid as slagging. If you dared suggest a 20 year old raw prospect wasn’t NHL ready, the insecure backers could even engage in mature discussion. Recall #freelil three years ago? Lol. Ditto, you may recall the shrieks of bombast when people said he may take 4-5 years to become an NHL regular. And yet here we sit and now that’s strangely ignored. Lil was a very young guy thrust into pro hockey, he had incredible potential, he just needed time and had to be handled properly. In reality, the pumpers were dead wrong and the cautious opinions have proven the most reasonable. He’s ready now, maybe over ripe, and the team is the better for it.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Friedman said something that was illuminating and may explain the hate he has gotten from the media people.

He confirmed the rumour (or was it always confirmed?) that Liljegren was, in fact, offered to the LA Kings for Muzzin. Some of the Leafs management always believed in Lily, but, obviously, some thought he would be more useful as trade bait. I think the knowledge of this trade offer by the insiders made them start to doubt him a few years back. Add the fact that those guys didn't have time to watch him progress in the AHL, like a lot of us have, and there you go......the negative view on him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I suppose there are some haters. Also very very true, a cadre of unrelenting pumpers who took any critique of the kid as slagging. If you dared suggest a 20 year old raw prospect wasn’t NHL ready, the insecure backers could even engage in mature discussion. Recall #freelil three years ago? Lol. Ditto, you may recall the shrieks of bombast when people said he may take 4-5 years to become an NHL regular. And yet here we sit and now that’s strangely ignored. Lil was a very young guy thrust into pro hockey, he had incredible potential, he just needed time and had to be handled properly. In reality, the pumpers were dead wrong and the cautious opinions have proven the most reasonable. He’s ready now, maybe over ripe, and the team is the better for it.

Youre kidding yourself if you dont believe a large portion of this fanbase already labelled him as a bust.

They even said so when he was rumoured to be involved in a deal for Muzzin when most believed he was interchangeable for Durzi, not realizing he was the centrepiece of the alternative package.

Reactions: LeafChief

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mature response. Rare and welcomed :clap:

Reactions: DarkKnight

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Friedman said something that was illuminating and may explain the hate he has gotten from the media people.

He confirmed the rumour (or was it always confirmed?) that Liljegren was, in fact, offered to the LA Kings for Muzzin. Some of the Leafs management always believed in Lily, but, obviously, some thought he would be more useful as trade bait. I think the knowledge of this trade offer by the insiders made them start to doubt him a few years back. Add the fact that those guys didn't have time to watch him progress in the AHL, like a lot of us have, and there you go......the negative view on him.

I thought that the Kings wanted Lily but the Leafs would give Lily and a 1st so the Kings took Durzi

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I thought that the Kings wanted Lily but the Leafs would give Lily and a 1st so the Kings took Durzi

I imagine there’s a very good chance that’s how it went down. They were willing to part with a prospect of Liljegren’ calibre if no first were involved, but LA wanted the pick and took the offer that included one. Makes perfect sense to me and I don’t think it’s an indictment of how the organization felt about him, even if some will read it that way. He’s also developed a lot since then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad