Time to Start Stalock

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Stalock hasn't just had the easy teams. From the top of my head he has played some of the harder teams - getting starts against the Hawks (and winning) as well as other playoff bound teams.

8 starts against playoff teams, 10 against non-playoff teams. 44%

Nemo had 34 starts against playoff teams vs 30 against non playoff teams. 54%

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If he played better, he would've gotten his chance to start.

Can we really say that Stalock has had a chance to start either? Stalock is certainly playing better than Greiss did in his time here but both could have taken the starting position if they were given the opportunity to do so. Neither have and I would not let one game six possible start for Stalock be called that opportunity either.

The response was to a comment saying that nobody had played well enough to take over the starting job. Greiss could have if given the opportunity and he never was given that. Stalock has yet to be given that either and he's played about as well as you can expect.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Greiss just cost Phoenix a playoff spot, I highly doubt he would fare any better if he was still here.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Can we really say that Stalock has had a chance to start either? Stalock is certainly playing better than Greiss did in his time here but both could have taken the starting position if they were given the opportunity to do so. Neither have and I would not let one game six possible start for Stalock be called that opportunity either.

The response was to a comment saying that nobody had played well enough to take over the starting job. Greiss could have if given the opportunity and he never was given that. Stalock has yet to be given that either and he's played about as well as you can expect.

Stalock's also getting a **** ton more lip service from almost everybody close to the team than Greiss ever did. Lip service may mean close to nothing but it does show that they view Stalock in a favorable light.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Stalock's also getting a **** ton more lip service from almost everybody close to the team than Greiss ever did. Lip service may mean close to nothing but it does show that they view Stalock in a favorable light.

And at one point, they were going to go with Greiss-Niittymaki for their season and that changed mighty quickly. I don't doubt that they value Stalock more than Greiss. I'm just saying that the thought that they didn't have anyone that could've taken over the starting duties until Stalock came around isn't really accurate. That doesn't mean I'm saying Greiss and Stalock are equals. Just that both could have done it under the right circumstances.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree that it was time to start Stalock. But what if they lose tonight (and Stalock plays poorly)? Do they go back to Niemi for Game 7? His confidence might be down the drain. Or, do they go back to Stalock coming off a poor game? I hope it doesn't get to this point, but it is a fair question.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree that it was time to start Stalock. But what if they lose tonight (and Stalock plays poorly)? Do they go back to Niemi for Game 7? His confidence might be down the drain. Or, do they go back to Stalock coming off a poor game? I hope it doesn't get to this point, but it is a fair question.

You cross that bridge if you come to it. They have to get through this game first. Either way you want to look at it, as bad as Niemi has looked, they didn't lose because of him. They lost game 5 because they didn't show up to play and they lost game four because their execution was God awful.

But Stalock probably gives the Sharks the best chance at having a goalie steal a game in this series.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Greiss just cost Phoenix a playoff spot, I highly doubt he would fare any better if he was still here.

Phoenix lost 6 games in a row where they scored a total of 7 goals. But in your mind, that is the goalie's fault . . . Really. Greiss was almost exactly on a 2.00 GAA in the last 10 games of the season. There are a lot of Sharks fans that would be ecstatic if Nemo was doing that right now. At the outset of the season Smith was stinking it up and Greiss bailed him out to some extent. In a sense, they were close because of Greiss.

For others,
In terms of qualcomp for backup goalies, Stalock was up there with guys like Talbot. Julien does the soft competition thing for his backup like no other; that didn't happen in SJ.

WestCoast

Oct 25, 2006
I think this is where Stalock becomes the future and secures second round passage with a great game. (hopefully)

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I think this is where Stalock becomes the future and secures second round passage with a great game. (hopefully)

Agree 100%.

Glad to say I have been waiting for this day . Stalock's stick play will keep LA's forecheck at bay. Big win for the Sharks today. 3-2 will do.

Jul 10, 2010
I think the bigger question is if they win who starts game 1 in anahiem

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I think the bigger question is if they win who starts game 1 in anahiem

We're getting ahead of things but... I think it's easy. Stalock.

Sharks would be underdogs so if they lose game 1, no big deal. If the loss is close, maybe go with Stalock again in game 2. If Stalock's bad, then go to Niemi.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Have to go with Stalock bc they still can start Neemo again in game 7 if they lose. But are they really gonna start Stalock in a game 7 if it comes to that?

Good move by Tmac.

Sharkalchemy

Oct 1, 2009
The Tank, San Jose
Thomas Greiss could have if he was given a legitimate opportunity.

I tend to agree with this and I'll never forget how Greiss outplayed Nabakov during the '12 Olympics but getting essentially no chance from Tmac afterward.

Perhaps the coach has learned something. Plus, Stalock is way better than Greiss.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well apparently stalock wasn't the savior of the sharks. So will the niemi haters final realize this series that went from sweep to game 7 was not niemi's fault but the morons in front of him.

Stalock didn't play bad either, but he still let in 3 back breaking goals within a 5 minute span.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad