Time to Go Back to Ties

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The issue I, and others here have is not the final result but how that result is achieved. The NHL has no business using a gimmick to decide the winner and loser of games. It IMO cheapens the final result and between that and handing out points to losing teams it makes the league look like a joke.

You talk about going home after 60 or 65 minutes with nothing resolved, worse is watching a tense close exciting game for 60 or 65 minutes then having that excitement come to a screeching halt and replaced with some gimmicky play that is no better than flipping a coin to decide a winner.

I get it many don`t want ties, fine then come up with a better way to resolve those games, and no more giving out points to losing teams. Only in the NHL can teams tie win and lose all in the same game

It is the NHL's business so that can do whatever they want. The problem for the NHL is that if the teams get too far apart in the standings some teams take don't play very hard "saving it for the playoffs".... sounds like "this game don't matter" not a good way to hype people up.
That and star players would take games off for rest. another way to say don't bother tuning in untill the playoffs.
1 point 2 point, Who cares? It seems to me most people have fun at shootouts, until they lose

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ties are incredibly stupid imo.

A sporting event is a competition. Competition is all about wining or losing - ties are just dumb.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Ties are incredibly stupid imo.

A sporting event is a competition. Competition is all about wining or losing - ties are just dumb.

A competition is about a competitive atmosphere. If two teams played to a tie after 70 minutes of play, something about that game made it a competitive one. One where the two teams were evenly matched that game.

So why force a winner?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure about ties but the loser point needs to go. Only 7 teams are under .500 right now and four of those are only one win under. What kind of crappy merit badge participation league has almost 75% of the teams over .500? My team, the Canucks, are the worst they've ever been since I started following them in the late 90's and we're still only a few points back of a playoff spot because of shootout wins and OTLs.

This. Parity has the nasty side effect of killing meaningfulness.

Winning 5 games in a row is great, but not when you lose 5 straight right after... Or if you lose a bunch of OT games and somehow still go up in the standings. It creates a constant, almost random, yo yo effect which personally I find tiring and uninteresting.

As mentioned in the other thread, the possibility of a Leicester city type historical sports event in the NHL has been literally eliminated by parity measures.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you want ties, you got 'em. Turn the game off at the end of regulation if both teams are tied. That's when both team get a point. That's how it was for decades, when hockey was played by real men, and the league was full of integrity run by real men. If you love a tie for a hard days work, they still exist.

The 3v3 and SO, that's something extra today. The winning team in that situation gets an extra point. If that's not real hockey, and it's the brainchild of Bettman, just don't watch it. Teams that rely on that extra OT/SO point, over 82 games, they won't do well anyway. So you don't really have to watch it.

The way things are now, it covers all bases. Ties in regulation if neither team can best the other in a 60 minute sample size. A little fun pond hockey in OT, with a winner point being handed out to the winning team. And, as a last resort, if you need a "winner" and "loser" for the night, you get yourself a breakaway contest to get it done, and those wins don't count in terms of tie breakers.

But, oh no, there's some artificial parity! It barely does anything, but it's a problem. As if anyone following the league doesn't know who the good and bad teams are.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...62017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=pointPctg

There's the league standings. Half way down, that's average. Problem solved.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm 100% down with going back to having ties. 10 minutes of 3 on 3 overtime then it ends in a tie. I think games would be decided in overtime 90% of the time.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The issue I, and others here have is not the final result but how that result is achieved. The NHL has no business using a gimmick to decide the winner and loser of games. It IMO cheapens the final result and between that and handing out points to losing teams it makes the league look like a joke.

You talk about going home after 60 or 65 minutes with nothing resolved, worse is watching a tense close exciting game for 60 or 65 minutes then having that excitement come to a screeching halt and replaced with some gimmicky play that is no better than flipping a coin to decide a winner.

I get it many don`t want ties, fine then come up with a better way to resolve those games, and no more giving out points to losing teams.

You say gimmick, others say competition, skill and fun.

And until fans start leaving games after OT, the shootout will remain. But that's not happening is it - every fan is on their feet living and dying with each shot. (and the tie game will never return to the NHL - which is a no-brainer!)

Watching shootouts must pain anti-fun fans like you, and watching fans enjoy it must make it even harder!

Good luck!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
A competition is about a competitive atmosphere. If two teams played to a tie after 70 minutes of play, something about that game made it a competitive one. One where the two teams were evenly matched that game.

So why force a winner?

I agree. We should have ties in the playoffs too. Maybe two teams can share the Stanley Cup. It will be great. All about the competition.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Do this end of regulation tie is a tie play 3/3 for 5 min winner gets extra point . No SO

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Ties might have been dull for casual fans of the game but at least, it didn't change the game.

3-on-3 and shootouts change the game. They're exciting because they're relatively novel and casual fans couldn't care less about the (history of the) game so they like seeing gimmicky pond hockey.

Yes, it actually is exciting since there's two less players on both teams but it's not (pure) hockey. At least, it gets a win/loss most of the time and if there's no score as a result, they can screw the goalie with constant breakaways until someone scores.

Having a shootout be a 'tiebreaker' for a playoff position is pathetic in my book. A skills competition to decide who is in or out of the playoffs? That's lame.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ties might have been dull for casual fans of the game but at least, it didn't change the game.

3-on-3 and shootouts change the game. They're exciting because they're relatively novel and casual fans couldn't care less about the (history of the) game so they like seeing gimmicky pond hockey.

Yes, it actually is exciting since there's two less players on both teams but it's not (pure) hockey. At least, it gets a win/loss most of the time and if there's no score as a result, they can screw the goalie with constant breakaways until someone scores.

Having a shootout be a 'tiebreaker' for a playoff position is pathetic in my book. A skills competition to decide who is in or out of the playoffs? That's lame.

So is having no winner.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

You know what fixes that? Winning your games, especially in regulation. If you do that, you don't have to worry about anything any other team does. If your season comes down to a skills competition, then you haven't done enough during the season, and you've earned your season coming down to a coin flip.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
3 points for a win
2pts for OT win
0 pt for ot loss

1 point each if no goal in OT

Why is a regulation time win more valuable than an OT win? Most ideas have this same thing, but why should a team get rewarded with an extra point to win in 60 minutes rather than 65? OT exists to try to determine a winner....so why is an OT win deemed to be less valuable?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad