Time for the Flames to Finally Rebuild

Should the Flames Rebuild?

• Total voters

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Lucic will sign veteran 1year 1million thats the way the league works now for guys like him , I keep Zadorov he's a good skater and a big boy who plays a big boy game , dump Hanifin and Tanev for sure for picks , Dump Toffoli while he's looking much better than he is , offer Ritchie the same 1million vet deal as Lucic , they can pair up on the fourth line , trade Coleman for a new coke machine and a years worth of product for the boys , Lewis can come back for the same 800k he made this year as a chearleader / mentor for the young guys we get out of dumping all this deadweight . Oh I almost forgot Markstrom move him for whatever we can get or he go's on LTIR for the balance of his deal , if being Pejorative Slured {damn Autocorrect this should say the R word for mentally challenged } isn't a long term disability what is ?
Or we can run it all back and see if maybe they can find a way to win some these one goal games and games where they out play and out shoot the opponent 50 to 15 . Not a popular option but an option none the less and a better option if they get rid of the mentally challenged guy that put Ritchie in for a must score must win shoot out instead of maybe one of the guys who has scored a half dozen shorties or so , all on breakaways .

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Imagine the amount of picks we could get if we traded Weegar, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifin, Backlund, Toffoli, Lindholm and Zadorov. I could see an argument for keeping most of our D together with Wolf. But the other guys should be sold 100%. Top 20 picks or or top prospects or young roster players in return. It can be in the summer or at the deadline.

Hopefully Huberdeau, Markstrom and Kadri bounce back. Then they can be traded too. Mangiapane has more value in a few years as a UFA so I’m holding onto him too.

Time to go young and not wait for our assets to get old and useless.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Lucic will sign veteran 1year 1million thats the way the league works now for guys like him , I keep Zadorov he's a good skater and a big boy who plays a big boy game , dump Hanifin and Tanev for sure for picks , Dump Toffoli while he's looking much better than he is , offer Ritchie the same 1million vet deal as Lucic , they can pair up on the fourth line , trade Coleman for a new coke machine and a years worth of product for the boys , Lewis can come back for the same 800k he made this year as a chearleader / mentor for the young guys we get out of dumping all this deadweight . Oh I almost forgot Markstrom move him for whatever we can get or he go's on LTIR for the balance of his deal , if being Pejorative Slured {damn Autocorrect this should say the R word for mentally challenged } isn't a long term disability what is ?
Or we can run it all back and see if maybe they can find a way to win some these one goal games and games where they out play and out shoot the opponent 50 to 15 . Not a popular option but an option none the less and a better option if they get rid of the mentally challenged guy that put Ritchie in for a must score must win shoot out instead of maybe one of the guys who has scored a half dozen shorties or so , all on breakaways .
How can the goons mentor from the ice when all the young guys are in the press box?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Colorado would be interested in Lindholm, Backlund or Dube depending on the cost/if Colorado has the assets to get them. Essentially every prospect+Newhook and pick is available.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
nope. 2 contracts stop ya and you know who those contracts are.
Gotta say, it's real baffling that this quote unquote mentality only applies to the Flames and no other team apparently.

Cause like, have you looked at the Sharks' roster? They have all of Karlsson, Vlasic, Hertl, & Couture locked up for 7M to 11.5M (combined total of 34.6M) for the next 3 to 8 years and they're currently 4th last in the league. And one of those players even put up a 100 points and they're still awful.

Or Columbus with Gaudreau and Werenski. Or Washington with all of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlsson, & Wilson and they're still 8th last. Or the Kings who rebuilt despite having Doughty, Kopitar, & Quick.

In the age of parity, the line between bottom feeder and playoff contender isn't as wide as it once was.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
We got 93 points this season after MAJOR changes last season. We lost two 40 goal (and 100 point) men, a seven time 20 goal man (even if often injured), a 47 point mobile defenceman, and part of the twin towers d-man in the off-season. Three of those guys were part of the leadership core.

The players brought in under performed with the exception of Weegar.

Returning players Lindholm, Mangiapane and Markstrom had sub-par years by their standards.

Now is not the time to blow the team up or purposely tank to gain a lottery draft pick.

Assuming that prospects like Coronato, Pelletier, Duehr, Wolf, and returning 2nd or 3rd year men Ruzicka, and Gilbert make the club, that will be plenty of change.

I think a trade will have to happen to free up cap room (assuming the cap doesn't increase more) that could involve one or two roster players might be in the cards.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
nope. 2 contracts stop ya and you know who those contracts are.
to be fair those contracts do not stop a rebuild they assist. Kadri and Huberdeau are NOT difference makers they are secondary players so while their contracts are large and long they are also contracts that are needed by rebuilding clubs to help hit the cap floor.

Trading Toffoli, Lindholm, Backlund, Tanev, Hanifin, Zadorov and possibly Kylington would bring in enough draft and prospect capital to drive the rebuild.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
We got 93 points this season after MAJOR changes last season. We lost two 40 goal (and 100 point) men, a seven time 20 goal man (even if often injured), a 47 point mobile defenceman, and part of the twin towers d-man in the off-season. Three of those guys were part of the leadership core.

The players brought in under performed with the exception of Weegar.

Returning players Lindholm, Mangiapane and Markstrom had sub-par years by their standards.

Now is not the time to blow the team up or purposely tank to gain a lottery draft pick.

Assuming that prospects like Coronato, Pelletier, Duehr, Wolf, and returning 2nd or 3rd year men Ruzicka, and Gilbert make the club, that will be plenty of change.

I think a trade will have to happen to free up cap room (assuming the cap doesn't increase more) that could involve one or two roster players might be in the cards.
Kadri didn't underperform. He reverted back to his career norms after having a phenomenal career/contract year. Kadri was exactly what people should have expected and was exactly why they should not have signed him to a 7x7 contract.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think he under performed in other ways, specifically defensively and his 'give o crap' meter.

I agree that 7M is an overpay, although if he puts up another 15 or 20 points in a season or even approaches what Backlund brings defensively I might be able to live with it.

Personally, I'd trade him now.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pittsburgh misses the playoffs for the first time in 16 years and clears out their front office.

This organization is so romantic, I don't understand

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh misses the playoffs for the first time in 16 years and clears out their front office.

This organization is so romantic, I don't understand
I hope to f***ing god if they fire tre, they don't replace him with Hextall.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I honestly don’t think he did that bad in Philly. If he are rebuilding I think he’d be better than a lot of the other options.
Provorov and Konecny were good picks. That's on the scouts though. If Bobby Clarke is to be believed (I don't necessarily think he should be believed) Hextall overruled everybody and took Patrick over Makar. The rest of his tenure in Philly is an unmitigated disaster, and he just cemented himself as one of the worst in history with how he handled the Penguins.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Provorov and Konecny were good picks. That's on the scouts though. If Bobby Clarke is to be believed (I don't necessarily think he should be believed) Hextall overruled everybody and took Patrick over Makar. The rest of his tenure in Philly is an unmitigated disaster, and he just cemented himself as one of the worst in history with how he handled the Penguins.

The pens have been on the down for years. Haven’t won a series since 2018 and their core is just aging out.

Unmitigated disaster? Don’t know if I agree with that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The pens have been on the down for years. Haven’t won a series since 2018 and their core is just aging out.

Unmitigated disaster? Don’t know if I agree with that.
He grudgingly extended Malkin and Letang. So he's got 3 legends on multi-year deals. Instead of realizing the situation he's in, and getting creative on how to bolster that lineup, he protects Carter in the expansion draft, doesn't do anything else, and then when he wakes up from hibernation and realizes they're in danger of missing the playoffs, he trades a draft pick, the only thing he values, for Mikael Granlund and Bonino in a so obviously half-hearted attempt to show he's trying to win. If he was an alert, competent GM, maybe even tries to retool on the fly, but he did nothing.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He grudgingly extended Malkin and Letang. So he's got 3 legends on multi-year deals. Instead of realizing the situation he's in, and getting creative on how to bolster that lineup, he protects Carter in the expansion draft, doesn't do anything else, and then when he wakes up from hibernation and realizes they're in danger of missing the playoffs, he trades a draft pick, the only thing he values, for Mikael Granlund, in a so obviously half-hearted attempt to show he's trying to win. If he was an alert, competent GM, maybe even tries to retool on the fly, but he did nothing.

Again I don’t think he’s the guy for a win now roster. But if this core is done, I think we could do worse to building a new one.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Btw hanifin is open to an extension @Mobiandi. Just in case your day wasn’t bad enough.

I’d be fine if it was in the 6m range. Anything more and he just wants massive money no thank you.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I am just going to say that if Lindholm and Backlund won't extend and are correctly traded this offseason then the Flames should also move out the rest of that pending UFA class as well.
Lindholm is or is close to the best forward we have on the team and Backlund is in the top 6 if they want out they have to start to think about rebuilding.

Regardless of everything- Toffoli needs to be traded not extended.

Reactions: super6646

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Again I don’t think he’s the guy for a win now roster. But if this core is done, I think we could do worse to building a new one.
I agree the Flyers are one of the worst run organizations, and Hextall was dealt a bad hand, ie. cleaning up someone else's mess, and then they got impatient with him. If you're going to hire a gm to start a rebuild, you should look for one who is good at more than one aspect. Anybody can trade players for picks and sit on their hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad