Speculation: Time to part ways with Alex Burrows

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Alright Ill try and keep this as short as can be but I think its time for us to send Burrows packing. It appears that we are undergoing a "culture change/re-build/re-tool/re-whatever" and I don't personally see a significant role for Burrows to play in shaping the future of this team. Jumping right into it I see the team for next year at the moment looking like.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Matthias-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
X-Richardson-Dorsett

Now a few main notes I have regarding those posted lines.

I like most other fans 100% want Jensen given a full season with the big club next year, and to be put in a position to succeed. I believe that Jensen as well as Shinkaruk are our only two players with "top line scorer" upside, so I think its important to attempt to develop them into these roles, and I believe that the Sedin's can help Jensen into this role. The main point here is Burrows's presence on this roster may ultimately lead to that same old Sedin-Sedin-Burrows line being rolled out again, potentially restricting the development of Nicklas Jensen.

Another point is that I 100% want a spot made available to be competed for one of Horvat/Gaunce/Cassels/Fox represented by me inserting Horvat into our top 9 above. I believe it is important to give a legitimate opportunity for one of these guys to prove themselves and given a legitimate opportunity to develop in the NHL.

Thirdly, I think it is important to convert Matthias to a winger now, as he is poor at faceoffs and I personally think its very valuable to have a player with as much enthusiasm as he has to be a Canuck. Personally I see him and Bonino becoming the cornerstones of our future third line, and I would be interested in seeing what a pairing of these two could do together. And simply putting him on the 4th line I believe will seal his fate into becoming noting more than a grinder type player.

Given these points I don't see where Burrows fits in this lineup any further, and personally I would be fine just simply selling him for a pick tomorrow to make even further cap space. Also I believe its worth mentioning that Im not opposed to landing a big free agent forward either if the opportunity presents itself, but even moreso it drives the point that Burrows no longer has a spot on this team.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think Matthias will be on the bottom six

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
UFA - Bonino - UFA/Trade
Higgins - Horvat - Matthais
UFA - Richardson - Dorsett

Burrows
Hansen

I suspect will be on the trade block to complete the new look.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'll give him till the deadline. Very small chance he has an equally awful year.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
He's like the only guy that has had success with the Sedins. I'm hoping that they could get back some of their magic if we keep him. At least that would be something to look forward to this season. Ugh, this team. :cry:

givemeda411

Sep 7, 2007
Vancouver

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
UFA - Bonino - UFA/Trade

Burrows
Hansen

Yea looks like both burrows and Hansen are goners.

But I see the bottom 6:

Higgins Bonino UFA
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
UFA - Bonino - UFA/Trade

Burrows
Hansen

Yea I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Hansen out as well given we are able to attract a free agent or two.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
No. I'd trade Hansen before him. Burrows is more valuable now if the team is going to get drastically younger. Also, I'm going to assume Bonino will be better with his linemates than Kesler.

You keep Burrows because you know he works with the Sedins and potentially having a solid 1st line is even more important when the rest of the lines are inexperienced.

Last year was the first since 2008-2009 that he didn't score at a 22 goal pace or better. I think he comes back strong this year, especially because there are centers on other lines who he can play with now.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
May as well part way with the Sedins too. They are well past their prime on huge contracts. I don't think we could dump them on anyone though.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Idk... Burr is one of the guys I'd want to keep. I think he has a lot more to show that what happened last year.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
??? - ??? - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

I'd say throw a bag of money at Stastny and J.Jokinen.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
The only reason I consider trading Alex Burrows is if you genuinely believe the Auger incident has the Canucks on some kind of league blacklist as long as he laces up for us. If your hat is not of the foil variety, there's absolutely no reason to move him after his calamitous year. His value will be low, and we already have more than ample cap room after flushing out Booth, dispatching Garrison and parting ways with Kesler.

The goal isn't to see how far below the salary floor we can get.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
UFA/trade - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Matthias

Burrows
Hansen

I agree with this but you forgot about Kass!

Would also like to see us put Matthias on the 4th line and acquire a 2nd and 3rd line winger through UFA/Trade

Edit: I also wouldn't be mad if we kept him, give him till the deadline to see if he can bounce back.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Need guys to bridge the gap. They're trying for a "re-tool" this would be on the path of stripping it bare. Jensen is not ready for top line duty, Burrows gives us a better chance and if he has a solid year and they're out of it, send him to a playoff team at a decent value. No reason to trade him unless he's coveted and it's a win.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
May as well part way with the Sedins too. They are well past their prime on huge contracts. I don't think we could dump them on anyone though.
I disagree. I believe the Sedins have a key role to play in the development of the incoming youth on this team as well as maintaining our compete level.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
To do a re-set on a team's culture, you have to remove guys. The Canucks want to shed their image as a team of divers and weasels. This means finding out who is driving this perception and getting rid of him.

This isn't a bad idea. Canucks rarely benefit from a league interaction and do not charm officials. Reversing that is a good step toward rebuilding the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad