Time to play the game of "Really? Be honest!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wonder if that was at least in part because of the team's constant underachievement? It seemed like just as the city was getting excited about the team at playoff time, they would squander a series lead to Edmonton and Vancouver and crap out in the first round again, followed by losing a couple of key free agents in the off-season and missing the playoffs the year after.

Had the Jets managed even one decent playoff run in their last six or seven years I'm sure the city would have really rallied behind the team a lot more than it did. In some ways, watching the Jets of the early-mid 90s felt like watching an IHL team with a bunch of journeymen, old vets and handful of up and comers mixed together.

But that's kind of the problem isn't it? A team can't survive long term without fans that are dedicated to the team through thick and thin. The Jets 1.0 like myself and others have said, had plenty of fans, but they also had plenty of fans who thought of the Jets as their "B" team (like many on this thread).

We need to have Winnipeggers thinking of the Jets 2.0 as their "A" team. At multiple points in our history, we are going to go through rebuilding years where we lose a lot more than we win. We can't have everyone abandoning the team and going to cheer for the Leafs or Habs because those are their "real" favorite teams.

shtinky

Jun 27, 2011
Winnipeg
But that's kind of the problem isn't it? A team can't survive long term without fans that are dedicated to the team through thick and thin. The Jets 1.0 like myself and others have said, had plenty of fans, but they also had plenty of fans who thought of the Jets as their "B" team (like many on this thread).

We need to have Winnipeggers thinking of the Jets 2.0 as their "A" team. At multiple points in our history, we are going to go through rebuilding years where we lose a lot more than we win. We can't have everyone abandoning the team and going to cheer for the Leafs or Habs because those are their "real" favorite teams.

I think fans took the Jets for granted in a way that wouldn't happen now. People realize that halfhearted support means that your local team could up and leave. I don't think the Jets are going to have to deal with that "cheering for someone else" phenomenon nearly as much as they used to.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think fans took the Jets for granted in a way that wouldn't happen now. People realize that halfhearted support means that your local team could up and leave. I don't think the Jets are going to have to deal with that "cheering for someone else" phenomenon nearly as much as they used to.

In my heart I agree with you. I just hope that it happens that way.

This is at the heart of why I dislike seeing a large portion of the crowd cheer for the visitor. I feel like it's like a gauge on how much the local team is loved and supported by the city.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Cool idea for a thread.

I started as a Habs/Stars fan in the 07/08 season. Basically my buddy who got me into the game liked the Stars so I sort of half-cheered them that year (especially when they 4OT'd the Sharks :laugh:). Plus I wanted to like a Canadian team so that's how I broke away from him and started liking the Habs.

Never really knew the Jets 1.0 but it's harder and harder not to put them as #1 and put Montreal as #2 now... Never had Moose season tickets but I went to quite a few games once I got into hockey and now I will always remember them. I keep looking for Moose jerseys, I've seen some for $130 but to me that still seems pretty expensive for a team that doesn't exist anymore. If it goes below $100, I will for sure get one now.

Of course I cheered for Pittsburgh in 08/09 because I love Crosby and was happy for Chicago last year because of the Winnipeg players and they were an exciting team.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I went to my first Jets game when I was 6 (vs Nordiques) I was hooked. I've always been a Jets fan. I love hockey, but I just can't seem to find an emotional connection to other teams. I've tried to pick another team to follow, but I just don't really care about the outcomes.

It always bothers me when someone supports a road team over the home team. I just don't get that. I can understand being a fan of another team, but the Jets should always come first. :nod:

When Jets 1.0 headed south, so did my interest in the NHL. I would always watch the Stanley Cup finals, but enjoyed cheering for Team Canada during the Olympics, Juniors, etc. more. Again, I need that emotional connection or I lose interest.

Jets hockey is done and I'm already jonesing for next season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I went to my first Jets game when I was 6 (vs Nordiques) I was hooked. I've always been a Jets fan. I love hockey, but I just can't seem to find an emotional connection to other teams. I've tried to pick another team to follow, but I just don't really care about the outcomes.

It always bothers me when someone supports a road team over the home team. I just don't get that. I can understand being a fan of another team, but the Jets should always come first. :nod:

When Jets 1.0 headed south, so did my interest in the NHL. I would always watch the Stanley Cup finals, but enjoyed cheering for Team Canada during the Olympics, Juniors, etc. more. Again, I need that emotional connection or I lose interest.

Jets hockey is done and I'm already jonesing for next season.

The mother of all thread bumps Sixty Minute Man!! :amazed:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
3 years old thread?

tldr.gif

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events