Time to move a d man

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well since giveaways and +/- aren't very good stats and telling anything... market could be anything ;)

High giveaways tends to just mean that player has the puck a lot... note that Buff also has huge takeaways and Jets have their greatest puck possession % when Buff is on the ice.

Plus/minus is tends to be a mix of player talent, usage and variance (ie: luck)... even at 120 game mark sample, +/- is under 50% reliable.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I predict Buff gets traded right at the deadline to a contender (likely an eastern team) that has some injuries on the back end. In return we'll pick up some draft picks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I predict Buff gets traded right at the deadline to a contender (likely an eastern team) that has some injuries on the back end. In return we'll pick up some draft picks.

You will get more for Buff than a late 1st round pick + other picks. I wouldn't move him for anything less than a young roster player with real potential.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You will get more for Buff than a late 1st round pick + other picks. I wouldn't move him for anything less than a young roster player with real potential.

I really think we are a better team without Buff and I would love to get him off the books to make room for a possible top center signing in the off season. Getting a few draft picks (a late 1st and a 2nd) is within reason IMO.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I really think we are a better team without Buff and I would love to get him off the books to make room for a possible top center signing in the off season. Getting a few draft picks (a late 1st and a 2nd) is within reason IMO.

We are not a better team with draft picks and no Buff though. Not even close. Who plays his 24 minutes a night? Melchiori? Redmond? Yeah, I'm sure those guys are way better than Buff.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We are not a better team with draft picks and no Buff though. Not even close. Who plays his 24 minutes a night? Melchiori? Redmond? Yeah, I'm sure those guys are way better than Buff.

The only way we trade Buff at the deadline is if we are out of contention for a playoff spot, which is more than likely. At that point who cares who replaces his minutes. The way I see it, it's all about the future. And our future won't/shouldn't include Buff.

If we can get some picks for him and get him off the payroll we are better off in the long run. Sure, it would be great to get more for him, like a top 2 center but that's not going to happen at the trade deadline unless we deal him to a non contending team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed. If he is traded you'd want a roster player/players in exchange. You need to get something that you know can help the team.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Agreed. If he is traded you'd want a roster player/players in exchange. You need to get something that you know can help the team.

The only exception really to me at least would be if he continues to look bad and Philly or Edmonton continues to be in the bottom three and offers the pick straight up you might listen. He's had more good games than bad this season in my opinion, but his last few have not been great. Played better last game, hopefully that continues and we don't need a big trade.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Hate to break it to you none of these guys will fetch a kings ransom the way they have been playing

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013
Well since giveaways and +/- aren't very good stats and telling anything... market could be anything ;)

High giveaways tends to just mean that player has the puck a lot... note that Buff also has huge takeaways and Jets have their greatest puck possession % when Buff is on the ice.

Plus/minus is tends to be a mix of player talent, usage and variance (ie: luck)... even at 120 game mark sample, +/- is under 50% reliable.

True, but good players do things that help their team when they're provided a ton of ice time. Not enough positives with Buffs game for the ice time he's provided.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The only exception really to me at least would be if he continues to look bad and Philly or Edmonton continues to be in the bottom three and offers the pick straight up you might listen. He's had more good games than bad this season in my opinion, but his last few have not been great. Played better last game, hopefully that continues and we don't need a big trade.

I doubt Craig Mactavish/Kevin Lowe are that stupid. Are they? lol

I think you guys are way over valuing Buff. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
The only way we trade Buff at the deadline is if we are out of contention for a playoff spot, which is more than likely. At that point who cares who replaces his minutes. The way I see it, it's all about the future. And our future won't/shouldn't include Buff.

If we can get some picks for him and get him off the payroll we are better off in the long run. Sure, it would be great to get more for him, like a top 2 center but that's not going to happen at the trade deadline unless we deal him to a non contending team.

While i'm not against trading Buff, I do think you are over valuing draft picks. Getting a late round 1st isn't going to help us much, unless he's the second coming of Claude Giroux (which is extremely rare). I think it's possible that draft picks could be part of a deal for Buff, but it won't be the main piece coming back.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I doubt Craig Mactavish/Kevin Lowe are that stupid. Are they? lol

I think you guys are way over valuing Buff. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

A high offense player like Byfuglien would look real nice to a team that needs an extra player to put them over the edge at the trade deadline, assuming we`re dealing him at that time because there`s a very realistic chance we`re out of the playoff hunt at that time, unfortunately.

I doubt that Edmonton goes for Buff because they need better defense, they have enough goal scoring potential out front. Philadelphia still seems like a decent fit for a trade centering around Buff.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
While i'm not against trading Buff, I do think you are over valuing draft picks. Getting a late round 1st isn't going to help us much, unless he's the second coming of Claude Giroux (which is extremely rare). I think it's possible that draft picks could be part of a deal for Buff, but it won't be the main piece coming back.

Sure, but we could parlay draft picks into a trade at one point. I think we would have more options anyways.

I think we can all agree that if we are going to contend in the west we need to become defensively responsible. That is impossible with a guy like Buff on your team. I stand by what I said earlier. If Buff gets traded, it will be to the east for draft picks and perhaps a 3rd or 4th line roster player.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
We are short of quality defencemen. We need a lefty to pair with Bogo until Morrisey is ready. We have a crapload of injuries right now. If Buff is traded a d-man needs to come back. This is why the Buff to Philly trade is appealing, because if you did get the Schenn brothers back Luke Schenn could help us right away.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

This is bang on...if we are out of a playoff race we need to be REALLY out of the playoff race.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't think you make a trade for Buff if you are a basement dweller. To me he is a guy you go after if you are looking to add a certain skill set to a contender.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think your bang on in your ask for a top 4 leftie d-man..and a young centre...heck I would be fine with one depending on the player..

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
I know I run the risk of getting slammed big time for suggesting this, but it's just a thought...why not play Peluso on Defense? He's played there before, decent skater, good passer, and could definitely clear the constant traffic in front of Pavs. Could be a cheaper albeit less skilled replacement for Buff. Then you could trade Buff to Philly for something along the lines of Simmons and Couturier?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad