Time Machine Travel Question?

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you can go back in time to the start on the 2010-2011 season, name three moves that in retrospect you would like back. It can be anything, from drafting, trades, free agent signings et al.

Should be interesting to see what this board comes up with......

And if you can name it in order that would be a plus.

Wait to hear back from you all.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If you can go back in time to the start on the 2010-2011 season, name three moves that in retrospect you would like back. It can be anything, from drafting, trades, free agent signings et al.

Should be interesting to see what this board comes up with......

And if you can name it in order that would be a plus.

Wait to hear back from you all.

If you want a more responsive thread, change that to 2011-2012 after the Flyers series.

2010-2011 was hard to gauge with both Crosby and Malkin injured.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'll give my #1 mistake:

Paul Martin for 5 years at 5 million per year.

When he signed, many top NHL talking heads were saying that Martin will elevate his game and with the talented Penguins, he would quickly become a top performer getting top PP time. Expectations by many was a HUGE increase in point production into 8 - 10 goal and 30 - 40 assist seasons. Not only did his offensive game not improve it decreased significantly. His play was so bad, I think he got knocked down to 6th in the depth chart the first year behind Lovejoy and Brian Strait! His defensive play was so bad at times, he was borderline unplayable. He himself said he was embarrassed on how he played. He plays solid D when healthy but he's often out or has a nagging injury. He does eat up a lot of minutes on D and can shutdown players on one on one situations and penalty kill but is also prone to bad mental mistakes on the ice that should not be in someone's game with the amount of hockey he played in his career. We signed him to be elite and he is not.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll give my #1 mistake:

Paul Martin for 5 years at 5 million per year.

When he signed, many top NHL talking heads were saying that Martin will elevate his game and with the talented Penguins, he would quickly become a top performer getting top PP time. Expectations by many was a HUGE increase in point production into 8 - 10 goal and 30 - 40 assist seasons. Not only did his offensive game not improve it decreased significantly. His play was so bad, I think he got knocked down to 6th in the depth chart the first year behind Lovejoy and Brian Strait! His defensive play was so bad at times, he was borderline unplayable. He himself said he was embarrassed on how he played. He plays solid D when healthy but he's often out or has a nagging injury. He does eat up a lot of minutes on D and can shutdown players on one on one situations and penalty kill but is also prone to bad mental mistakes on the ice that should not be in someone's game with the amount of hockey he played in his career. We signed him to be elite and he is not.

I hated the Martin/Michaluk signings at the time. Alot of money for 2 very soft D-Men but Shero needed to have them all!

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Whatever moves would allow them to have the 4th line be Scott-Godard-MacIntyre for at least 3 years.

Unintended benefit of this is that Adams can easily get bumped to the 3rd line.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If you seriously want to go back and change the fortunes of this team, all you need to two stops.

Stop #1- Go to May 2010 and convince Montreal that Game 1 of the EC Semis was legit and pull Halak for the rest of the series. Or you could just go Tanya Harding on him and remove him completely from the equation.

Stop #2- Go to Feb 11th, 2011 and just completely wipe out the "Brawl on the Island" game. If you eliminate this game I think you wipe out most of the arrogance and mindset of the the way the roster was built from then on out.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Fire DB
Draft FF
Draft Saad

HM in order:
Undo Morrow for Morrow
Undo Murray for two 2nds
Don't sign Scuds
Don't sign Duper
Don't sign Adams

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
If you seriously want to go back and change the fortunes of this team, all you need to two stops.

Stop #1- Go to May 2010 and convince Montreal that Game 1 of the EC Semis was legit and pull Halak for the rest of the series. Or you could just go Tanya Harding on him and remove him completely from the equation.

Stop #2- Go to Feb 11th, 2011 and just completely wipe out the "Brawl on the Island" game. If you eliminate this game I think you wipe out most of the arrogance and mindset of the the way the roster was built from then on out.

Stop #3 - Go to Winter Classic against Capitals and sit Crosby for that shift when he gets hit and replace with Adams.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Drafting FF and Saad fixes almost all our issues up front. I'm sure a lot of teams would ask for do overs on Saad, but damn that one hurts.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
obviously if i'm in a time machine i fire bylsma and shero as early as possible even if it doesn't make sense. like day after winning the cup. roll the dice that however the next 5 years play out is better than the top 10 all-time embarrassment we got

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I was more upset over putting all the eggs in the Parise/Suter basket and panicking when that fell through than signing Martin and Z.

Martin and Z filled a longterm need. Parise and Suter holding pattern helped the team miss out on basically 2 full tiers of free agents.

Saying you'd fire Bylsma and/or Shero if you had a time machine, as a Pens fan, is the equivalent of a regular person saying they'd kill Hitler if they had one. It's a given.

The Guapo

Jul 25, 2014
I am going to go a different route. If we could revisit the Whitney for Kunitz + and the Gogo for Neal + trades we would be better off I think. The trades in themselves were great...don't get me wrong. But I beleive they shaped Shero's strategy for building the team: "Hey...all I need to do is stockpile puck moving defensemen then I can trade them for whatever I like." That strategy was made worse when Bylsma didn't play the young defensement (maximizing the benefit of cheap, productive players) and Shero proceeded to sign/trade for more defensemen (Eaton, Scuderi, Crankshaft, etc). I think this strategy, which was kicked off by those trades, is what got the Penguins into the mess they are now in.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I am going to go a different route. If we could revisit the Whitney for Kunitz + and the Gogo for Neal + trades we would be better off I think. The trades in themselves were great...don't get me wrong. But I beleive they shaped Shero's strategy for building the team: "Hey...all I need to do is stockpile puck moving defensemen then I can trade them for whatever I like." That strategy was made worse when Bylsma didn't play the young defensement (maximizing the benefit of cheap, productive players) and Shero proceeded to sign/trade for more defensemen (Eaton, Scuderi, Crankshaft, etc). I think this strategy, which was kicked off by those trades, is what got the Penguins into the mess they are now in.

What you're basically saying is keep the trades as is, but fire the guy who failed to continue to execute the plan and the guy who failed to use the pieces he was given.

Sooooo... Fire Shero and Blymsa

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
All about drafting. Don't let Shero make the decisions, hire actual scouts then make these changes to the drafts

2011:
#23 - Replace Morrow with Saad
#54 - Replace Harrington with Kucherov (I like Harrington but we had enough D)
#174 - Replace Archibald with Palat

2012:
#8 - Replace Pouliot with Forsberg
#22 - Keep Maatta
#83 - Replace Murray (G) w F.Anderson (G)

By doing this we would not have traded for Brendan Morrow which would have been fine. We would be thinner in depth on the blue line but this would set up the top 9 and also Anderson would have been a legit replacement for Fleury.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
All about drafting. Don't let Shero make the decisions, hire actual scouts then make these changes to the drafts

2011:
#23 - Replace Morrow with Saad
#54 - Replace Harrington with Kucherov (I like Harrington but we had enough D)
#174 - Replace Archibald with Palat

2012:
#8 - Replace Pouliot with Forsberg
#22 - Keep Maatta
#83 - Replace Murray (G) w F.Anderson (G)

By doing this we would not have traded for Brendan Morrow which would have been fine. We would be thinner in depth on the blue line but this would set up the top 9 and also Anderson would have been a legit replacement for Fleury.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Go back and trade the 1st overall draft pick in the 2005 draft. I mean...it's all Crosby's fault that this team is playing like trash, at least that is what I have been reading today in other threads on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad