Time to Implement a Luxury Tax?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Earlier this season it was announced that the Salary Cap for the 2020-2021 Season will fall between $84 and $88.2 million. With the impact of COVID-19 and the season likely being cancelled, it is unlikely that the Cap will increase beyond the current $81.5 million, with rumours that it may actually go down. With the amount of teams struggling to stay below the cap to begin with, and the financial impact on small market teams as a result of the cancellations, it may be time to finally implement a Luxury Tax similar to the NBA.

This would allow teams (most likely contenders) to spend above the salary cap and be taxed as a result, with the tax money going towards supporting the smaller market teams that have been impacted by recent events. Not only would this allow teams to remain in contention, but it would allow the owners of small market teams to recover and also return to contention.

Thoughts?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Small market teams lose less, if at all, due to the cancellation of the season. Some might even save money. No travel, no rent, lay off some staff and of course players are responsible for 50% of the lost revenue.

The amount teams like Canadiens, Leafs and the Rangers will lose is huge.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
The owners had a lockout to institute a hard cap, which guaranteed cost certainty for small market teams as well as larger profits for large market teams. Can’t see them loosening their grip on either now.

If anything they’ll keep the cap stagnant or have a slight increase coupled with a larger escrow from the players as a potential offset.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The owners had a lockout to institute a hard cap, which guaranteed cost certainty for small market teams as well as larger profits for large market teams. Can’t see them loosening their grip on either now.

If anything they’ll keep the cap stagnant or have a slight increase coupled with a larger escrow from the players as a potential offset.
I'd assume this new tax system would still work under the 50/50 split.

Which means the "extra" money paid in salaries goes from the pockets of other players (via escrow).

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Which means the "extra" money paid in salaries goes from the pockets of other players (via escrow).

Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you’re saying but are you implying that the additional salaries are taken from the escrow? I’m not sure how that would work... or why the PA would sign off on that.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you’re saying but are you implying that the additional salaries are taken from the escrow? I’m not sure how that would work... or why the PA would sign off on that.
Players have already signed off on 50% of HRR. Why would they expect that to increasd? No matter how you arrange the cap.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
What makes money for small market teams is competing for the playoffs and filling their arenas. And not having a league with the Yankees and red Sox spending the way they do. And having most stadiums empty cause they cant compete. Football and hockey have it right. Parity is the only way to go.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The players get 50% of HRR. Just because you let the owners spend more than 50% of HRR on player salaries doesn't mean the amount of HRR is any bigger. As always, the players would have to pay the extra money they got over 50% into escrow. The players don't understand and hate escrow.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I always thought you should able to spend up to $10 million over the cap, but you also be taxed at the amount you are over as well. I believe that is fair. Teams that can afford can do it as long they want and it allows teams more flexibility in keeping their cores in tact.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Earlier this season it was announced that the Salary Cap for the 2020-2021 Season will fall between $84 and $88.2 million. With the impact of COVID-19 and the season likely being cancelled, it is unlikely that the Cap will increase beyond the current $81.5 million, with rumours that it may actually go down. With the amount of teams struggling to stay below the cap to begin with, and the financial impact on small market teams as a result of the cancellations, it may be time to finally implement a Luxury Tax similar to the NBA.

This would allow teams (most likely contenders) to spend above the salary cap and be taxed as a result, with the tax money going towards supporting the smaller market teams that have been impacted by recent events. Not only would this allow teams to remain in contention, but it would allow the owners of small market teams to recover and also return to contention.

Thoughts?

I think it would be a terrible direction for the league to take and I also dispute the notion that there are a lot of teams that are struggling to stay beneath the cap.

What's wrong with having a level playing field?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Escrow is the great equalizer. They can still move the cap up to allow for salary cap space and player re signings. It's just going to mean a lot of escrow percent hold back.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Small market teams lose less, if at all, due to the cancellation of the season. Some might even save money.

You don't understand how this business works.

If the season were cancelled, every team would suffer staggering loses.

The players still get their full salaries, but now the owners have lost tens of millions in gate receipts for lost home games and millions and millions more in lost playoff revenue.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I always thought you should able to spend up to $10 million over the cap, but you also be taxed at the amount you are over as well. I believe that is fair. Teams that can afford can do it as long they want and it allows teams more flexibility in keeping their cores in tact.

So a drop in the bucket penalty for rich teams to be able to toss more money at players? Doesn't work as a lot of rich team's cores would consist of FA's. You'd have teams going 10 mill over the cap as they're paying 2M more per season to 5 players than what the smaller markets would pay.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
You don't understand how this business works.

If the season were cancelled, every team would suffer staggering loses.

The players still get their full salaries, but now the owners have lost tens of millions in gate receipts for lost home games and millions and millions more in lost playoff revenue.
Players return money to balance out the 50/50 split.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Well no, a luxury tax would be additional spending to salaries. It would be above and beyond player salary, the optional hit would be at the expense of the teams not the players.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Well no, a luxury tax would be additional spending to salaries. It would be above and beyond player salary, the optional hit would be at the expense of the teams not the players.
Then it's a no-go. Owners fought and lost an entire season to get to 50/50. They ain't voting in favour of something that wrecks it.

Might as well just increase the players' split to 55%, if that's what you're after. That increases the cap just the same, but in a more fair way.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I like the idea of the $10 million limit

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yep, cause the Rags were so successful when they paid mediocre players $8 mill a year.
Vthsy8l.png

We never stopped. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad