Time to sign Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
RFAs are practically NEVER signed before their contract is up because the player wants to prove himself before committing to a deal, and the team wants to make sure the player will pan out.

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
I can see Galchenyuk and Gallagher getting extensions during the year, depending on how they play. They'll both be bridge deals. Tinordi and Beaulieu will get extension at the end of the year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Il predict and say Galchenyuk will have a similar break out season like Ryan Johansen but not quite as many points and will sign a long term deal in the off season. 5+ years

After the Subban bridge, you better be damn sure all of our players will go through the same process.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
All are going to get 2 year bridge deals, not sure for how much. Maybe the Gally's get deals at the end of the summer, but no way Tinordi or Beaulieu are getting deals before next offseason.

Most likely, which is beyond stupid btw, then we have to give them all the big pay payday at once, and if one like Gally really shines as we all hope he will, we won't be able to keep them all. Locking one or two up long term after their ELC would be the wise move.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Most likely, which is beyond stupid btw, then we have give them all the big pay payday at once, and if one like Gally really shines as we all hope he will, we won't be able to keep them all. Locking one of two up long term after their ELC would be the wise move.

Not worried about this happening at all. Other contracts will be off the books by then, the cap will go up and I don't see any of these guys making Subban-type money in their post-bridge contract.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Not worried about this happening at all. Other contracts will be off the books by then, the cap will go up and I don't see any of these guys making Subban-type money in their post-bridge contract.

Gally, could be every bit as valuable as Subban was post ELC.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Gally, could be every bit as valuable as Subban was post ELC.

For those Hab fans that witnessed the growing pains of Guy Lafleur, who was a center in junior and a RW as a Hab. He was drafted at 20 yrs. old and took 3 yrs, as a Hab before his breakout season in his 4th year scoring 53 goals and 119 points. It's not that difficult too imagine Galchenyuk having a breakout season like that in two seasons, he would only be 22yrs. old in two seasons, his 4th as a Hab. The NHL has more parity now than in the early 70's, so expecting about 75 pts would probably be comparable to players getting over 100 points then. Still very good #'s for any player in this age, Ryan Johansson scored 63 points in his 3rd season at 21 for CBJ's and is considered a star in the making. Imagine his output given another two seasons about even with Lafleur at the same age isn't out of the question.

Athlete's in this era don't smoke like Guy did, their workouts are regimented, players now are in much greater condition, IMHO.:nod:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So all these guys are going to be RFA in 2015.

Should we try to sign some of them now?

I know that this is used for more important contracts.
I guess Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi do not fit in that scheme.

But question is pertinent for Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

Why? Let them do it another year

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The great majority of his salary is in the form of bonuses. Not sure how much he's actually collected.

As of last year, he collected zero in bonuses. Don't know what this year will bring.

His salary taken home, and cap hit the last two years, is $925,000.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Michel gets ****ing 4 years before entering his last year but the young players can suck a pickle and wait after the season.

Matter of fact UFAs can wait as well. (Markov and Weaver well documented last minute offers.)

-MB logic.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Michel gets ****ing 4 years before entering his last year but the young players can suck a pickle and wait after the season.

Matter of fact UFAs can wait as well. (Markov and Weaver well documented last minute offers.)

-MB logic.

All in all, I think MB did much more good than bad with this team. And it's hard to deny the results. But yes, the logic is far from flawless in some cases.

A diminutive forward is on the market when we need to get bigger? 2 years, 4M per, no problem!

One of our dman is not even back on the ice from a very important surgical procedure, extend him 4 years with a generous 4.1M per.

Young star dman just out of his ELC? Cheap bridge deal, team policy. Then wait and wait and wait before signing him long-term. Even though he's your only award winning guy on the team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this "team policy" suddenly doesn't apply to everyone. Just, you know, because.

After their ELCs ended, a usually 2 or sometimes 3 year bridge contract ending while still in the RFA years applied to Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek, A. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Gorges, O'Byrne, Halak, Price, Pacioretty, Eller, and of course Subban. There is not one player in Habs history since the 2004 lockout that has had a 4-year or longer deal come immediately after his ELC ended.

Aside from the above people, other lesser names had one-year, one-way extensions, such as Perezhogin, Latendresse, Chipchura, Pyatt, White, and Desharnais.

Finally, some players got only two-way contracts even after their ELC such as D'Agostini, Dumont and many other lesser lights.

Your post seems to imply that the Subban bridge deal was unusual but it was absolutely normal for the Habs.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Your post seems to imply that the Subban bridge deal was unusual but it was absolutely normal for the Habs.

Don't get me wrong. I know that cheap bridge deals are common. And for a lot of players, it does make sense. Like Plekanec when he was coming off a so-so season. Same with Price. Take a bridge deal and sign a better deal later.

It just happens that the term "team policy" was brought forward only for PK Subban, because everybody knew the money was ridiculous and he was not coming off a so-so season at all.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If Galch takes that next step this season, I can see him getting a long term deal.

Gally will probably get 3-4 years, maybe that MBesque 4 years 14 million.

Tinordi hasn't earned a one way deal yet.

Beaulieu will likely get a 2 year bridge deal.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why in the world, in a big debate about bridge deals and all involving PK, is that thread still open? Some people really think that Bergevin won't do it to those guys?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
For those Hab fans that witnessed the growing pains of Guy Lafleur, who was a center in junior and a RW as a Hab. He was drafted at 20 yrs. old and took 3 yrs, as a Hab before his breakout season in his 4th year scoring 53 goals and 119 points. It's not that difficult too imagine Galchenyuk having a breakout season like that in two seasons, he would only be 22yrs. old in two seasons, his 4th as a Hab. The NHL has more parity now than in the early 70's, so expecting about 75 pts would probably be comparable to players getting over 100 points then. Still very good #'s for any player in this age, Ryan Johansson scored 63 points in his 3rd season at 21 for CBJ's and is considered a star in the making. Imagine his output given another two seasons about even with Lafleur at the same age isn't out of the question.

Athlete's in this era don't smoke like Guy did, their workouts are regimented, players now are in much greater condition, IMHO.:nod:

True, said almost no one on these boards.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
If we can get any of these guys signed this summer, then definitely do it. If we get them locked up early and someone has a big breakout season, MB looks like a genius and we get them on a bargain. I doubt most of these guys would be willing to talk contract this early in an attempt to raise their play this coming season and show that they're worth as much money as possible. I think we'd have the best chance at signing Gallagher early.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Personally I'd wait, guys like Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi can wait. These guys might not play the entire season here. Why rush to give them that long term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad