Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
How does it not make a difference where we end up in the standings, of course it does.

Yes we should win any series but still, it would be nice to win the division which is something we haven't done in ages. We've been in first for over 3 months I believe, sliding to second in the last week of the season is not a good way to head into the playoffs.

You kind of just answered your own question. It would be nice. However, ultimately it will make no difference in our cup run. Or even to a lesser degree playoff success in general. Whatever your interpretation of playoff success is. I'm sure this group is really not worried about a division title, they have likely already shifted focus to preparing for the post season. As far as I'm concerned, let EDM waste their energy chasing a banner that does sweet f*** all at the end of it. Use these last 4 games to iron out the kinks and get into a playoff mindset. That alone should be enough to secure a division title. That said, If the results are there, fantastic, if they aren't and we lose the division I won't be upset. I will only be upset after another R1 exit. Post season is long and grueling, take this last week or so to get fully rested and healthy and treat this like a pre-season. Sharpen the saw

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You kind of just answered your own question. It would be nice. However, ultimately it will make no difference in our cup run. Or even to a lesser degree playoff success in general. Whatever your interpretation of playoff success is. I'm sure this group is really not worried about a division title, they have likely already shifted focus to preparing for the post season. As far as I'm concerned, let EDM waste their energy chasing a banner that does sweet f*** all at the end of it. Use these last 4 games to iron out the kinks and get into a playoff mindset. That alone should be enough to secure a division title. That said, If the results are there, fantastic, if they aren't and we lose the division I won't be upset. I will only be upset after another R1 exit. Post season is long and grueling, take this last week or so to get fully rested and healthy and treat this like a pre-season. Sharpen the saw

Maybe, maybe not. I agree that getting rested and healthy etc. is far more important than winning the division. Having said that, it would still not be a positive thing at all to end the season with a slump, you always want to head into the playoffs on a positive note. And total points matter for 3rd round seeding so our results in these last few games aren't completely irrelevant in that sense either.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I get what you're saying, yes, but in the grand scheme of things regular season division wins are meaningless. Nobody will remember that Leafs finished 1st place if they don't make the final 4. I personally don't get any extra thrill out of it. If you finish 1st, you get the Habs or Jets. If you finish 2nd you get the Habs or Jets. What is the difference? You don't get some huge advantage by finishing 1st. But, yes, I want the Leafs to win their remaining regular season games so they can go into the playoffs with some confidence and swagger.
Trust me I will remind every fan from a Canadian team. LOL! It's also just another accomplishment no other Canadian team will be able to duplicate. LOL!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe, maybe not. I agree that getting rested and healthy etc. is far more important than winning the division. Having said that, it would still not be a positive thing at all to end the season with a slump, you always want to head into the playoffs on a positive note. And total points matter for 3rd round seeding so our results in these last few games aren't completely irrelevant in that sense either.
The remaining games aren't irrelevant by any means. I just think some people look at this division title as some sort of validation that we are in fact the best team in the division. As far as I am concerned that was determined 2 months ago. We have a winning record against every team in the division, and we control 70% of the games we play. We haven't capitalized on Vancouver and Ottawa games in the same capacity as the Oilers have, and ultimately that will be the difference maker if they finish higher in the standings. Unfortunately for them, they don't play the Canucks or Sens in the playoffs. I agree, losing out is not something I desire. My point is that I really don't care about a banner. What good is a banner if it is followed by a R1 exit? Preparing and getting into a playoff mindset should be the priority right now. By doing that, it will likely take care of the division title on its own. But I wouldn't even come close to acknowledging it as some sort of success should they win the division, or even making that some sort of goal. The goal is playoff success. Personal records and team records do nothing for me, and really should do nothing for these players at this point.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The remaining games aren't irrelevant by any means. I just think some people look at this division title as some sort of validation that we are in fact the best team in the division. As far as I am concerned that was determined 2 months ago. We have a winning record against every team in the division, and we control 70% of the games we play. We haven't capitalized on Vancouver and Ottawa games in the same capacity as the Oilers have, and ultimately that will be the difference maker if they finish higher in the standings. Unfortunately for them, they don't play the Canucks or Sens in the playoffs. I agree, losing out is not something I desire. My point is that I really don't care about a banner. What good is a banner if it is followed by a R1 exit? Preparing and getting into a playoff mindset should be the priority right now. By doing that, it will likely take care of the division title on its own. But I wouldn't even come close to acknowledging it as some sort of success should they win the division, or even making that some sort of goal. The goal is playoff success. Personal records and team records do nothing for me, and really should do nothing for these players at this point.

I couldn't disagree more. Who the best team is will be decided over the next 6 weeks or so. I'd say that we're the front runners but the race hasn't even started yet.

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Anything less than winning the Canada Cup will be a disappointment.

Definitely hoping for one of TBL/COL/VGK to get knocked out early. Especially Tampa, before Kuch gets up to game speed
Ya, I said the same thing at the beginning of the season. I felt pretty comfortable that we'd end up being on top of the North (Canadian division) at the end of the regular season.

What happens after we get past the 2nd round (assuming that we will get past the 2nd round) and start to hit the top teams from different divisions is a different animal though. VGK, TBL, Colorado and Carolina are all pretty good teams, and there might be even a team or two in the East that could be good in the playoffs (Washington or Pittsburgh maybe).

But, I would consider getting past the 2nd round (and Canadian division) as the floor (lowest) reasonable expectation this year. Anything less than that I'd think would (or should) be considered a disappointment especially at this stage i.e., 5 years since drafting the 1st overall pick.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I couldn't disagree more. Who the best team is will be decided over the next 6 weeks or so. I'd say that we're the front runners but the race hasn't even started yet.

Yup, I agree with this. The best team will be decided by whoever comes out of the division in the post season. And since the regular season Division Title does not impact that outcome, I really don't care about it. Nor should they. Any team that celebrates division titles are losers IMO. That's not an accomplishment. What good did the Presidents trophy do the lightning a couple years back? Getting swept R1 by CBJ was the storyline I remember. what about these former Presidents trophy winners:

2008-09 San Jose Sharks (lost in 6 to the Ducks R1)
2009-10 Washington Capitals (lost in 7 to MTL R1)
2011-12 Vancouver Canucks (lost in 5 to LAK R1)

I remember all of those teams "felt good" going into the playoffs. And felt good about their titles that they won in the regular season. Didn't seem to help in the post season.

People need to stop viewing the division title as a goal. Our matchup is not much different between MTL and WPG. They are both teams that can upset us. They need to focus on preparing for battle, and getting out of the north. Until then, nothing else should be the focus and nothing else should be celebrated

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As well, whoever were to overcome the Leafs and take first will have that momentum heading into the playoffs.
Finishing first would have been an organizational goal to start the season. It’s always good to meet your goals.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Blah blah blah
Yadda yadda yadda
Winning division title , couldn’t care less !
First place , couldn’t care less
Presidents trophy lololol
Hurt couldn’t care less
Who’s in ? Who’s out ? Couldn’t care less
Is it better this way or that ? Couldn’t care less
Momentum?
Etc etc etc
Sports are littered with predictions , statistics , history , etc on the “ winning formula “ going into the playoffs and also littered with the downside and opposite of each and every take
You know what ?
upload_2021-5-5_8-55-17.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yup, I agree with this. The best team will be decided by whoever comes out of the division in the post season. And since the regular season Division Title does not impact that outcome, I really don't care about it. Nor should they. Any team that celebrates division titles are losers IMO. That's not an accomplishment. What good did the Presidents trophy do the lightning a couple years back? Getting swept R1 by CBJ was the storyline I remember. what about these former Presidents trophy winners:

2008-09 San Jose Sharks (lost in 6 to the Ducks R1)
2009-10 Washington Capitals (lost in 7 to MTL R1)
2011-12 Vancouver Canucks (lost in 5 to LAK R1)

I remember all of those teams "felt good" going into the playoffs. And felt good about their titles that they won in the regular season. Didn't seem to help in the post season.

People need to stop viewing the division title as a goal. Our matchup is not much different between MTL and WPG. They are both teams that can upset us. They need to focus on preparing for battle, and getting out of the north. Until then, nothing else should be the focus and nothing else should be celebrated

I think most of us would agree that winning the division should not be a goal. That said, 3rd round seeding isn't irrelevant. And while not finishing the season on a down note is no guarantee of playoff success, it doesn't hurt either.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think most of us would agree that winning the division should not be a goal. That said, 3rd round seeding isn't irrelevant. And while not finishing the season on a down note is no guarantee of playoff success, it doesn't hurt either.
Ya for sure. Ideally I'd like to see the same strong finish as those who want that division title. But my reasoning is not for the banner. I want them to be as ready for playoff action as possible. I'll be looking for effort level and intensity. Cleaning up those little details that can cost you games in the playoffs. If they do that, the division title is all but an inevitability IMO. Again, not something I'd make a point of trying to get if I'm Sheldon, but it will be the byproduct of playing the right way over the next 4 games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya for sure. Ideally I'd like to see the same strong finish as those who want that division title. But my reasoning is not for the banner. I want them to be as ready for playoff action as possible. I'll be looking for effort level and intensity. Cleaning up those little details that can cost you games in the playoffs. If they do that, the division title is all but an inevitability IMO. Again, not something I'd make a point of trying to get if I'm Sheldon, but it will be the byproduct of playing the right way over the next 4 games.

Agreed.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I want Montreal.

A healthy jets team is scarier than a healthy Montreal team.

And I'd assume Jets and oils will beat the crap outta eachother.
Such a toss up for me. I think MTL has the ability to play a shut down system that can really limit our HDCF. And although they don't generate much themselves, it puts a higher priority on goaltending. Something we have not gotten consistently. We still matchup favorably but one thing jumped out at me today that changed my opinion on who I'd rather face was 5v5 stats against us. Reason being, the post season is always more tight checking and less calls are made. Making it more of a 5v5 game.

North Division Advanced Stats 5v5 vs. Toronto

xGF%
upload_2021-5-5_9-54-14.png

HDCF%
upload_2021-5-5_9-58-8.png

we match up considerably better against WPG 5v5 than I thought originally. We actually gave up 2 less HDC overall to WPG in 1 extra GP in comparison to MTL. Plain and simple, they give up more and generate less at 5v5. It really comes down to them needing spectacular goaltending, or us getting below average goaltending. Truth be told we lose to most teams with below average goaltending though. SO if it comes down to us receiving poor goaltending, which is likely our biggest vulnerability, I'd rather play the team that allows more chances to make up for the poor tending. The jets are a defensive mess. I think we can really exploit that. If you look at their stats against other opponents as well, it is a bit of a mystery as to how they are even in a playoff picture TBH. In fact every team in the division has a higher HDCF% at 5v5 over the course of the season when playing against them. And only OTT has less of the majority xGF% at 5v5 against them. Albeit marginally at 49.26%

I think we shit kick WPG personally

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-5_9-57-0.png
    upload_2021-5-5_9-57-0.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Brown Dog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Scoreboard check before calling it a night. MTL lost and WGP up 2-0 in the 2nd, be still my heart. Go Jets Go!!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I mean they're on a 5-0-1 run so they kinda are finishing strong.

Reactions: Menzinger

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Want Habs for so many reasons, mainly, it’ll just be so long coming for a great rivalry. A shame there’ll be nobody in the stands for this one. The arenas would be literally heaving.

Hellebuyck just tossed a 32 save shutout into the mix. Don’t want to face mr Vezina when he is getting hot.

Habs might have Gallagher back for playoffs and Price. Those two could make a huge difference.

So just have to be confident what we are.

Here’s another decent article from Luke Fox about the lineup.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Want Habs for so many reasons, mainly, it’ll just be so long coming for a great rivalry. A shame there’ll be nobody in the stands for this one. The arenas would be literally heaving.

Hellebuyck just tossed a 32 save shutout into the mix. Don’t want to face mr Vezina when he is getting hot.

Habs might have Gallagher back for playoffs and Price. Those two could make a huge difference.

I like the lineup that they have in that article and I think that's what they go with.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Well then, you better be hoping we win the division.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
First round officiating is always wildly inconsistent across series with some being called by the book, even more than the regular season, and others having the whistles put away. By the time the second round rolls around it usually evens out.

If we end up in a no rules series with Montreal we will be in tough, not because they are some big tough team that will push us around, but because suddenly their slow, plodding, trees on Defense will look great if they are allowed to hook and hold.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I would be shocked if we don't make a legit push for the cup. Many people say the North is the weakest division in hockey. I watched the Rangers/Caps game last night, aside from the fighting, it was an extremely boring unstructured game. Wash is supposed to be one of the best team in their division, they looked more like a team that was a bottom dweller in the North, same for the Minny game I watched, seems like there was no purpose in that game.

Purposely I watched a lot of US teams over the last few weeks. There isn't really a team that scare me a lot. There are plenty of skilled teams, with plenty of high end players but not one team looks like they are easily better than the Leafs. Lots of good teams in the NHL this year but not one really dominate steamroller team. I think the Leafs are as good or at least competitive with any team in the league. Florida and Carolina looked good to come out of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad