Value of: Timo Meier to Chicago

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
And there you go overvaluing a 3rd overall in a draft that is weak outside the top 2.
Holy exaggeration Batman.
Nobody ever said the draft was weak inside the top 10.

The top 2 picks are just head and shoulders above the rest

There are some game breakers to be had, just not at Hughes or kakko take over the game level

There's a difference

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Lol he is not worth more than the third overall pick

You can argue he is worth that straight up. But just because he hit 30 goals and 65+ pts in his second full NHL season doesn't make him a solid argument for 3OA let alone the +

By that logic Chicago should be asking the rangers for kakko + + for debrincat

Meier is a nice player, but asking for 3OA is getting carried away to say the least
Did you read what I wrote? "to the Sharks he 100% is worth that and more". If you want a borderline untouchable player from the Sharks, you gotta pay. I don't see how a 22 year old player drafted 9th overall is not worth a prospect drafted 6 places higher than him. Especially when Meier has proven the last 2 years he can be a great player in the league where as whoever is taken 3OA could be a bust or someone maybe as good as Meier. It's not worth the gamble to try and get someone a little better, hence why I asked for you to overpay.

This entire thread is pointless because Meier isnt being traded for anything short of an overpayment...the same as all those Hertl threads we used to see here. It's a pointless exercise because Sharks will rightfully ask for an overpayment and Chicago fans will rightfully say "thats an overpayment!!! He isnt worth that!". HF tradeboard 101

Edit: Also because you want to undervalue Meier, 55 of his 66 points were even strength this year and 32 of his 36 last year

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Did you read what I wrote? "to the Sharks he 100% is worth that and more". If you want a borderline untouchable player from the Sharks, you gotta pay. I don't see how a 22 year old player drafted 9th overall is not worth a prospect drafted 6 places higher than him. Especially when Meier has proven the last 2 years he can be a great player in the league where as whoever is taken 3OA could be a bust or someone maybe as good as Meier. It's not worth the gamble to try and get someone a little better, hence why I asked for you to overpay.

This entire thread is pointless because Meier isnt being traded for anything short of an overpayment...the same as all those Hertl threads we used to see here. It's a pointless exercise because Sharks will rightfully ask for an overpayment and Chicago fans will rightfully say "thats an overpayment!!! He isnt worth that!". HF tradeboard 101
Except meier is still very unproven with a paper thin resume. He played a full season last year and didn't even crack 40 pts so he could easily slump next year and his career production line drastically doesn't look so Rosey

He had a good, not stellar year, so asking for a lottery pick right after year which followed a "meh" year is ambitious to put it nicely

105 games with 24 goals and 42 pts

Then 78 games with 30 goals and 66 pts

Again, one season of good production doesn't just make him a wash with a lottery pick and potential franchise player

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
That wouldn't be the price at all. Now you're just overeating Meier. Sentimental value doesn't impact trade value.

How many 3rd overall picks prior to Meier's draft year were worth more than Meier is now at the time of the draft?

Draisaitl, Toews, Horton, Maybe Drouin, Gaborik

How many 3rd overall picks would I not move Meier for?

Galchenyuk, Gudbranson, Duchene, Bogosian, Turris, Johnson, Barker, JBo, Huberdeau, Svitov

And then taking what we know now the only ones I would not take Meier would be Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Toews, Horton, Gaborik.

In this draft I think asking for 3rd overall+ is fair, but the reality is neither organization would make that move because this isn't EAsports.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
How many 3rd overall picks prior to Meier's draft year were worth more than Meier is now at the time of the draft?

Draisaitl, Toews, Horton, Maybe Drouin, Gaborik

How many 3rd overall picks would I not move Meier for?

Galchenyuk, Gudbranson, Duchene, Bogosian, Turris, Johnson, Barker, JBo, Huberdeau, Svitov

And then taking what we know now the only ones I would not take Meier would be Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Toews, Horton, Gaborik.

In this draft I think asking for 3rd overall+ is fair, but the reality is neither organization would make that move because this isn't EAsports.

I'd love to hear why Meier shouldnt be moved for huberdeau who just had a 92 pt season

I don't think anyone would ever bet Meier will be a 90+ pt player

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'd love to hear why Meier shouldnt be moved for huberdeau who just had a 92 pt season

I don't think anyone would ever bet Meier will be a 90+ pt player

Can you not read? I listed, and you quoted me that Huberdeau now would be worth more. However as I stated before based on where they were in their draft, and expectations and projections no one had Huberdeau eventually being a 90 pt player, even in his 7th NHL season.

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Except meier is still very unproven with a paper thin resume. He played a full season last year and didn't even crack 40 pts so he could easily slump next year and his career production line drastically doesn't look so Rosey

He had a good, not stellar year, so asking for a lottery pick right after year which followed a "meh" year is ambitious to put it nicely

Again, one season of good production doesn't just make him a wash with a lottery pick and potential franchise player
Not all of Timo's attributes show up on a spread sheet

Reactions: SjMilhouse

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not happening.

I said this and I was hoping it would stop the inevitable “Meier for 3rd overall” discussion but it’s not.

He’s just not being traded. It doesn’t even matter if the 3rd overall is on the table because a contending team isn’t going to trade a 22 year old homegrown star coming off his ELC who is a huge part of their core. It’s just not going to happen and there’s no point in discussing it.

Just stop talking about him lol

Reactions: Gecklund

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Thats cool. I want the Sharks to keep Timo and you can keep your magic bean

Last edited:

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I'm not the one proposing this deal. I'm simply stating that he's very much worth at least the 3rd that others have proposed.
We're in "bird in the hand" territory here.

The Sharks aren't going to risk a known, highly valuable commodity like Timo, for a pick downstream of Hughes and Kakko who MIGHT develop into a player equivalent in value to Timo in 2-3 years.

He's a huge piece of the forward core as the Joes approach retirement and Couture's best seasons are behind him.

Edit: depending on what the "at least" implies.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
We're in "bird in the hand" territory here.

The Sharks aren't going to risk a known, highly valuable commodity like Timo, for a pick downstream of Hughes and Kakko who MIGHT develop into a player equivalent in value to Timo in 2-3 years.

He's a huge piece of the forward core as the Joes approach retirement and Couture's best seasons are behind him.

Edit: depending on what the "at least" implies.

No kidding, when was the last time a young player with this much success was dealt? This subforum is an act of futility, and evidently people don't actually read its context, and just jump on the first thing they can, but as I said before I was merely replying to someone who stated, "That wouldn't be the price at all. Now you're just overeating Meier. Sentimental value doesn't impact trade value." and approached it with real life examples of the value of 3rd overall, and found that yes, Timo would be at least worth a 3rd and is very much worth the high make believe cost some of put on him.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'm not the one proposing this deal. I'm simply stating that he's very much worth at least the 3rd that others have proposed.

Sorry that was misquoted. When I post from my phone it has misquoted the wrong post before. I'm not sure why it does that from time-to-time. My apologies...it was directed at the Hawkeytalk fellow.

Reactions: greasysnapper

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Holy exaggeration Batman.
Nobody ever said the draft was weak inside the top 10.

The top 2 picks are just head and shoulders above the rest

There are some game breakers to be had, just not at Hughes or kakko take over the game level

There's a difference
I’ve read multiple times that this draft isn’t really that crazy. Pretty average draft from top to bottom.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I’ve read multiple times that this draft isn’t really that crazy. Pretty average draft from top to bottom.

No, it's very vanilla after about the top 8. It's just wide open consensus between about 3-8. Then there is a steep gamble beyond 9th OA

I don't think people view someone like turcotte as "average"

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No, it's very vanilla after about the top 8. It's just wide open consensus between about 3-8. Then there is a steep gamble beyond 9th OA

I don't think people view someone like turcotte as "average"
and you are soooo right.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That wouldn't be the price at all. Now you're just overeating Meier. Sentimental value doesn't impact trade value.

Meier is proving to be better than anyone outside the top 2 of this draft projects to be and hes already developed. If you think 3rd overall is way too high then you wouldnt want to pay what it costs to get a 22 year old 66 point power forward.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have to give a lot of credit to all of the Oilers fans coming into this thread and explaining why these proposals are terrible and why Meier is a keeper. :)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Meier is proving to be better than anyone outside the top 2 of this draft projects to be and hes already developed. If you think 3rd overall is way too high then you wouldnt want to pay what it costs to get a 22 year old 66 point power forward.

Lol the most absurd statement yet. You must see into the future doctor strange

Yea, no shot anyone after no.2 overall will hit 30 goals or 66 pts, those unreachable production numbers

What a joke

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Lol the most absurd statement yet. You must see into the future doctor strange

Yea, no shot anyone after no.2 overall will hit 30 goals or 66 pts, those unreachable production numbers

What a joke

Not sure why there's so much hate. Meier is still trending upward, hes 22 and hit 66 points in his 2nd full year. Can you find a reason why you would trade a prospect you picked and developed for a draft pick that you hope could have the same results? Doesnt make any sense what so ever.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Not sure why there's so much hate. Meier is still trending upward, hes 22 and hit 66 points in his 2nd full year. Can you find a reason why you would trade a prospect you picked and developed for a draft pick that you hope could have the same results? Doesnt make any sense what so ever.
I'm not arguing for reasons to keep him, but saying he is worth the third overall pick + is just absurd.

Even more absurd to the poster claiming nobody after no 2 OA will produce what Meier has already become especially since 30 goals and 66 pts is nothing special

It's good, not great production. Someone like turcotte or cozens could easily have a solid rookie year at hit close to that or surpass it. Meier didn't even hit 40 pts in his first full season.

I'd be shocked if turcotte or cozens doesn't easily hit 40+ pts in their rookie seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad