Time to move a d man

Gio Johnny

Giojohnny
Feb 7, 2010
Canada
We have lots here
Bogosian, trouba, buff, ellerby, pardy, enstrom, clitsome, postma, Stuart, Redmond, etc

I think we need to move enstrom or Stuart

Enstrom is becoming injury prone
Stuart is aging and contract
Clitsome, ???

I think the oilers are in need of help there, as are the flyers and sabres!

We also could
D deal the rights to burmistrov?

You thoughts!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Did you read the comments on your posting on the trade thread?

Enstrom is our only top 4 LHD, and playing like our best defenseman. It's very unlikely he is dealt. We would be in a terrible position on the left side if that was the case.

Our only position of strength, if you can call it that is with RHD. It's obvious that with Bogosian's extension, and Trouba's age and ceiling that IF a guy is dealt it's Buff.

Stuart can possibly be moved at the deadline, but it looks like management loves him.

Ellerby and Pardy have no value trade wise, and Postma and Redmond are both unlikely to be moved until both can come back and play for a bit.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
3 of those players on your list are hurt and Redmond has only played two games because he was hurt.
You can never have too much d depth

So I say no. Don't trade anyone yet. At least wait until the trade deadline

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Enstrom has a full NM clause that he'd have to waive to move him - given that he just signed a very long term contract with the Jets, I also don't see them wanting to do this.

If you move Enstrom and Stuart, you're left with:

Bogo (shifted to LD - 1st pair)
Clitsome (2nd pair)
Pardy (3nd pair)

...and very little for depth after that. If we were to move a d-man, I'd prefer to see Buff dealt - he could bring something of value, and he plays RD where we have a fair amount of depth.

Also: prior to his shoulder injuries, Enstrom was pretty resilient - hopefully that continues this year. He's taken a few good shots and seems to be no worse for the wear, which bodes well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Defensemen that won't can't be traded:

Enstrom - Top LHD, full NMC.
Bogo - Just signed 7 year contract. Still lots of room for growth.
Trouba - For obvious reasons.
Postma - No team is trading for a guy out long term with a blood clot.
Pardy - Was waived already - no value.
Ellerby - Was waived already - no value.
Morrissey - Too much potential.
Redmond - 2 way contract gives Jets needed flexibility - no real value to others.

That leaves Clitty, Stuart and Buff. Clitty and Stuart would have minimal value to others and certainly wouldn't bring back anything that would impact the team.

The only logical trade bait would be Buff. He still has lots of value. Could get at least 1 impact player. His contract is short enough and reasonable enough not to scare off buyers. We have much more depth up the right side.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
lol Yeah, we'll trade our best defenseman. That'll be what happens.

Right, because no team has EVER traded their best player before.

I don't think or want it to happen but that's a pretty weak argument.

You could have pointed to his contract signing or his no movement clause.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I've never understood that argument myself. 1 bad year of unrelated injuries after 3 consecutive 82 game seasons and suddenly he's injury prone.

Question about the "we're short on LHD" comments. I just watched a bunch of Trouba highlights from Michigan (it's a lazy Sunday) and it really looks like he spent a lot of time playing on the left side. Like more than just on the PP, it seems like he was almost always there other than when he carried the puck out of his own zone, where he'd usually circle behind the net and go down the right side. Was he just switching to his off hand mid shift to get in a better position to shoot or is that where he was actually used in Michigan? If that was where he was used, and we're short on LHD talent, why not develop him on the left side?

He seems like the type who adjusts very quickly to new situations and I'd say he has the most valuable shot on the team (not as hard as Buff's, but he adjusts his shots as he's shooting it to best serve the situation i.e. if he has a clear shot he can pick the corner, if there's traffic he'll shoot at the legs for tips/pinball effect in hope that somebody picks up the loose puck and can put it on net,) so I'd think that if he can adjust to the left side/if that's actually what he's used to, that is where he would best serve this team or at least be worth the look when he gets back.

To sum up, my only question is: What side did Trouba play in Michigan? Followed by rambling.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We have lots here
Bogosian, trouba, buff, ellerby, pardy, enstrom, clitsome, postma, Stuart, Redmond, etc

I think we need to move enstrom or Stuart

Enstrom is becoming injury prone
Stuart is aging and contract
Clitsome, ???

I think the oilers are in need of help there, as are the flyers and sabres!

We also could
D deal the rights to burmistrov?

You thoughts!

You trade Enstrom, who plays on the Left Side?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

So you think we'll trade Enstrom?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

When is the last time a team traded their best player?

The only one that I can think of "recently" is the Thornton trade.

Yes it has happened in the past but it's SO RARE!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
(rambling)

To sum up, my only question is: What side did Trouba play in Michigan? Followed by rambling.

On non-PP situations Trouba played exclusively the right side in Michigan.

They have a very loose / almost non-existant system, which allowed Trouba to roam and what-not, but defensively his responsibilities was to the right side.

I can't remember who his partner was while Jon Merrill was injured, but the NJD LHD defensive prospect was Trouba's partner for the back half of the season.

I liked watching the two together and was hoping the Jets could have gotten him somehow for cheap haha.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I'm hoping Cherry continues to praise Stuart during Coach's Corner. I like Stuart for all the usual reasons but if we can move him, Jokinen and possibly Seto at the deadline we could restock those missing draft picks.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
On non-PP situations Trouba played exclusively the right side in Michigan.

They have a very loose / almost non-existant system, which allowed Trouba to roam and what-not, but defensively his responsibilities was to the right side.

I can't remember who his partner was while Jon Merrill was injured, but the NJD LHD defensive prospect was Trouba's partner for the back half of the season.

I liked watching the two together and was hoping the Jets could have gotten him somehow for cheap haha.

Thanks, didn't get to watch any games so all I had to go on were highlights, and most of his offensive highlights came from the left side so the "loose/almost non-existent system" makes a lot of sense.

Considering how quickly he seems to adjust to new situations I'd still enjoy seeing how he fares playing on Bogo's left side, rather than watching Bogo struggle on the left side or having Trouba as a #5 d-man with Clitsome in the top 4.

Kane9Swag

Feb 15, 2013
Buff is likely to be traded unfortunately. It makes sense on why Keaton was picked up since the dude is as tall as Buff.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
extremely extremely insightful

I find most defense systems are based around player height.

More-You-Know.gif

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013
If any D-man is traded it should and will be Byfuglien. That being said, I bet his stock has dropped off significantly from last year. I think too many people are over evaluating his worth.

What is the market for a D-man that takes plays off, leads the league in giveaways, almost leads the league in plus/minus, and takes lazy penalties? Unless a team can convince him that's he better at playing forward than D, I can't see teams giving us a ton for him.

With some young talent in our D-core, this team will be better moving forward without lazy Buff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad