Time to be Optimistic

member 329811

Lot's of optimism for the new club and all the shiny new bling and there's nothing wrong with that. However, we should expect results and I'll be optimistic once they finally get out of the bottom 8.

What happens after that - I don't know .... but climbing out of the bottom is a milestone I hope they can accomplish this coming season.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Another positive is that the Sabres could be paying Berglund $2.45M this season if they hadn't terminated his contract back in 2018.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
It's a great time to jump on the Sabres bandwagon. When they win the cup, you can rightfully claim you became a fan when they were at their lowest point. This opportunity only comes along every 3 or 4 years.

Like Apple in the 90s. Kevyn is our Steve Jobs. "Players that want to be here" is their "Think Different." We are all going to be rich!

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I expect this team to be bad. Like, second year San Jose Sharks bad. But I do expect them to be exciting to watch.

Last year I got frustrated watching them. So I didn’t, outside of an occasional game and when a player made their NHL or Sabres debut. By the end of the season, I was watching nearly every game.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I really can't get there quite yet. If we trade Eichel for more than the garbage I expect maybe I can get there. If we trade Eichel for scraps and we win Wright lottery I can get there quick.

Reactions: Fearnot

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I can't think of many reasons on paper we'd be anything other than really bad. The only hope of being decent is if we have a turnaround kind of like NYI did after trading Tavares. I agree with others that at least under Granato they shouldn't be as frustrating to watch. Maybe they finally get rid of that "culture problem" they've had since 2015 or whatever. That would be a good start at least.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Note, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade about being optimistic about the team. It is only personally that I would be more optimistic that they're going to get moving forward via goaltending (think back to two years ago when a .500 goalie would've put them in playoff contention until the final week of the season).

Ironically the same reason many wanted out when Hutton shoyld have been shiwn the door instead

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I hate when people just write the whole year off like it won't be worth watching. I personally am very excited to see the likes of Cozens, Asplund, Mittelstadt, Ruotsalainen, Dahlin etc. get a year under Granato. I think it's going to be fun even if they're putrid.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Watching some Ruotsalainen highlights has me excited for his season. Him, bjork and Cozens had some nice chemistry. This guy has some nice wheels and skills. Who knows how good he could really be?

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Look at this prospect list from 2015 and then tell me, with a straight face, that we're not off to a better start. And we haven't even begun our "Eichel" year.

1. Jack Eichel
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Jake McCabe
4. Hudson Fasching
5. Nick Baptiste
6. Gustav Possler
7. Vaclav Karabacek
8. Justin Bailey
9. William Carrier
10. Andrey Makarov

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Steve Kournianos gave us the top grade of the draft. Think this is on apple podcasts too. Sabres are talked about starting around 1:29.

Feel free to move or add this to a draft thread. Not sure where to put it.

With Pronman giving them his top grade as well…kinda cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Club

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I expect this team to be bad. Like, second year San Jose Sharks bad. But I do expect them to be exciting to watch.

Last year I got frustrated watching them. So I didn’t, outside of an occasional game and when a player made their NHL or Sabres debut. By the end of the season, I was watching nearly every game.

I'm expecting them to be more of what we saw in the time frame after the streak -- competitive in 75% of the games and generally entertaining. Yeah, we'll have some stinkers......but I think it'll largely be an enjoyable experience.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I'm looking forward to this next season. Seeing the young guns play some exciting hockey with some big minutes.

Part of me also hopes Eichel connects with Granato and digs the new atmosphere and changes his mind as the season progresses.

I look at Stamkos. He's 31. He didn't win his first cup until 30. Eichel can totally be with this team as they build. He's a franchis center that can insulate Mitts and Cozens.
Big difference between Stamkos sticking it out in TB and Eichel in Buffalo.

In his 3rd year TB made playoffs. In his 7th they made the SCF’s. They had success to build on and keep him happy because of. We have nothing. Not even a sniff of play-offs.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I hate when people just write the whole year off like it won't be worth watching. I personally am very excited to see the likes of Cozens, Asplund, Mittelstadt, Ruotsalainen, Dahlin etc. get a year under Granato. I think it's going to be fun even if they're putrid.
If the players believe in the team, they'll try. If they don't believe they'll stop trying. Players that don't want to be here, don't believe. The fans will support a team that doesn't quit. A team that doesn't quit will develop and improve.

Reactions: slip

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
Im optimistic that this rebuild will be done the right way, which is slow and steady. The biggest mistake GMTM made was speeding up his rebuild and it cost this franchise dearly. If the right deal for Jack comes along and improves our team not just now but in the future then great......if not, i dont care if he sits out the next 5 years. Im over him and could care less if he ever wears a Sabres jersey again. :)

Reactions: Club

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If the players believe in the team, they'll try. If they don't believe they'll stop trying. Players that don't want to be here, don't believe. The fans will support a team that doesn't quit. A team that doesn't quit will develop and improve.

I will agree that Buffalo fans will support a hard working team that never gives up. It's still a lunch pail, work the corners, go fearlessly to the dirty spots type of town - sportsfan wise.

It's just too early to tell if that's what we have here.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Another small part of last year that I think shouldn't be forgotten was the fact that the young guys were literally playing Boston, Wash, Pitt, NYI, NYR, PHI every game. A guy like Cozens has already had to line up against Crosby, Bergeron etc. over and over

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Adams should probably stop saying that he doesn't expect to be competitive for a few seasons. That crap may buy him time but I doubt it inspires confidence in the players we have. I mean if Leicester City can win the freaking Premier League than this team can at least be in playoff contention going into the final few weeks of the season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Look at this prospect list from 2015 and then tell me, with a straight face, that we're not off to a better start. And we haven't even begun our "Eichel" year.

1. Jack Eichel
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Jake McCabe
4. Hudson Fasching
5. Nick Baptiste
6. Gustav Possler
7. Vaclav Karabacek
8. Justin Bailey
9. William Carrier
10. Andrey Makarov

check back in 2027…..

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Adams should probably stop saying that he doesn't expect to be competitive for a few seasons. That crap may buy him time but I doubt it inspires confidence in the players we have. I mean if Leicester City can win the freaking Premier League than this team can at least be in playoff contention going into the final few weeks of the season.

Sure if everything goes well you can have a playoff team. If Eichel plays for them or doesn’t. It depends if he’s traded what comes back that plays in nhl next year.

It’s better for him to lower expectations on next year than get blowback.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I don’t recall Adams saying we won’t be competitive for a few seasons. Maybe he did and I missed it.

Reactions: brian_griffin

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Another small part of last year that I think shouldn't be forgotten was the fact that the young guys were literally playing Boston, Wash, Pitt, NYI, NYR, PHI every game. A guy like Cozens has already had to line up against Crosby, Bergeron etc. over and over

Yep. The schedule was brutal last season from a time crunch and opponent perspective.

No matter how tough our division is this year it will only be 26 of our 82gms (playing each team 3 or 4x). Instead of 56 of 56 games playing them 8x each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lloydchristmas138

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad