Prospect Info: Timmons

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Pros: Great shot, fairly smart player, perfect passing.
Cons: Slow, makes mistakes sometimes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pros: Very Smart player, Makes good decisions and quick reads, strong on both ends of the ice.

Cons: Skates like a Deer on the ice

The thing is he's a really good player and had been an excellent player, until he hit the NHL level. He has always been phenomenal at making quick smart plays, at both ends of the ice. Seemed to always make the right play at the right time sort of thing.

At the NHL level, we haven't seen that nearly as much as we had hoped for. I dunno if it's the speed of the NHL game that he struggles with, or if it's maybe the injury history catching up to his brain, or if he's just not read yet for the NHL or what. But at the NHL level we have yet to really see those smart heads up plays shine through his game at a consistent level. Instead we've seen some really bad decisions and reads that have directly resulted in trouble on the ice for himself.

IMO he still has NHL upside for sure and I still think he can be a Top 4 guy in the league. His skating isn't the best but I don't believe it to be completely terrible either and I dont think his skating is what will prevent him from. Having success in the NHL. But it does mean he has to execute things much better than he has shown in the league so far, and I get the concerns from folks who aren't as high on his game about whether that will ever translate to the NHL level.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Pros: Great shot, fairly smart player, perfect passing.
Cons: Slow, makes mistakes sometimes.
Haven't really seen this great shot. It's pretty good to decent I guess.

Also his passing is not always perfect that's for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's going to end up a solid NHL defensemen, but I don't think it will be with the Avs. The Avs' pace is just way too fast for his game. His skating is below average and he has to really trust his decisions to play at a high pace, and that wasn't showing signs to work with the Avs. Put him on a slower pace team, and he'll thrive. IMO put him on a team like Tampa or Isles and he'd quickly grab a 4/5 spot and end up a legit top 4 guy soon. But a team like Carolina or Avs, and he's just going to struggle keeping up until his brain comes around.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think he'd excel in the NHL on a team that doesn't have such an emphasis on skating ability. A team like LAK or ANA or the like, perhaps.

Smart player, good hands, good shot, good offensive instincts. Still needs some strength but his issue on defense is gap control/footraces as he has a weird skating stride, I think his issues could be magnified due to our system or maybe he just needs more time to adjust to the speed of the league. I think he's an NHL player soon as he's smart and can handle the puck/break it out crisply and is a willing defender. Has some injury history.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's Timmins, not Timmons...

76dcb6f4f25ccadcd86f9cccc8d67f94.gif

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Smart passer, quick decisions, usually good positioning. Bad first few steps, not a guy who can win foot races consistently. That said, he's a NHL level skater, so just needs a longer adjustment time compared to Byram/Girard/Makar who are elite skaters.

Reactions: LTC Pain

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's going to end up a solid NHL defensemen, but I don't think it will be with the Avs. The Avs' pace is just way too fast for his game. His skating is below average and he has to really trust his decisions to play at a high pace, and that wasn't showing signs to work with the Avs. Put him on a slower pace team, and he'll thrive. IMO put him on a team like Tampa or Isles and he'd quickly grab a 4/5 spot and end up a legit top 4 guy soon. But a team like Carolina or Avs, and he's just going to struggle keeping up until his brain comes around.

The last few games might be signalling his brain is coming around.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think it was @S E P H that mentioned recently how talented he was in the O-zone in junior and we’re seeing glimpses of that of late. He’s got a good slap shot and is zipping the puck around with his passing pretty quickly.

He’s gaining some confidence defensively as well. His skating will always make him a bit of a liability if he’s not perfect with his decision making, but he’s looking good in his most recent call-up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it was @S E P H that mentioned recently how talented he was in the O-zone in junior and we’re seeing glimpses of that of late. He’s got a good slap shot and is zipping the puck around with his passing pretty quickly.

He’s gaining some confidence defensively as well. His skating will always make him a bit of a liability if he’s not perfect with his decision making, but he’s looking good in his most recent call-up.

I don't think he needs to be perfect, but high level decision making is going to be his make or break. I've preached it for a while and we are seeing the difference in his game between his brain clicking and it not clicking.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't think he needs to be perfect, but high level decision making is going to be his make or break. I've preached it for a while and we are seeing the difference in his game between his brain clicking and it not clicking.

Yep. Hockey IQ has always been the most valued asset in Timmins game.

Confidence is a big thing too. He’s trusting his brain and playing more free. Hopefully it continues.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Is this the semi-non fiction biography thread?

Any word on when the "Timmons: My Story" autobiographical thread starts?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

He was a fantastic powerplay QB in his time with the Greyhounds. I don't think he was ever going to make it to the point he was in juniors just because he's playing with way more talented players decreasing his time. However, once he's in his prime he is certainly capable of playing as a secondary PPer. He has great vision, passing ability, and IQ to make a lot of smart smooth plays, one of the problems he faces in the NHL is that he's more of a stationary bloke instead of someone who moves around like Makar/Girard/Barrie do/did. That weakness - due to his skating - could make him a vulnerable target on the counterattack shorthanded, but in the OHL he pretty much schooled teams.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He was a fantastic powerplay QB in his time with the Greyhounds. I don't think he was ever going to make it to the point he was in juniors just because he's playing with way more talented players decreasing his time. However, once he's in his prime he is certainly capable of playing as a secondary PPer. He has great vision, passing ability, and IQ to make a lot of smart smooth plays, one of the problems he faces in the NHL is that he's more of a stationary bloke instead of someone who moves around like Makar/Girard/Barrie do/did. That weakness - due to his skating - could make him a vulnerable target on the counterattack shorthanded, but in the OHL he pretty much schooled teams.

The upside here is that he's a really smart player. I think a lot of it will be his confidence and understanding when he can cheat and be a bit more still, and when he really needs to motor. If he continues to develop, he'd be a great long-term partner for a guy like Bo, who moves around a ton. Just a consistently smart player that can make the smart player more often than not.

That's still a big if, really like what he has shown up to this point on this recent call up. Confidence is so big for these guys, and it's something that we sometimes forget. I work predominantly with chronic pain patients, and it gives you a really strong understanding of how big of an impact the mental/cognitive component has on the physical. I really think most professional athletes should invest in developing a strong relationship with a sports psych to help them with consistency and general mental wellbeing.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I remember the WJC, he was dominating with a big IQ, good vision, and great breakout passes.

One can see he didn’t lose these qualities, he was extremely nervous in the NHL, now he looks over excited, I hope at some point he will calm down, still need to be a little bit more physical, if he succeeds he will be a force with the Avs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The upside here is that he's a really smart player. I think a lot of it will be his confidence and understanding when he can cheat and be a bit more still, and when he really needs to motor. If he continues to develop, he'd be a great long-term partner for a guy like Bo, who moves around a ton. Just a consistently smart player that can make the smart player more often than not.

That's still a big if, really like what he has shown up to this point on this recent call up. Confidence is so big for these guys, and it's something that we sometimes forget. I work predominantly with chronic pain patients, and it gives you a really strong understanding of how big of an impact the mental/cognitive component has on the physical. I really think most professional athletes should invest in developing a strong relationship with a sports psych to help them with consistency and general mental wellbeing.
Agreed, but I am still under the notion that he hasn't really bad that bad this season. He's had some really bad moments don't get me wrong, but akin to Graves he's thrown under the coach (some of that is warranted though). He reminds me a lot of O'Reilly as a defenceman, someone with bad skating but can get around with off the charts anticipation and overall cerebral play. I do buy the fact that I am not sure it will be with us though. I mean I think it would be stupid to trade him at the value he is at now, but I think we're going to see the best of his ability on a team with a different sweater. He might be a player Avs could trade away to recoup a draft pick pick here or there that we got rid of in the next two drafts.

McNab said that Timmins was more hyped than Makar going into the draft. I think that was just McNab being drunk though
I remember that comment and not even close of being correct. After Makar came here for the rookie camp, which he looked like a MacKinnon version of a defender that exploded all the hype with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad