Speculation: Time to part ways with Alex Burrows

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Trading Burrows would be ridiculous. I think Rhys from CA was tweeting yesterday that Burrows posted a 56% CF last year away from the Sedins. Dude can still play elite hockey. He's also pretty much a prototypical Benning type player from everything I've seen from Benning.

Burrows might end up as a whipping boy in this market, but he won't deserve it. In fact, Burrows is the only reason I'm even so-so almost nearly partly optimistic about that 2nd line with Bonino.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Wouldn't have minded if Burrows was dealt, but if he can rebound from injury, he will be a valuable player to have around. He's the best defensive forward on the roster and can score some goals - 2 things this group really needs.

If Burrows has a good year, and the Canucks crash and burn, maybe he looks to go to a contender at the deadline. At that point, maybe he holds some value - something I don't think you could say today.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
In fact, Burrows is the only reason I'm even so-so almost nearly partly optimistic about that 2nd line with Bonino.

On paper, Bonino and Burrows look like a good fit together. They're both high IQ offensive players that can make plays and score. Same goes for Kassian. Those 3 could compliment each other well. And as you alluded to, Burrows defensive game is crucial if that line is going to go head to head with decent opposition - something they will have to do if you have a rookie at 3C.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
On paper, Bonino and Burrows look like a good fit together. They're both high IQ offensive players that can make plays and score. Same goes for Kassian. Those 3 could compliment each other well. And as you alluded to, Burrows defensive game is crucial if that line is going to go head to head with decent opposition - something they will have to do if you have a rookie at 3C.

Yeah. Not just his defensive game though -- his possession game, too. Basically he's the type of player teams like LA load up on. Trading him would be a mistake imo. As you said, if you put Burrows with Bonino and another + possession player in Kassian, Bonino's paltry possession numbers don't matter as much. He can be the mediocre possession player that relies on his linemates to get the puck up the ice, which would allow the line to use Bonino's offensive skills (his best asset) while limiting his downside. Plus, even with Burrow's contract, you're looking at a 8.1 million dollar line, which is cheap by today's standards.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
No coach keeps lines together 24/7 anymore. Burrows and Vrbata will be interchangeable at times between first and second lines.

Guys like Burr, who has been so consistent (presuming last year was an outlier) the last few years, are valuable partly because they are so versatile.

People who are looking to get rid of him because of one crappy year are missing a couple of things.

One, hockey players have off years. Careers ebb and flow. Does not mean they are done.

Secondly, that versatility is a huge, huge addition to any team. They can plug into so many different situations.

I don't want to keep Burr because he has scored big goals...although he has. I want to keep him because he has a valuable skill set that is still enormously important...and no matter what some people think, is extremely difficult to replace.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Trading Burrows would be ridiculous. I think Rhys from CA was tweeting yesterday that Burrows posted a 56% CF last year away from the Sedins. Dude can still play elite hockey. He's also pretty much a prototypical Benning type player from everything I've seen from Benning.

If HW's rumours are to be believed, then Burrows was already asked to waive. He refused. So a prototypical "Benning Type", but not really.

If they've asked him to waive once, it's only a matter of time. Maybe they give him half a year and see if he reconsiders at the deadline (assuming his production isn't there).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
If HW's rumours are to be believed, then Burrows was already asked to waive. He refused. So a prototypical "Benning Type", but not really.

If they've asked him to waive once, it's only a matter of time. Maybe they give him half a year and see if he reconsiders at the deadline (assuming his production isn't there).

They probably wanted to clear one of the Burrows/Garrison contracts from the books, if true. That would be my guess. But I think once the season gets going and Burrows returns to form, it won't be something they feel the need to revisit -- unless the team suffers a key injury or two and falls apart (/cough Henrik).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
With Kesler gone I think Burrows becomes more important as a two way forward that can help shutdown the top lines and kill penalties. If he can rebound from a tough year and improve his offence by a significant amount then I think Benning may take a look at the trade deadline whether he should be traded.
His salary is high based on what he did last year but when you see some of the FA signings he can earn that salary if he rebounds.

In any event, I think he will probably be moved in the next year or two as the team tries to get younger.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Burrows is the heart and soul of this team he had one bad year and all the wagoners dich him. Hes great and gives 200% even if not scoreing goals. No way we give him up he will be back this year for sure

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Burrows is the heart and soul of this team he had one bad year and all the wagoners dich him. Hes great and gives 200% even if not scoreing goals. No way we give him up he will be back this year for sure

Yea, selling Burrows for the sake of making change on this roster isn't a great move. If anything you pray that he rebounds and then sell him and hopefully 2 other pieces at the deadline:

Bonino-1st round pick
Edler- 1st round pick
Burrows-2nd round pick.

If we come out of the 2015 draft with 3 1st round picks and 2 2nds, I would be happy, That is the time to expunge assets, not now.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
If the Canucks get a push from some of the younger players on the roster, it makes sense to move a veteran player or two in order to give the younger guys some ice.

If the team falls out of contention early, it might make some sense to move a Burrows/Hansen/Higgins/Richardson to accommodate a Jensen/Shinkaruk/Gaunce

I do think the Canucks intend to compete for a playoff spot, but I think if that starts looking unrealistic, plan B would come into effect pretty quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad