Time for the NHL to have 3rd Goalie on Roster

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
After this whole thing with David Ayres and our situation with McBackup (Great name), it's about time that the league would allow three goaltenders on the roster with the third goalie not dressed but in the arena.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
All teams should have to pay ~700,000/year for a minimum salary third goalie to watch the game from the press box because of a situation that occurs less than one time per season? And that third goalie would have to be some veteran non-prospect who they, and the team, would be ok with not playing at all?

I fully agree. Also it's a great story, so why the urge to prevent something like that from happening ever again?

If at all, maybe allow teams to have a 3rd goalie ready in the playoffs, because there one game can really make a big difference plus often a 3rd goalie is with the team anyway after elimination of the minor league affiliates.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Nah the rosters are fine. This thing happens every so often. If I'm not mistaken most teams already do have an emergency backup at the facility in either case, think David Ayres was Toronto's.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Ha! That's not a Rangers problem. We already have 3!

All kidding aside, that PO scenario needs to be addressed. Wouldn't want ONE team to lose an important PO game with an inferior goaltender. Not to mention replacement might have a heart attack going in. I know I would.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Which also BEGS the question......does Carolina's "goalie in the stands" get his name engraved on Cup if they should win it all? What if those 2 pts gets them IN, opposed to out of PO's. Does he get a cut?

Reactions: Greg02

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Ha! That's not a Rangers problem. We already have 3!

All kidding aside, that PO scenario needs to be addressed. Wouldn't want ONE team to lose an important PO game with an inferior goaltender. Not to mention replacement might have a heart attack going in. I know I would.
Teams typically call up a third goaltender for playoff standby duty .

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Which also BEGS the question......does Carolina's "goalie in the stands" get his name engraved on Cup if they should win it all? What if those 2 pts gets them IN, opposed to out of PO's. Does he get a cut?

He would not get his name on the Cup as he doesn't qualify. It would be like a guy playing a few shifts in one game as a fourth liner and gets sent back down.

He's never been under contract to the Hurricanes.

However, the Hurricanes would probably give him a ring should they win the Cup.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I see people saying you can already do that but no team is going to have three goalies active for a game. This is why the rule needs to be changed and there is a "3rd" goalie with some kind of veteran status like j.f berube for example, that is technically always active and would put his gear on as soon as the first goalie is knocked out. No idea how this is not a thing. I've been perplexed for years about this

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If Igor and Georgie were injured in Carolina Hank would have been allowed to enter, right?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It doesn't happen very often. I don't see a need to make a change. It's fixing a problem that doesn't even really exist.

The EBUG is a cool thing, anyway.

Reactions: eco's bones

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If Igor and Georgie were injured in Carolina Hank would have been allowed to enter, right?

could be wrong but I believe the answer is no and they would have had to use the emergency goalie in the crowd.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
After this whole thing with David Ayres and our situation with McBackup (Great name), it's about time that the league would allow three goaltenders on the roster with the third goalie not dressed but in the arena.

I don't get why if both goalies are injured they have to dress up somebody from the crowd as a goalie, why can't they just dress up one of the 18 players?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In Sweden you can have a 3rd goalie registered, but that guy is far from always available in the build and rarely on the road.

When this happens, most of the time you throw a skater between the pipes. The skater gets 10 minutes to put on the gear, then you go.

I think Panarin would be a great goalie. :)

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
EBUG is one of the quirkiest rules in sports. Don't let it go away. The chances of both goalies getting hurt or leaving in the same game are very rare, even if it's happened twice in the last three seasons.

Side note, I was front and center to the Connor Crisp game in the OHL and still remember it well. The OHL did not have a rule that teams needed to dress two goalies and it changed because of that game.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Goalies would object. None of our goalies are happy that we have 3 guys sharing the reps in practice and having to be scratched for games.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The EBUG is provided by the home team in the event that all goalies on either team's roster (not lineup) are injured at game time. So if Igor and Georgie got hurt in Carolina, Hank would have been allowed to put the equipment on. Carp looked into this recently and confirmed the rule.

Bottom line is that any team is free to carry three or more goalies on the roster if they want to further reduce the risk of an EBUG situation.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
He would not get his name on the Cup as he doesn't qualify. It would be like a guy playing a few shifts in one game as a fourth liner and gets sent back down.

He's never been under contract to the Hurricanes.

However, the Hurricanes would probably give him a ring should they win the Cup.
Probably like the ring I gave a female friend of mine. Engraved, "thanks for the night, it was fun while it lasted".

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Bill Daly said the league would discuss the EBUG at the GM meetings next week.

only because the leafs lost to one..if the leafs won or it was another team then the league wouldn't care.

does anyone know how many times one of these goalies has even been used? the fact that the nhl is focused on something that happens maybe once a year across the league is laughable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad