Time for the NHL to have 3rd Goalie on Roster

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don't think so. The EBUG is supposed to be for both teams in an emergency--not just one.

The emergency is that the team doesn't have a third goalie on the 23-man active roster who is in the building and ready to go.

From the CBA: In the event a club's goaltender becomes unavailable due to incapacitating injury, illness or league suspension such that the club may not have two goaltenders on its playing roster and the club is at the active roster limit, the club shall be permitted to exceed the active roster limit for purposes of adding a goaltender to its active roster ("replacement goaltender") to replace the unavailable goaltender.

Since Lundqvist is on the 23-man active roster and in the building already, there would be no need for the Rangers to sign and dress the EBUG. The league would allow Lundqvist to suit up in the same way that they allow an EBUG who wasn't on the original 20-man playing roster to suit up. What the league is now considering is whether to allow teams to use a "24th" active roster spot on a traveling practice goalie for less than league minimum and which wouldn't count against the cap. Basically their own vetted EBUG. Or they can do what the Rangers currently do and just carry three NHL goalies but that comes at the price of having one less active roster spot for a skater.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The emergency is that the team doesn't have a third goalie on the 23-man active roster who is in the building and ready to go.

From the CBA: In the event a club's goaltender becomes unavailable due to incapacitating injury, illness or league suspension such that the club may not have two goaltenders on its playing roster and the club is at the active roster limit, the club shall be permitted to exceed the active roster limit for purposes of adding a goaltender to its active roster ("replacement goaltender") to replace the unavailable goaltender.

Since Lundqvist is on the 23-man active roster and in the building already, there would be no need for the Rangers to sign and dress the EBUG. The league would allow Lundqvist to suit up in the same way that they allow an EBUG who wasn't on the original 20-man playing roster to suit up. What the league is now considering is whether to allow teams to use a "24th" active roster spot on a traveling practice goalie for less than league minimum and which wouldn't count against the cap. Basically their own vetted EBUG. Or they can do what the Rangers currently do and just carry three NHL goalies but that comes at the price of having one less active roster spot for a skater.

There is some sense to that. I'm just not sure about some of the language here for instance if they left out that 'league suspension' bit--that's kind of after a game is over thing. It's not clear to me exactly what they're trying to say here. It seems somewhat to be about temporarily exceeding the active roster limit in case of injury to a goalie and maybe or maybe not about the EBUG at all.

Technical language though sometimes gives me a f***ing headache. I hate legalese--often it can be argued in a bunch of different ways. There are words that can have different meanings that can lead to different interpretations. But to be honest I'm not always that hot with manuals of how to put something together.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
If Igor and Georgie were injured in Carolina Hank would have been allowed to enter, right?
From the rulebook:

The 2019-20 NHL Official Rules say, in part, "In regular League and Playoff games, if both listed goalkeepers are incapacitated, that team shall be entitled to dress and play any available goalkeeper who is eligible."

So the question is...was Hank "eligible" in that situation? The EBUG is eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad