Time To Talk About TJ Brodie

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
You mean other than:

- a defenseman who excels at stretch passing being forced to make exclusively 5-8 foot passes
- a defenseman who is strong at puck rushing being forced to trail the play
- a defenseman who thrives on offensive zone creativity being forced to play a system in which defensemen hang back at the blue line waiting to one-touch shoot the puck through traffic every touch they get
- a defenseman who is a far better passer than shooter being partnered with our worst shooting defenseman
- a defenseman who, as Bob Hartley stated described as being "probably, with Crosby, the two best guys to pass on the backhand in the league. Look at his backhand pass — I think he passes harder on the backhand than on his forehand. … There’s not too many defencemen that would even dare going through the neutral zone, side-to-side, on a backhand pass. And he does, and the passes are always right on the stick.” placed on primarily his forehand side as a left defenseman.
- a defenseman who plays pretty conservative at his blue line where he is more of an asset covering the rush while his partner plays aggressive getting partnered with a stay at home partner who doesn't or can't jump into the play
- a defenseman who likes to play rover down low playing in a system where forwards are not expected to cover the point when their Dman jumps up

Well geez, nothing at all.

Not to mention I've seen Brodie literally shoot right with his backhand and completely fool opposition, something that I doubt even Crosby can pull off.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think much of what many notice in regards to TJ is the end result of the toxic situation created by bringing in Hamilton. It is easy to track numbers and if you look back Gio has never been as productive as the time he was with TJ. Numbers do not show what happens when you introduce toxic situations. Brodie like any employee likely felt betrayed despite being a loyal soldier that worked for what he had achieved and took a discounted salary to show his loyalty. Meanwhile this prima donna was brought in and did little to none of the work, had less skill and yet was rewarded handsomely. In any workplace this would cause issues and when you are talking about a league where talent is separated by thin lines like confidence and positive self imaging the ramifications are multiplied 10 fold.

I don't think many fans realize how minuscule the difference in physical talent is from player to player in the NHL. This is how sure picks turn into Nail Yakupov. The largest discrepancies between stars and NHL regulars is in the intangibles. Hockey IQ, work ethic, self-improvement and so on.

@Johnny Hoxville in my life the largest failures in life almost always lead to the best success stories. I believe this shows Tre follows that mantra where he is able to flip the script and adapt better than almost any GM in the league. He has taken the initial vision from a big heavy team to a team that plays a fast finesse game. He turned the belief of being a great defensive club to being a great puck moving club. The most impressive thing about BT is how he thinks outside the box and studies the trends affecting the game.
If anything you’re speculating is even remotely close to true, which I don’t think it is, then Brodie’s pouting would be just as much a root cause, if not more, to a toxic situation, than “gifting” Hamilton top line minutes. Regular people are asked to work outside their comfort zone everyday. Whether it’s to shore up a faultering division or work directly with struggling coworkers. While we may not like it and production may take a slight dip, it doesn’t mean all aspects, of an everyday persons job would ever reach dumpster fire levels. I just don’t buy it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Time for a walk down Last Spring road.

1. Brad questions the leadership, work ethic and desire on the team and that personnel changes will need to be made. (Only Ferland and Hamilton were moved.)
  2. “Number 1, it certainly wasn’t good enough. I put myself squarely out front of everything. I put everything in place here,” said Treliving, who signed a contract extension last summer and is in no danger of being a fall guy in all this. (Brad admitting he made mistakes. Buys out Brouwer and trades Hamilton)
    “Sometimes the best laid plans don’t work. But you better first look at the job you did, and didn’t do, and everything spurns from there.”(Brad admitting he made mistakes. Buys out Brouwer and trades Hamilton)
    The hallmark of his club this year revolved around never being able to rise to the occasion, and failing when the spotlight was the brightest. (
    Hamilton's engagement and commitment to team has been questioned in Calgary and Boston and now in Carolina.)
    Treliving plans to delve deeply into those games and discern which players failed to aid the cause. (Brouwer and Hamilton were the only big names moved out.)
    “When it matters the most, who rises and who doesn’t?” he said. “I do believe it’s at the heart of correcting it. That’s how we can start to figure out how to fix it.”

3. Boomer, Warner, Steinberg and a few other beat writers eluded after the trade that Dougie demanded to play with Gio and when he was played on other pairing partners did not come out to play.
  4. Out came the story about the museum analogy by the same group where Dougie was not willing to be part of the team.
  5. Tre acknowledged in an interview that "certain" players were showcased in the most positive light possible to facilitate the best return. AKA Hamilton being gifted first pairing minutes for the last season and a half in Calgary. Tre being the professional he is never to throw shade directly on any players but looking back it is not hard to figure out who he was referring to.
Regular people are asked to work outside their comfort zone everyday.

Yes but they don't stay when they are demoted... It would be like a senior architect being busted down to a junior, a doctor to an intern, or a project leader to subservient. The most likely option for these skilled professions is for them to be transferred (Traded) or fired.

I have seen numerous Oil exec's passed over much more disgruntled than TJ ever was. To TJ's credit he said little of the position he was thrust in.

Lastly Tre made a point after the trade to tell us and TJ he was Calgary's first pairing RD. This shows BT knew how the past events played out and that he owed TJ job security and confidence moving forward.

So you can call it speculation but it is speculation with supporting evidence.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Time for a walk down Last Spring road.

1. Brad questions the leadership, work ethic and desire on the team and that personnel changes will need to be made. (Only Ferland and Hamilton were moved.)
  2. “Number 1, it certainly wasn’t good enough. I put myself squarely out front of everything. I put everything in place here,” said Treliving, who signed a contract extension last summer and is in no danger of being a fall guy in all this. (Brad admitting he made mistakes. Buys out Brouwer and trades Hamilton)
    “Sometimes the best laid plans don’t work. But you better first look at the job you did, and didn’t do, and everything spurns from there.”(Brad admitting he made mistakes. Buys out Brouwer and trades Hamilton)
    The hallmark of his club this year revolved around never being able to rise to the occasion, and failing when the spotlight was the brightest. (
    Hamilton's engagement and commitment to team has been questioned in Calgary and Boston and now in Carolina.)
    Treliving plans to delve deeply into those games and discern which players failed to aid the cause. (Brouwer and Hamilton were the only big names moved out.)
    “When it matters the most, who rises and who doesn’t?” he said. “I do believe it’s at the heart of correcting it. That’s how we can start to figure out how to fix it.”

3. Boomer, Warner, Steinberg and a few other beat writers eluded after the trade that Dougie demanded to play with Gio and when he was played on other pairing partners did not come out to play.
  4. Out came the story about the museum analogy by the same group where Dougie was not willing to be part of the team.
  5. Tre acknowledged in an interview that "certain" players were showcased in the most positive light possible to facilitate the best return. AKA Hamilton being gifted first pairing minutes for the last season and a half in Calgary. Tre being the professional he is never to throw shade directly on any players but looking back it is not hard to figure out who he was referring to.

Yes but they don't stay when they are demoted... It would be like a senior architect being busted down to a junior, a doctor to an intern, or a project leader to subservient. The most likely option for these skilled professions is for them to be transferred (Traded) or fired.

I have seen numerous Oil exec's passed over much more disgruntled than TJ ever was. To TJ's credit he said little of the position he was thrust in.

Lastly Tre made a point after the trade to tell us and TJ he was Calgary's first pairing RD. This shows BT knew how the past events played out and that he owed TJ job security and confidence moving forward.

So you can call it speculation but it is speculation with supporting evidence.
It’s probably worth noting that TJ-Hamonic was the top pairing to start the season. I see it as an opportunity given and squandered due to the inability to lead a pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad