Time to play the game of "Really? Be honest!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
How many of you fell into this particular fan mold, the fan that was not into the Jets Version 1.0, but the NHL teams that would come and play us?

I admit, as a kid I was always more-so into the winners (not a band wagoner by any means), well, that's a half truth. Maybe I was then, but you could hardly blame me. Keep in mind many kids love to follow a winner. My tag tells the story of which team I follow. I have been a Pens fan for 20 years and suffered through the dark days. By the dark days, I mean being razzed and ragged on for following the team during the years of late 2001 to 2006, but I still wore my Ron Francis "A" circa 93' pro Center Ice Pens jersey with pride. Okay, now that I have made that abundantly clear that I could follow a team through the best and worst of times, despite my lack of love for the team (back to the Jets now), I did enjoy volunteering at the Jets Wives Carnival as a kid and talking to the players in person. I remember asking Paul Ysebaert where his game went to since joining us, because he was so good with the Red Wings, yet so mediocre during his tenure here. Well, he didn't take too lightly to that comment, but that was just me. Always overly honest. Perhaps too honest, and not afraid to speak my mind. No matter how big or important the person was to me.

Fast forward, my family and I went to the big 30,000 drive at the Forks and pitched in with a healthy donation of our own to maintain our NHL team. Unfortunately, that was all-for-not, as we would eventually lose them anyway. I cried when our former NHL team left, but not so much for the team itself but for the fact we got to see the best hockey in the world, and who it brought in terms of superstars to our city.

Don't be afraid. Fess up! I admit, I didn't want to be a fan of this team and I definitely was not happy when Mark Chipman announced that they would be called the Jets, as players and other walks of life are getting this team confused with the old version's history, linking them as one in the same. But with all the Manitoba Moose tie-ins and for what True North has done, I find myself really excited about this new Jets team, and enjoying what the future may bring for us Winnipeg hockey fans. This maybe the first time I may call the Winnipeg Jets my team. The team I follow and love. That and being a season ticket holder now, I'll eventually fall in love with this franchise as I did with the Manitoba Moose over the years. Something I felt would never be possible, because I denied myself of the Herd simply since they weren't good enough in my eyes. They were a mickey mouse operation in a second rate league. Oh how that all soon changed after I became a season ticket holder. I truly do miss my Moose and will even miss them more knowing that I won't be going to the games with my father.

pffft He was too cheap and stubborn to get in on the Jets train. Oh well, he'll get left behind at the station. Times change, as do situations. Here's looking forward to the potential possibility I may actually call myself a Jets lovin' fan.

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Back in 1979 when the Jets first entered the NHL, lord there were more non-Jets fans than Jets fans at some games, particularly when Montreal, Toronto or Boston came to town. It was sad. I honestly hated those people.

I'm hoping it isn't like that this time around. Please don't make the Jets the Phoenix _____ (Coyotes, D'backs, Cardinals) where YOUR team is always the road team.

Cheering for only winners is emotionally easier, but in my opinion doesn't make you much of a fan of the sport. If you really back a team, you'll be with them during the good times as well as the bad.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I started my NHL fandom as a New York Islander fan (before I knew better). I also spent a lot of my time as a small child watching the organist play at Jets games (which really pissed off my Big Brother :laugh:

Eventually I started watching the games and I fell in love with the Jets and HATED the other 20 teams.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I started my NHL fandom as a New York Islander fan (before I knew better). I also spent a lot of my time as a small child watching the organist play at Jets games (which really pissed off my Big Brother :laugh:

Eventually I started watching the games and I fell in love with the Jets and HATED the other 20 teams.

Ahhh so you were a fan pre 1991 when the NHL was made up of 21 teams much like myself.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
Was a Jets fan the entire way through with the Red Wings being my second favorite team...it wasn't until they left that Detroit became number one for me and have been for the past fifteen years (they were my second team since about '86 or so when I started to really get how good Yzerman was). Now that the NHL is back in Winnipeg, they're definitely going to be back as my number one team with Detroit settling back into the team that I follow and cheer for when they play against everyone not named the Winnipeg Jets...

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
As a life long winnipeger... I was an oiler fan growing up. I will not lie. I was a massive gretzky fan. So when he was traded to LA i followed him their along with him to st louis and the rags.

Once he retired however, the jets had been gone for a couple years and i was bitter towards the nhl because of it. So i stopped following it for years.

Then the early mid 2000's came around and started following the habs because of my major hatred for the leafs.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Jets fan since I began following hockey back around 1991. Couldn't dream of cheering for another team when they were around.

SeeBass

Mar 16, 2009
Been a fan of the Jets since Bobby Hull signed his contract. (Yes I am that old)

I gave up on the NHL when the Jets left and didn't come back till the Flames had their 04 run.

I have now cheered my last game for the Flames.

Winnipeg Jet

Phoenix Coyote
Jun 2, 2011
British Columbia
jets.nhl.com
In 1992, my Winnipeg Jets sweater needed replacing. I had outgrown it, and it had a number of rips and tears in it. Instead of a brand new Winnipeg Jets sweater, like the one Phil Housley wore, my mother brought home a Pittsburgh Penguins sweater. Despite my reluctance, my mother made me wear it. Although I’ve never cheered for the Penguins, I did like their colours and new logo. My mother later bought me a cap and jacket to go along with it. I still remember the logo fondly, though I would have preferred it to be the Winnipeg Jets.

Strangely, a similar situation happened a couple of years later with the Toronto Raptors. I was a Minnesota Timberwolves supporter, but my mother got me some Raptors stuff. I still take a limited interest in the Timberwolves, more out of curiosity and nostalgia than anything else. I only root for the Raptors now.

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
In 1992, my Winnipeg Jets sweater needed replacing. I had outgrown it, and it had a number of rips and tears in it. Instead of a brand new Winnipeg Jets sweater, like the one Phil Housley wore, my mother brought home a Pittsburgh Penguins sweater. Despite my reluctance, my mother made me wear it. Although I’ve never cheered for the Penguins, I did like their colours and new logo. My mother later bought me a cap and jacket to go along with it. I still remember the logo fondly, though I would have preferred it to be the Winnipeg Jets.

Strangely, a similar situation happened a couple of years later with the Toronto Raptors. I was a Minnesota Timberwolves supporter, but my mother got me some Raptors stuff. I still take a limited interest in the Timberwolves, more out of curiosity and nostalgia than anything else. I only root for the Raptors now.

Let me guess, your mom bought you Saskatchewan Rough Riders gear too huh? Big Riders fan? Guess that explains why you always got beat up in school huh?

Puckschmuck*

I'm going to be brutally honest.

I was 16 when the Jets left. I was devastated, and literally stopped following the NHL hardcore like I used to. I did somewhat follow the Coilers since I do live in this city (for now), but that has now ceased to be as of May 31, 2011. The coil are dead to me.

I never got into the Moose; not one iota. I did not feel my city deserved to be downgraded to an AHL city; never did never will. Winnipeg was/is/always will be much better than that (and yes, I realize it was TN running the Moose who helped the return of the Jets, but my opinion still doesn't change).

Now that the Jets are back, I've made a 180 and now will be enamoured with the NHL once again. Today, I'm still struggling to catch up with the players and stats to be able to have more indepth conversations about the team like most of the guys here (and man, it's like bloody homework doing this!!!).

Oh, and I still hate the Yotes. I hope they choke hard this year, hope fan support continues to tumble, hope the debt loss is even greater this year and that they relocate to QC (hopefully!!!) for 2012/13.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
I was 10 years old when the Jets won the 78 Avco Cup. When I should have been asleep, I remember listening to Ken Nicholson calling play by play on a little radio in my bedroom.

I was hooked as a life long Jets fan. I knew all the stats, all the draft picks, all the minor league players. I was at Portage and Main for the Hawerchuk signing. I remember watching Dave Babych practice at River Heights arena before his first season with the Jets.

I never had a second favourite team.

When the Jets left, I was devastated.

I thought I'd follow the Coyotes for lack of any other team that interested me. That lasted about 6 weeks. It wasn't the same. They weren't my team anymore.

I thought I'd follow the Moose. It wasn't the same. I went to two games during their tenure in Winnipeg. Once to see the new arena.

I still appreciated the game. I enjoy international tournaments as much as the next guy. Particularly the World Juniors. And it doesn't get any better than Canada vs. USA for the gold in the Vancouver. But there's something about having a league team to cheer for. No matter how good or poorly things went, there was always next season. Always hope. Until it wasn't there anymore.

I was still interested in the NHL playoffs, but it wasn't the same. It was nice to see Ottawa do well one year. I didn't dislike them when the Jets were playing. I could never bring myself to cheer for Calgary or Vancouver. I didn't have to worry about whether Edmonton or Toronto did well enough to care about. I've admired Montreal since I was old enough to remember watching Hockey Night in Canada.

Since 1996, the most emotion I've had about NHL hockey was a few months ago when the old timers played in Winnipeg. The former Jets on the squad came out in the 90s era Jets jerseys. Steen, Babych, Ellett, Mann and Boschman took to the ice and for a moment took this middle aged man back to being a kid again. It was a good thing the lights were dimmed during the player introductions. I might have shed a tear or two.

Thomas Wolfe once wrote "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time — back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

Are these my Jets? No. But it's about as close as one can get to going home again. And I'm looking forward to rekindling my passion for the game. If only I had a ticket.

Last edited:

Winnipeg Jet

Phoenix Coyote
Jun 2, 2011
British Columbia
jets.nhl.com
Let me guess, your mom bought you Saskatchewan Rough Riders gear too huh? Big Riders fan? Guess that explains why you always got beat up in school huh?

No, I’ve never worn anything even remotely connected to the Roughriders, or Rough-Riders, or any other CFL team not named Blue Bombers. Though I am a Manchester United supporter, something that’s really pissed off a number of my family members (mostly Liverpool or Everton supporters).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As a life long winnipeger... I was an oiler fan growing up. I will not lie. I was a massive gretzky fan. So when he was traded to LA i followed him their along with him to st louis and the rags.

Once he retired however, the jets had been gone for a couple years and i was bitter towards the nhl because of it. So i stopped following it for years.

Then the early mid 2000's came around and started following the habs because of my major hatred for the leafs.

I totally don't wanna make fun of you woodballs... but I had to laugh at your post:

When the Jets were here, I didn't support them, but when they left (partially due to lack of fan support) I was bitter at the NHL.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm going to be brutally honest.

I was 16 when the Jets left. I was devastated, and literally stopped following the NHL hardcore like I used to. I did somewhat follow the Coilers since I do live in this city (for now), but that has now ceased to be as of May 31, 2011. The coil are dead to me.

I never got into the Moose; not one iota. I did not feel my city deserved to be downgraded to an AHL city; never did never will. Winnipeg was/is/always will be much better than that (and yes, I realize it was TN running the Moose who helped the return of the Jets, but my opinion still doesn't change).

Now that the Jets are back, I've made a 180 and now will be enamoured with the NHL once again. Today, I'm still struggling to catch up with the players and stats to be able to have more indepth conversations about the team like most of the guys here (and man, it's like bloody homework doing this!!!).

Oh, and I still hate the Yotes. I hope they choke hard this year, hope fan support continues to tumble, hope the debt loss is even greater this year and that they relocate to QC (hopefully!!!) for 2012/13.

Oooh, and in Mill Hoods nonetheless.

I lived in Edmonton for 4 years... loved it there. Was also (and still am to an extent) Oiler fan.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I was always a die hard Jets fan. After they left, I followed favorite ex-Jet players (Zhamnov in Chicago, Selanne in Anaheim, Numinnen in Phoenix, etc ..).

Over the past five years, I mostly followed whoever I have on my fantasy hockey teams.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was 10 years old when the Jets won the 78 Avco Cup. When I should have been asleep, I remember listening to Ken Nicholson calling play by play on a little radio in my bedroom.

I was hooked as a life long Jets fan. I knew all the stats, all the draft picks, all the minor league players. I was at Portage and Main for the Hawerchuk signing. I remember watching Dave Babych practice at River Heights arena before his first season with the Jets.

I thought I'd follow the Coyotes for lack of any other team that interested me. That lasted about 6 weeks. It wasn't the same. They weren't my team anymore.

I thought I'd follow the Moose. It wasn't the same. I went to two games during their tenure in Winnipeg. Once to see the new arena.

I still appreciated the game. I enjoy international tournaments as much as the next guy. Particularly the World Juniors. And it doesn't get any better than Canada vs. USA for the gold in the Vancouver. But there's something about having a league team to cheer for. No matter how good or poorly things went, there was always next season. Always hope. Until it wasn't there anymore.

I was still interested in the NHL playoffs, but it wasn't the same. It was nice to see Ottawa do well one year. I didn't dislike them when the Jets were playing. I could never bring myself to cheer for Calgary or Vancouver. I didn't have to worry about whether Edmonton or Toronto did well enough to care about. I've admired Montreal since I was old enough to remember watching Hockey Night in Canada.

Since 1996, the most emotion I've had about NHL hockey was a few months ago when the old timers played in Winnipeg. The former Jets on the squad came out in the 90s era Jets jerseys. Steen, Babych, Ellett, Mann and Boschman took to the ice and for a moment took this middle aged man back to being a kid again. It was a good thing the lights were dimmed during the player introductions. I might have shed a tear or two.

Thomas Wolfe once wrote "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time — back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

Are these my Jets? No. But it's about as close as one can get to going home again. And I'm looking forward to rekindling my passion for the game. If only I had a ticket.

:handclap:

Stellar post. I share many of these feelings.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I totally don't wanna make fun of you woodballs... but I had to laugh at your post:

When the Jets were here, I didn't support them, but when they left (partially due to lack of fan support) I was bitter at the NHL.

Laugh all you want.
That is the truth

TyBOZAK*

Back in 1979 when the Jets first entered the NHL, lord there were more non-Jets fans than Jets fans at some games, particularly when Montreal, Toronto or Boston came to town. It was sad. I honestly hated those people.

I'm hoping it isn't like that this time around. Please don't make the Jets the Phoenix _____ (Coyotes, D'backs, Cardinals) where YOUR team is always the road team.

Cheering for only winners is emotionally easier, but in my opinion doesn't make you much of a fan of the sport. If you really back a team, you'll be with them during the good times as well as the bad.

This. I hate bandwaggoners so much.

Puckschmuck*

Oooh, and in Mill Hoods nonetheless.

Heh. Out here it's known as Mill-bang-bang-woods for a reason ;) But compared to the downtown, Northeast and Northcentral Edmonton and the West End, it's paradise.

I lived in Edmonton for 4 years... loved it there. Was also (and still am to an extent) Oiler fan.

I really liked it more when I first moved out here. It seemed so much more than Winnipeg, but at the same time just like Winnipeg.

Now, Edmonton and Winnipeg have pretty much the same quality of life. Edmonton is a little bigger and has rapid transit, but other than that, pretty much the same. Edmonton is now the murder and mosquito capitals of Canada, something Winnipeg is familiar with. Summers in Winnipeg are much better though, and the winters and mosquitos are just as cold here, even colder and more mosquitoier as I've learned over the past two years.

I still kind of like it here, but not enough to keep me here. I'd prefer Winnipeg any day of the week.

Gordo99

Apr 30, 2011
:handclap:

Stellar post. I share many of these feelings.

Totally agree. It's a great post by CriticalMass.

That post could have been written by me, maybe not as well but is an excellent description of my history and feelings for the Jets and hockey since they left. I'm sure many guys can relate and that's what makes getting a team back so cool. I got a new Jets t-shirt last week and when the guy handed it to me it seemed surreal. I still can't believe we have NHL hockey back.

But I do have a ticket. I'm hopefull individual game tickets aren't as hard to get and prices relax on secondary market as the season progresses so real fans with history can get to games.

SeeBass

Mar 16, 2009

You and I are the same age with a lot of the same memories it appears.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
This. I hate bandwaggoners so much.

Hate is a strong word. Anyway, I followed my Pens and suffered those bad years and why I like the Islanders (love the team's potential and of course I always felt sorry for them) and why I also like the Hurricanes. Love Francis, so even followed him to the Canes despite the fact the team would miss the playoffs every second year.

Better yet my all-time favorite team was an AHL team. Not an NHL one. So you better not be directing this post to me sir. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad