Time for the Flames to Finally Rebuild

Should the Flames Rebuild?

• Total voters

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
started off as a joke response but i got carried away:

That was a well written article actually.

This line made me laugh:

"robbing from Peter Maher to pay Paul" lulz.

Yeah I agree. A rebuild requires tons of top draft picks and tons of complementary draft picks. It's a quality and quantity combination because you don't know if your #1s will be a a Yakapov or McDavid.

Also, I agree we've not had in the last 30+ years a real sniper threat like a Stamkos (not taking away from a power forward in Iginla for about 10 years, after which he started to be a non-factor in the last 3 or so years of his final contract). I lamented this fact this year that there was no one-time threat on the power play from any side (imagine Tampa with Stamkos on the left and kucherov on the right not to mention Point in the middle as shooting threats). Conversely, it seemed every shot for our power play required stopping the puck, setting and then shooting . . . Into the plexiglass or wide lol.

But again, very well written.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lucic-Lewis 4 life. If I can’t fall in love with 4th line crap than the we might as well just end it all in a blaze of fire… exploding nuclear warheads.

The youth don’t earn it because they are entitled. But lucic did by pretending to attempt to block a shot last game. He earned it.

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
The rebuild would only have to entail procuring a goalie who is unbeatable is SO, and getting a player who is unstoppable in 3v3 or SO… 21% of flames games were losses playing gimmick hockey.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
How can you rebuild when you don't have a 1st? Like how? Let's fight for high 2nd rounders?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
They can't, not really. That ship sailed when the ink dried on Huberdeau and Kadri's deals.

Markstrom, Huberdeau and Kadri are likely all unmovable contracts.

They could do something where they flip Lindholm, Hanifin and possibly Backlund for assets but it would be the typical Flames "retool" where they are never bad enough to actually make a high pick.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Rebuild should have started at trade deadline 2022 when Gaudreau wasn't extended.

This is a team missing it's #1 defenseman and had their #1 goalie turn into the second coming of Andrei Trefilov.

Even considering that, bad puck luck and bizarre player usage sunk this team's playoff chances this season. Something that new coaching could address.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
A retool could have happened last season however
they decided to extend Huberdeau, and Weegar instead of flipping them and because of that they signed Kadri and traded a 1st to get rid of Monahan instead of just sucking up another year of Monahan.

Now they are heading into an offseason of salary cap hell which makes it tougher to get fair value in trades but they have some great value 1 yr contracts that they could flip for young assets and picks in order of exit:
Toffoli (the absolute must sell at the draft some idiot GM will decide 30 goals plus a stanley cup resume is worth a 1st plus a good prospect which means we break even on him)
Zadorov (he had one of his better seasons I think some dumb F*** of a GM will offer up a 2nd and a 3rd for him)
Hanifin
Tanev
Lindholm
Backlund

Kylington (I think he stays because I think the Flames bought a lot of good will with him and he'll be cheap to extend)

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Flames need to start winning the “asset” battles. We keep trading 1sts and 2nds for non-core players. We keep spending big money on players that are outside the NHL “elite” core.

What we need to do is put up for auction this off-season the 2024 UFAs - Lindholm, Toffoli, Zadorov, Backlund, Tanev and Hanifin. Load up on picks and prospects. Then in 2023 free agency add capable veterans like we did with Wideman and Hudler. This time however do not follow that up with Hamilton and Hamonic type trades. Keep those 1st rounders.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Rebuild should have started at trade deadline 2022 when Gaudreau wasn't extended.

This is a team missing it's #1 defenseman and had their #1 goalie turn into the second coming of Andrei Trefilov.

Even considering that, bad puck luck and bizarre player usage sunk this team's playoff chances this season. Something that new coaching could address.
Would you have really rebuilt when JG is getting 100 pts and leading the division by a bazillion points tho?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Flames need to start winning the “asset” battles. We keep trading 1sts and 2nds for non-core players. We keep spending big money on players that are outside the NHL “elite” core.

What we need to do is put up for auction this off-season the 2024 UFAs - Lindholm, Toffoli, Zadorov, Backlund, Tanev and Hanifin. Load up on picks and prospects. Then in 2023 free agency add capable veterans like we did with Wideman and Hudler. This time however do not follow that up with Hamilton and Hamonic type trades. Keep those 1st rounders.
no more "capable" vets those are the 30 year olds that cost 4 to 7 M per year as UFA's
commit to youth and find some speed

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
Offload: Toffoli, Hanifin, Backlund, Tanev, all UFA´s
Keep: Lindholm (if interested and contract conditions are OK); if not, think about keeping Toffoli

Flames have lost a great chance to capitalize on these players during the trade deadline period. The team could be in a much better situation right now. The rest of the core should get a chance under a new coach.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They could still win the lottery and get 4th pick, then trade 4th and all of their picks for 2nd. Then everybody happy

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They could still win the lottery and get 4th pick, then trade 4th and all of their picks for 2nd. Then everybody happy
that would be crazy if they win and get the 4th they keep it and all the other picks. the difference between 2nd and 4th is not huge (unless you think there is a Bennet Jinx) plus the biggest thing is the pundits are saying the 2nd best player is going to slide cause he is signed in the KHL for 2 more season.

Reactions: SlovakFlame

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
that would be crazy if they win and get the 4th they keep it and all the other picks. the difference between 2nd and 4th is not huge (unless you think there is a Bennet Jinx) plus the biggest thing is the pundits are saying the 2nd best player is going to slide cause he is signed in the KHL for 2 more season.
I just meant more that you can't win in this league unless you get a chosen one in the top 2-3. If they pick 4th, it's just prolonging mediocrity.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
That 1st rounder to MTL kills any chance of a real rebuild for a couple years
It sucks… but selling high on Toffoli after a career year can recoup it. Shit I’d even eat half of his 4.25 next year to increase the value. 70 point player at little over $2m? Who wouldn’t be in on that? That’s why he goes before the draft.

Or we’re not serious about rebuilding/retooling.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Would you have really rebuilt when JG is getting 100 pts and leading the division by a bazillion points tho?
Yes. In fact I'm on record saying if he's not extended by the deadline you have to trade him.

Probably not something ownership would have embraced, considering the extra playoff revenue. Fans probably would've rioted too lol.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Best thing for team tank is to sign Lucic to a 3 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad