Time to Implement a Luxury Tax?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Gonna have to go with a hard no on this one.

If I were to guess they will use the same or slightly higher/lower cap as this year for the next. If I recall they did something similar before.

The luxury tax idea is just flawed all around. Teams are more than capable of developing SC caliber teams as it stands now. No need to goof around helping a select few that can’t keep themselves in check.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
how do you figure MLB has parity? Half the league doesnt have a chance of making the POs before the season even starts. Many teams dont even try to be competitive. Yes the NHL has non competitive teams but those are teams rebuilding. The MLB has non competitive teams that are content with never being competitive.

How do you figure it doesn't?

27 out of 30 MLB teams have been to the LCS in the 20 years.

Apparently only 3 of these teams you allege are never competitive actually exist.

Reactions: Ciao

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Luxury tax could work

Just have to make the tax high enough. Maybe a 100% tax for the first 10 million over the cap, then 250% for every dollar beyond that. All tax money distributed evenly to the teams that remain below the tax threshold

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
how do you figure MLB has parity? Half the league doesnt have a chance of making the POs before the season even starts. Many teams dont even try to be competitive. Yes the NHL has non competitive teams but those are teams rebuilding. The MLB has non competitive teams that are content with never being competitive.

13 different NHL teams have won a cup since 2000. The number of different MLB teams to win a world series since 2000? 13. Mind you there is a locked out season in there for the NHL so slight edge on this to hockey but who knows, maybe the Coyotes could have snuck one in there. Either way, its close.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
13 different NHL teams have won a cup since 2000. The number of different MLB teams to win a world series since 2000? 13. Mind you there is a locked out season in there for the NHL so slight edge on this to hockey but who knows, maybe the Coyotes could have snuck one in there. Either way, its close.
Don't forget Houston might have a great asterisk next to both (? I don't watch baseball) of their championships.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The hard cap is a good thing. I’d like to see a decreased percentage of cap hit for players drafted in an organization lets say 80-90% against the cap and the current 100% for traded or free agent signed players. I hate seeing the teams that draft well losing players to poorly managed clubs. That’s about the only thing I would look into changing.
That would be interesting.

I agree, the league should reward teams for doing things like drafting and trading well. Not for simply existing in a big market.

The only benefit market size should construe upon a team is the ability to attract free agents looking to play in a market of that size. That's because it is something which can't be accounted for.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
No.
The current system rewards people who are actually better at knowing hockey, and not just who has more money. That's the way it should be.
The hard cap is perfectly fine. No need to change it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->