Time to be Optimistic

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I have no problem watching a team put forth 100% effort and lose. I do however have a problem watching a team that has given up. That has been the case every season since Eichel has gotten here. As soon as playoffs seem out of reach the team mailed it in. Even though the second half of last year they sucked, I could still watch them because it seemed like they were still trying.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Have to get 2 good goalies, I don't think Ullmark re-signs with us. That will make a big difference, I feel. It may not get us into the playoffs, but sure will be better than knowing hutton is back there, ready to let in an easy goal.

If Jack stays, great. If not, we need a #1C to replace him.

I wonder if we have any type of prospects tourney before the preseason games begin?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's hard to be optimistic when your own organization's messaging is "we plan on losing for the next several seasons". It's great if you are Adams and want to save your ass by not having to produce results but it's killing this fanbase with death.

Reactions: EmeraldCitySabre

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
It's hard to be optimistic when your own organization's messaging is "we plan on losing for the next several seasons". It's great if you are Adams and want to save your ass by not having to produce results but it's killing this fanbase with death.

We’ll know more in a month, but I have a hunch they will be trying to compete this year

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
An Eichel trade is a pretty big factor, but I still think we're shaping up to be legit contenders with a large window. Even if Eichel is traded for something that doesn't totally blow us away we still have a strong foundation of higher end young players. Our 1st could be high again and we have an extra one already too.

It is taking a little longer than expected, and I would have liked to have kept Reinhart/Eichel, but the future remains very bright for the Sabres.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
No right now the future does not look bright for the Sabres. I would think they are the odds on favorite for last again next year

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm a little less optimistic because I only see Dahlin, Power, Cozens as higher end talent. Mitts, Luukkonen, Samuelsson, Johnson, Asplund, Quinn, Peterka, Rosen are all longer shots.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres are going to suck next year. But we're going to like it and we're going to have fun. Anyone who doesn't buy into that can get out of town! :laugh:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I think the plan is to follow the one right now under new regime, of GM, Karmanos, Ventura, Granato and staff I DEFINITELY feel optimism. Not for next year, maybe not the one after... But the fact that were most likely becoming a lottery team the next 2-3 seasons, along with the potential Eichel haul, which personally I think is unrepairable at this point. And a staff who has pedigree of success in a bit of regard.

I'm not going to be upset with the results next year. I feel like some/a lot of moves whether in the draft or trades/signings, management has made it's uptempo.

I personally think bringing in Craig and Dell, 2 goalies for a couple years gives UPL and Portillo possibly the chance to sizzle and rip shit up in the affiliate leagues. Craig can definitely help mentor.

And with the fact that Peterka, Power, Mitts, Dahlin, Cozens, + etc young SKILLLED players we acquire under Meatballs behind the bench, it's a good scenario to have.

But anyway

Reactions: Dirty Dog

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I'm optimistic. The current roster is flawed but I like letting the kids loose. I'm also an unabashed Granato supporter so I'm psyched he is the coach.

I'm not sure what I think of Adams just yet. I haven't been blown away or disgusted with his moves so it probably means he is at least ok so far.

I really like the idea of Cozens being the leader of the team and the face of the new core. I think his attitude and skill are a great fit for Buffalo style hockey.

Honestly, if the kids continue to grow and we see max effort hockey, I'll be a happy camper for this season. Next season I expect a fairly large step forward. This season is about building good habits and letting the new core take over.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Optimism still TBD on

Eichel trade

Not blowing our assets on Bogosian/Kane deals this time, until we have some NHL traction

but this team should be entertaining, because core pieces are already here (Cozens/Dahlin, Power next year)

This isn't the 13-15 tank. At all.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I’m optimistic. If things play out accordingly and we pick top 2, we’ll be in a better spot than when we drafted jack. Hopefully getting a solid prospect back that fits the 18/21 age range, plus another first to make it 3 in 2022 (one being top 2) to go with our group now I think we’ll have a lot more depth around the same age.
Wright/Lambert
2022 1st
2022 1st
Eichel return top prospect
Cozens
Mittelstadt
Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Quinn
Peterka
Rosen
Johnson
Laaksonen
Russians
Levi/UPL/Portillo
Get a 1C, another top 6W and a top 4 RHD that meets the core age group and we’re laughing. Well most likely have 5/6 chances at acquiring those peices being 2022/2023 drafts and the Eichel deal. Obviously we’ll need some of these guys to reach their potential but I think we have enough depth that a decent amount should be quality NHLers, but it’s definitley dependant on it .Then it will just be adding good vets imo

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm a little less optimistic because I only see Dahlin, Power, Cozens as higher end talent. Mitts, Luukkonen, Samuelsson, Johnson, Asplund, Quinn, Peterka, Rosen are all longer shots.

And I'm not even sure Power should be in that first grouping.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think a lot of us Sabres fans have been conditioned to be happier rooting for our team/prospects and not expecting to win rather than spending to the cap trying to make the playoffs.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I was excited about getting Hall and now I'm excited about the possibility of Wright. The only problem is that means being bad this year but I've accepted it. Even optimism for this team means more losing.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I don't care about the draft pick. I hope by some miracle Granato gets this team in the 20-24 range. Just get out of the cellar and go from there. I know we are almost certainly going to be bottom 3 though.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It feels like the team has at least purged itself almost entirely of the bad apples and constant underachievers. Eichel inevitably being traded will be the final nail in that coffin and I'm fine with it. The guys left on the roster are all pretty easy to root for. Heck, even Skinner has been fairly agreeable while his ice time got drastically cut under Kruger. I'm just going to find this year to be refreshing because these are guys who want to be here.

Also, I really think Mitts is going to have a career year. It's fun watching ultra skilled guys even if he isn't the total package in a lot of other ways. What matters this year is we'll get some highlight-reel plays from him and possibly a 65-70 pt season if he stays healthy simply because he'll have every single opportunity offered to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad