Time to Start Stalock

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Niemi hasn't been playing well this season, while Stalock, though inexperienced, has. Many of you talked about starting Niemi game one but keeping him on a short leash. Well after 4 games he is at a 3.45 GAA and a sv% of .889. That has been good enough so far this series with the Sharks scoring so many goals, but that won't be good enough to win a cup with. He has just been playing bad.

With the Sharks still in good position to win this series, I say start Stalock game 5. If there was ever a time to see how Stalock could respond to the extra pressure of playoff hockey, making the first game a home game while up 3-1 in a series sounds like the safest time to do so. Much better to start getting him used to playoff atmosphere and see how he does now than to wait until we are down 2-0 or 3-0 in a series when the goals dry up and Niemi keeps letting 3+ goals a game in.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If you go through all the goals that he's let in and take out all the lucky bounces, what would his save percentage be?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
If you go through all the goals that he's let in and take out all the lucky bounces, what would his save percentage be?
You can play that game with any goalie.

He needs to stop some of the "lucky" goals. That is the measure of starter versus an also ran. How many does he stop?

I don't think TM will yank Nemo for game 5. But, if Nemo plays game 5 like he did game 4, I would expect TM to shift to Stalock.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I was a huge advocate of starting Stalock because of his puck skills and ability to be a 3rd dman as the kings dump and chase down the puck - but Niemi has been fine. Suggesting its "time to start Stalock" now is probably the dumbest thing a coach would do with their #1. hense why we didn't see Jones in net last night.

Nope, sorry. This is not the right time.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
IF he gets pulled again in game 5, I believe thats the only way we see Stalock. Hope game 3 Niemi shows up

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was a supporter of starting Stalock in game 1. I'm not a supporter of making a goalie switch for game 5. When looking to make a switch for the playoffs, you can't look at the small sample size of these four games. You have to look at the goals given up and who is responsible for them. The other thing to consider is whether Niemi has pulled his weight enough when called upon.

The reality is that the Sharks don't win game three without Niemi's play in OT. He stepped up big there. And if he doesn't stop Jeff Carter on that first shift breakaway in game 1, we could be looking at 3-1 the other way.

Really, this call for a switch is due to the loss last night, plain and simple. Nemo could definitely be better especially on the first two goals against. But now isn't the time to make the switch because the play in front of him was very poor. The turnovers and blown coverages are more important things to worry about over the goalie's play. As much as I like Stalock, game 5 isn't his start and we all know that and it's the right decision. Niemi's done enough in the first three games to help the team win to give him the benefit of the doubt and the start for game 5. If he lays an egg then you can start Stalock for game 6. I doubt that will happen. The Sharks with the last change and some cleanup work in their own zone will win game 5.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I was a supporter of starting Stalock in game 1. I'm not a supporter of making a goalie switch for game 5. When looking to make a switch for the playoffs, you can't look at the small sample size of these four games. You have to look at the goals given up and who is responsible for them. The other thing to consider is whether Niemi has pulled his weight enough when called upon.

The reality is that the Sharks don't win game three without Niemi's play in OT. He stepped up big there. And if he doesn't stop Jeff Carter on that first shift breakaway in game 1, we could be looking at 3-1 the other way.

Really, this call for a switch is due to the loss last night, plain and simple. Nemo could definitely be better especially on the first two goals against. But now isn't the time to make the switch because the play in front of him was very poor. The turnovers and blown coverages are more important things to worry about over the goalie's play. As much as I like Stalock, game 5 isn't his start and we all know that and it's the right decision. Niemi's done enough in the first three games to help the team win to give him the benefit of the doubt and the start for game 5. If he lays an egg then you can start Stalock for game 6. I doubt that will happen. The Sharks with the last change and some cleanup work in their own zone will win game 5.

Well put. I haven't agreed with you any more than I have since these playoffs have begun. Pretty much right on about everything you've said, IMO. :yo:

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
That's like saying you are going to Bench Fleury on the Pens cause of his UH-OH moments in game 4, come game 5.

You stay with who got you there etc. Then if next game you Umpfh it up and it's bad, then switch.

As much as I do not like Niemi (at times), he'll rebound.

fRESH88

Sep 26, 2011
1 bad game (and it was mostly defense fault for his bad game) and you wanna bench him? LOL...some strong GM's we have in this thread.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Really, this call for a switch is due to the loss last night, plain and simple.

The loss last night has nothing to do with it. His 5 goals given up is a part of it though. If the Sharks ended up winning the game it wouldn't have changed that, which is my point. The Sharks are winning games, but imo, Niemi still hasn't been playing well.

Niemi has been inconsistent and playing below expectations all season, and so far this post season hasn't been any different.

From my perspective goaltending is still the Sharks weakest point. If any offensive line wasn't playing well, or any D pairing wasn't playing well, they wouldn't be just satisfied with getting wins, they would try to address that issue and get all aspects of the game performing as well as possible. Similarly, with goaltending, despite getting wins right now, Niemi isn't performing well and the Sharks should address that weak point now, try to improve in that position, and not wait until they are falling behind in a series and have dug themselves into a hole too deep to get out of. Shouldn't be dedicated to a guy who hasn't been playing well all season just because he "is the starter" when there is a backup who has been playing great and currently just sitting on the bench. Better to find out if Stalock could be the guy in the playoffs while they are ahead instead of waiting until they are behind.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA

Agreed. You go with the goalie who gives you the best chance to win.....either go with the goalie you believe is better overall, or you go with the goalie you believe would be better right now.

After an entire 82-game regular season, the Sharks have deemed that Niemi is the better goalie.

Over a 4-game sample, Niemi has not played particularly poorly. He hasn't been great, but he hasn't been awful either.

To take away Niemi's starting job simply because he lost is foolish, no way to run a hockey team, and only serves to undermine the confidence of both goaltenders.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
The Sharks DEFENSE is the problem more than Nemo. Let's put the blame where it belongs and stop needlessly calling for a benching of the goalie who stole us game 3 and kept us in games 1 and 2. He's raised his game in the playoffs and is doing better than the goalie across the rink. What more do we want?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The loss last night has nothing to do with it. His 5 goals given up is a part of it though. If the Sharks ended up winning the game it wouldn't have changed that, which is my point. The Sharks are winning games, but imo, Niemi still hasn't been playing well.

Niemi has been inconsistent and playing below expectations all season, and so far this post season hasn't been any different.

From my perspective goaltending is still the Sharks weakest point. If any offensive line wasn't playing well, or any D pairing wasn't playing well, they wouldn't be just satisfied with getting wins, they would try to address that issue and get all aspects of the game performing as well as possible. Similarly, with goaltending, despite getting wins right now, Niemi isn't performing well and the Sharks should address that weak point now, try to improve in that position, and not wait until they are falling behind in a series and have dug themselves into a hole too deep to get out of. Shouldn't be dedicated to a guy who hasn't been playing well all season just because he "is the starter" when there is a backup who has been playing great and currently just sitting on the bench. Better to find out if Stalock could be the guy in the playoffs while they are ahead instead of waiting until they are behind.

The loss last night has everything to do with it. There was no thread to start Stalock after the first three games. If the Sharks ended up winning, this thread wouldn't be here now. Nobody would've said anything until they found out who they played and then posed it as a possibility.

The premise for deciding on who starts for the Sharks will come down to whether or not Niemi has done enough to keep his spot. You can bet your bottom dollar that the coaching staff will say yes based on what he did to help the team win the first three games.

If what you said in the last bit was true, they wouldn't have even started Niemi in the playoffs. Goalie standards on this team is not the same as the skaters and they're not comparable due to the nature of the position. The coaching staff only cares if Niemi gives them a chance to win and thus far he has. The coaching staff has already pretty much said that the play in front of Niemi is more their focus than Niemi himself. That's a good tell right there that Niemi is going to start the next game.

They've already gotten a little taste of whether Stalock can be the guy in the playoffs. I'm sure if Niemi has a poor performance, they will make the switch. But they're not going to make the switch after one game where he wasn't good yet they don't really blame him for it.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area

So....last night's game DOES have something to do with it, and not nothing to do with it?

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
also another factor, if your Offense can't score any goals to help you out!

(ok pretty much end of 2nd and into the 3rd).

I mean I would've been happy with a 2-2 tie going into the 3rd. but alas we know what happened.

plus all games are not going to be perfect. It just sucks that it had to be an elimination game to not be perfect.

And yes we got some odd bounces Game 3 but he'll I'll take it. Just like the Kings did last night. Now get on your home ice and seal the deal.

No matter if Niemi in net or not (yes we all know he will be in).

Hence this thread is loco!

MrCowGod15

Feb 6, 2007
Switch the D before switching Nemo. The majority of goals against during this series has been the result of terribad defense. Nemo's been stellar (except for a couple of goals last night) during this whole series, something I was not expecting one bit.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've been a proponent of Stalock starting, but I'm not sure if you can do it now. Niemi brought the team here, and he deserves to carry the team as best as he can, especially in Game 5. I look at this similarly as I looked at Quick for Game 3. Game 3 was in LA, you give your star goaltender a shot. Here, Game 5 is in San Jose and Niemi has to be your guy. Now if Niemi get's lit up, than maybe you might go to Stalock in Game 6, but nows not a good time for a goalie controversy.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You mean the "CAGE" as Sutter put it?:laugh:

Its really weird how the psychology of sports operates. The Sharks on the road are still quite formidable but man at home, its like they feed off the frenzy of the crowd like ancient Rome and it creates a chaotic atmosphere that suits how the Sharks want to play.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Its really weird how the psychology of sports operates. The Sharks on the road are still quite formidable but man at home, its like they feed off the frenzy of the crowd like ancient Rome and it creates a chaotic atmosphere that suits how the Sharks want to play.
TM gets his matchups at home. He is more willing to roll 4 when he can dictate easy for the lower lines. Check lower line minutes on home versus road in close games.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I've been a proponent of Stalock starting, but I'm not sure if you can do it now. Niemi brought the team here, and he deserves to carry the team as best as he can, especially in Game 5. I look at this similarly as I looked at Quick for Game 3. Game 3 was in LA, you give your star goaltender a shot. Here, Game 5 is in San Jose and Niemi has to be your guy. Now if Niemi get's lit up, than maybe you might go to Stalock in Game 6, but nows not a good time for a goalie controversy.

Absolutely. Very well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad