Time to Go Back to Ties

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
The current overtime system is a joke. Three on three is fun to watch but it kills the integrity of each individual game that is decided by it.

Distributing 2 points in some games and 3 points in other games is just silly. When you have an extra point being given out in some games it devalues the importance of a win. You should either have a 3-0, 2-1 point system or go back to ties. From a fan perspective, an overtime win is not as satisfying as it used to be or should be, and an overtime loss is not as devastating.

I am 35 and I remember as a teenager watching the Sabres in the 90's, and it was so exciting to get an overtime win. Jeanneret would go nuts, you would pump for fist and maybe scream a wooo and go to bed happy. Winning a regular season overtime win is cheapened today and emotional up isn't as good.

You need the emotional ups and downs of sports to keep it interesting. The "well at least we got a point" is hurting the game. Stop giving away those points and let me feel elated with a win, or hurt with a loss.

What the NHL should do is go to a 7 or 8 minute 4 on 4 overtime. Four on Four still keeps the game open and three on three is fun, but come on, how can anyone take that seriously.

If there is no score in overtime then you have a time. There will be a lot less ties than there were in the old days and you now have a situation where there are no loser points. Much more fun to watch.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
3 on 3 is fun and the losing team still gets a point.

Shootouts need to go.

Make 3 on 3 10 minutes long and if its still tied after 10, each team gets 1 point.

I would expect very few games to end in a tie with a 10 min 3 on 3 when there is no benefit to stalling. No chance for an extra point in a coinflip if you go the distance.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
3 on 3 is fun and the losing team still gets a point.

Shootouts need to go.

Make 3 on 3 10 minutes long and if its still tied after 10, each team gets 1 point.

I would expect very few games to end in a tie with a 10 min 3 on 3 when there is no benefit to stalling.

It is fun to watch but for me, it devalues the game. It makes me less interested in watching the NHL overall. Also the whole point of my post was that giving the loser a point makes a win less valuable and less satisfying for a fan. There is a lot of parity in the league and a lot of games go to overtime. Having shootouts, 3 on 3 hockey and loser points decide who makes the playoffs, hurts the game in my opinion.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Game goes to OT
Both teams get a point.
10 minute 3-on-3 for the additional point
If neither team scores, no more points are awarded in that game.

Then they go to a shootout, which doesn't award points, but the winning team gets a shootout win in the standings, which will act as the first tiebreaker when determining playoff position.

Everybody wins. A teams point totals aren't artificially inflated by the shootout, spectators to the game still get a winner and a loser, and the shootout still has some impact (albeit decreased) on the standings.

mostunderratedposter*

Dec 21, 2016
3 on 3 is fun. Do 10 mins of 3 on 3 and if that doesn't score do 2 on 2 and if that doesn't work after 10 mins do 1 v 1 and if that doesn't work do just the goalies one on one.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
No no no no. No loser points. I may be in the minority and I am certainly not as die hard a fan as most of the people on this board but this wins less important. Getting an overtime win is much more fun when you know you didn't have a loser point to fall back on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think we can all agree that the shootout needs to go, but ties are not the answer.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I agree. Either go back to ties, or go to a 3-2-1 point system. I'm tired of the artificial parity three point games create now.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I agree. Either go back to ties, or go to a 3-2-1 point system. I'm tired of the artificial parity three point games create now.

Correct, how do you even judge what a .500 team is now? I see commentators and fans talk about a 20-20-8 team being .500 and I think no. That team does not have half the possible points they have played for. But some games are two points and some are three, it is so stupid.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Game goes to OT
Both teams get a point.

Then they go to a shootout, which doesn't award points, but the winning team gets a shootout win in the standings, which will act as the first tiebreaker when determining playoff position.

Everybody wins. A teams point totals aren't artificially inflated by the shootout, spectators to the game still get a winner and a loser, and the shootout still has some impact (albeit decreased) on the standings.

I actually really like this idea.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I absolutely DETEST that a losing team can get a point. [MOD]

Game goes into overtime 3v3 for ten minutes winner gets two points loser gets nothing.

In the event of a tie...nobody gets any points.

Call it tuff love.

(just realized we don't need to have 2 points awarded for victory if this were the case which I'm 100 percent ok with) But if you want keep with the 2 points win method, then I suggest that 2 points awarded if you win in regulation, and in OT 1 point is awarded.

NO POINTS FOR LOSING. PERIOD. You LOST. You get NOTHING.

Last edited by a moderator:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
How about a 3 point system.
3 for a regular win
2 points to the winner in overtime 1 for the loser as i think that a team who managed to survive the full 3 periods deserve to snatch a point form the other team.
Tie 1 point each

Shootouts should only be played in the games where there must be a winner. (standings point ties, finals etc)
Would perhaps make the league a bit more uneven top to bottom in points but we'd have an better look at what teams that have played great (winning mostly in the 3 periods).
Im just thinking loud here.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Game goes to OT
Both teams get a point.

This is a great idea. Even if they kept ot at five minutes and did everything else you suggested it would still be great.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
A loser point is worse than a tie.

I'm a vocal proponent of a 3-2-1-0 point system, but the system as is does exactly what the NHL wants it to do - create false parity keeping more teams in the playoff race longer, thus keeping more eyes on the product for longer. Any personal preference is going to lose to the one that creates more revenue.

That and **** ties.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Correct, how do you even judge what a .500 team is now? I see commentators and fans talk about a 20-20-8 team being .500 and I think no. That team does not have half the possible points they have played for. But some games are two points and some are three, it is so stupid.

Who cares what does or doesn't define a .500 team? Just look at the point totals - done!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I want 10 minutes of 3 on 3 and keep the shootout. More importantly, EVERY game should be worth 3 points.
Regulation win=3 pts, Overtime win=2, Overtime loss=1, Regulation loss=0

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I want 10 minutes of 3 on 3 and keep the shootout. More importantly, EVERY game should be worth 3 points.
Regulation win=3 pts, Overtime win=2, Overtime loss=1, Regulation loss=0

This would be the ideal solution in my eyes. Unfortunately the NHLPA doesn't want those extra 5 minutes of OT and the NHL wants the false parity so...I'm not expecting it any time soon.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't see how ties showcase more integrity... it's all a random subjective choice to whatever ail you want to end regular season games.

After watching that bonehead of final play by the Edmonton forwards last night, it also makes me just dislike 3 on 3 even more. It's sure fine if you want dumb defensive decisions made every few seconds leading to chances because that's all I keep seeing in a lot of 3 on 3 and I guess of a coach type mentality it's more frustrating than fun even watching it for random teams across the league.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The loser point is an artificial way for the NHL to create more parity. It blurs the line between bubble teams and rebuilding teams. I personally despise it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: